• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HeathM

HeathM

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

I'm curious as to what people's experience has been regarding heroic doses and if anyone has encountered the 'spirit of the mushroom'. I remember someone had mentioned an experience of seeing and talking with mushrooms in Daniel Pinchbecks book "Breaking Open the Head". I myself am getting ready to embark on a "Hero's Journey" with a therapist in the next few months and wanted to hear from others as well. 

• Moonless likes this

#2 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 03:47 PM

The Hero's Journey is a hypothetical pattern in mythology, popularized by Joseph Campbell, a literature professor who studied various mythologies of the world and found that they share many underlying archetypal patterns. He wasn't the first to notice this, but he made comparative mythology a mainstream topic. Terence McKenna established 5 grams of dried Psilocybe cubensis as the benchmark "heroic dose", though I would argue that this is pretty arbitrary and nonsensical. To me, the hero's journey is simply a pervasive symbol of God's incarnation into the material world of suffering, which is by necessity a great sacrifice. It is the transformation of the Eternal into the Temporal, timeless into time-bound. Every transitional act that requires a conquest over fear--from birth, to taking one's first steps, to bungee jumping, to eating a pile of gnarly toadstools--these are all echos of the hero's journey that began with God's incarnation as a BE-ing. The spirit of the mushroom is simply your own unconscious soul speaking to the part of you that "you" normally identify with. It is your true divine nature revealing itself to you through the veil of your ego, which has been conditioned by your upbringing and your culture to believe that it is in control of your life. Just my opinion.

Welcome, and good luck on your Journey!

Edited by DonShadow, 01 April 2020 - 03:50 PM.

• Oneyedraven, Boebs, Moonless and 1 other like this

#3 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:16 PM

The narrative and role of the hero and her journey is not just one thing. The hero and her journey are not eternal, they are temporal. There are many hero myths that are merely loosely connected by their percieved likeness in structure and psychological significance. When you go into the session keep your intention and focus on why you are going on this quest.Forget about the naritive and how the hero acts. The narrative will take on what it needs to be naturally, the hero (you) will be guided to act in best regard by you and your therapist. Intent is the most important aspect.

When you come back you might be astounded at the likeness to some cultural myths. Or perhaps you will create your own myth. Nevertheless you will have experienced a heros journey.

Like Don said, the spirit of the mushroom is within you. It may feel like you are rediscovering something long forgotten about yourself. Once the connection is made you can call on this spirit for support. Best wishes friend!

• Oneyedraven likes this

#4 Oneyedraven

Oneyedraven

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 246 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:48 PM

The Hero's Journey is a hypothetical pattern in mythology, popularized by Joseph Campbell, a literature professor who studied various mythologies of the world and found that they share many underlying archetypal patterns. He wasn't the first to notice this, but he made comparative mythology a mainstream topic. Terence McKenna established 5 grams of dried Psilocybe cubensis as the benchmark "heroic dose", though I would argue that this is pretty arbitrary and nonsensical. To me, the hero's journey is simply a pervasive symbol of God's incarnation into the material world of suffering, which is by necessity a great sacrifice. It is the transformation of the Eternal into the Temporal, timeless into time-bound. Every transitional act that requires a conquest over fear--from birth, to taking one's first steps, to bungee jumping, to eating a pile of gnarly toadstools--these are all echos of the hero's journey that began with God's incarnation as a BE-ing. The spirit of the mushroom is simply your own unconscious soul speaking to the part of you that "you" normally identify with. It is your true divine nature revealing itself to you through the veil of your ego, which has been conditioned by your upbringing and your culture to believe that it is in control of your life. Just my opinion.

Don

Glad to see someone else mention archetypes - trying to introduce the idea in another thread (fun with Hitchens) I think I’m the proverbial counter point there but ... alas my writing skills and knowledge of the subject matter need sharpened to pull that off successfully.

Just getting my feet wet in the subject (can’t read fast enough to take it all in) but seems to be a lot there. Combined with my (limited) psychedelic encounters working through 2 books Maps of meaning and Way of the psychonaut. I don’t mean to high jack the thread but interested in your understandingly the topic. New thread perhaps?

#5 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 542 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 07:24 PM

Don

Glad to see someone else mention archetypes - trying to introduce the idea in another thread (fun with Hitchens) I think I’m the proverbial counter point there but ... alas my writing skills and knowledge of the subject matter need sharpened to pull that off successfully.

Just getting my feet wet in the subject (can’t read fast enough to take it all in) but seems to be a lot there. Combined with my (limited) psychedelic encounters working through 2 books Maps of meaning and Way of the psychonaut. I don’t mean to high jack the thread but interested in your understandingly the topic. New thread perhaps?

Id be down to discuss archetypes. Im not so familar with hitchens tho.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!