• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:18 PM

With all of these pandemic threads how do we not have one for pandemic fashion? :tongue:

I made this N95 mask to match my hat. In the end I added a turquoise cabochon to further match the hat and to link it to my epicenter pride shirt.

100_9837.JPG

This one I just made up because it looks cool, if the pandemic keeps going long enough I may make a hat to match.

100_9838.JPG

I couldnt believe I didnt have any metal spikes or studs in my art supplies. An order is in, though.

If masks are still in fashion in a month I'll be sporting ones with studs and spikes.

Who else is having fun with fashion in the lockdown?

• Soliver, Skywatcher, Moonless and 2 others like this

#2 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 01 April 2020 - 06:25 PM

I've been trying to dream up a mask to match my shaman hat, but its just not clicking.

I dont wear my shaman hat in public very often, anyway. I dont think people get the symbolism of it.

In the dark of the night

Under the canopy of trees

The vision of the Shaman

100_9841.JPG

• RainbowCatepillar likes this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,690 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:47 AM

We cannot get masks, which wasn't as concerning when the advice was to not wear them if you are not sick. Now that it is recommended to wear them if you must go out, (grocery's and pharmacy only), we have been making some out of fabric on hand. I'll get some pictures, but the batiks and hand dyed cottons look pretty Jerry Garcia.....................

• onediadem and Juthro like this

#4 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 12:03 PM

If masks are still in fashion in a month I'll be sporting ones with studs and spikes.

Spikes are a definite must.

If the movies have taught me anything, its that you can't have a proper apocalypse without metal spikes and leather/vinyl.

I would hate to be working in a craft store, imagine the mayhem.

• onediadem, Skywatcher, Moonless and 1 other like this

#5 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 515 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:35 PM

Seems to be the new fetish worldwide.
I call it Mask Hysteria.
I 3D printed a set for myself and my wife.
Interesting what you will find out that you didn't know before or even dared to think about.
My face is 8% larger in size than that of my wife, for example.
The benefit with these masks is you can use a piece of cloth or a filter from your vacuum cleaner (unused) or you simply cut a mask into square pieces to multiply its use.
I didn't design it, therefore the reference below.
Imagine the Darth Vader Mask, the Spikes Mask, the SM Mask .... so many design challenges are awaiting us.

Credit goes to: 
SPENCER ZAUGG
Family & Implant Dentistry

Attached Thumbnails

• mask.JPG

• Skywatcher and Auxin like this

#6 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 01:55 PM

Pretty cool and all, but if you don't serilize them every time before you wear the mask it increases your odds to get infected. We all know about how contaminants are all over. As soon as you take off a mask and put it on a table for example (Corona is able to survive on surfaces for at least 17 days under some circumstances) it is potentially contaminated. If there is some virus in your mask then and you wear it, you actually force yourself to breathe it in. Could be worse than not wearing one of you don't know sterile procedure for wearing a mask.

As well, normal surgical masks (without a filter) are not very functional for this purpose. If they are not sealed on your face, it isn't working. Surgical masks are used in the operation theatre to help spread bacteria and viruses from the surgeon to the patient, not the other way around.

If you just want to wear a mask for fashion, have fun. I don't find a sweaty, clammy face very fashionable. I used to have to wear the whole suit, mask, glasses when cleaning in hospitals. I hate it.

Keep distance, stay at home - that is the fashion.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 02 April 2020 - 01:57 PM.

• onediadem, Skywatcher, Auxin and 1 other like this

#7 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 93 posts

Posted 02 April 2020 - 04:12 PM

Thats why I'm using these N95's that make a full seal around the sides. I actually have to knot the lower band so the bottom is fully snug.

(For the record I bought these long before corona, so its not like I'm depriving medical supply lines. I know thats a concern for some.)

You're correct that they are contaminated after use. In practical real world scenarios covid stays live on porous surfaces for a day, and on non-porous non-reactive surfaces like glass for several days.

After I wear a mask I drop it in a coffee can that has the inside sprayed with alcohol and I seal the can and put it someplace warm. The next day I take it out and put it on top of a plant light where it stays quite warm all day. That is why I started by making two, so I dont have to wear a boring white one if I need to go out while the previous one is still in that process.

If this were like airborne ebola I would be pressure cooking them in an oven bag.

• RutgerHauer and Alpoehi like this

#8 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 08:54 PM

I am sure most of us have post office priority envelopes that you can cut up and stick inside a folded piece of fabric if worse comes to worse.

• Skywatcher and Alpoehi like this

#9 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 April 2020 - 10:13 PM

Surgical masks are used in the operation theatre to help spread bacteria and viruses from the surgeon to the patient, not the other way around.

I think you got that part mixed up  :)

Damn.  I was all set for SXSW this year & it was fucking cancelled for this CV madness.

Had the DOPEST hotel room - fucking straight glass walls and everything - in a corner room so I could see the lake and downtown from different walls ... dammit. 

I was stoked AF. 

I'd conned this corporate fella into the whole shebang - a once inna lifetime sort of thing.  All fucked to hell for the goddamn coronavirus.  FUCK!  Getting that asshole to book (and - more importantly - PAY for) this trip may have been the single greatest sale of my GODDAMN LIFE!

Now I'm never gonna see Austin  :(  I could never afford the trip, airfare, sweet glass-walled room, SXSW super-pass ... dammit.

All I wanted to do was travel to Austin TX, eat a bunch of mushrooms, hamstring a few dozen social media influencers with a disposable box knife, then relax in my glass walled room and drink chilled vodka.  I mean ... was that so wrong? 

I guess we'll never know.  The tickets are non-refundable.  SXSW will honor 'em for a few years apparently, but without some asshole paying for airfare and hotel, it doesn't really matter, and the stuffed suit who signed off on the TPS reports is mouldering under a pile of dessicated transexuals in the basement. 

I mean ... he told me I'd regret this ... they all say that ... but for once ... he was correct.

Dammit.  I really screwed the pooch on this one.  Alas. 

I'd like a facemask with frolicking puppies on it.

:)

soliver

• onediadem, Skywatcher, Oneyedraven and 2 others like this

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 April 2020 - 02:03 AM

Surgical masks are used in the operation theatre to help spread bacteria and viruses from the surgeon to the patient, not the other way around.

I think you got that part mixed up  :)

Yes of course it isn't to help it spread, it is to help stopping the spread - protect the patient from outside influences while for example their body is opened up in some way. My mistake, but I think you know what I mean.

Edited by RutgerHauer, 03 April 2020 - 02:16 AM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#11 ItBeBasidia

ItBeBasidia

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:04 PM

Test your might8fb4218b95069e1226fcc0edbb83934f.jpg
  • onediadem, Soliver and Asura like this

#12 Soliver

Soliver

Deviant

• OG VIP
  • 3,365 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2020 - 10:31 PM

In all fairness, that picture was taken before I started working out.

Blue mattress pad armor was all the rage at the time, and I had some serious tendonitis in both wrists.

The facemask speaks for itself.

I really hate it when you fuckers stalk my old MySpace page and find this shit- I really thought I'd deleted it all. 

Alas.  The interwebs!

:)

soliver

• onediadem, Alder Logs, Moonless and 1 other like this

#13 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 April 2020 - 11:18 PM

Hey, at least the padding protected the goods. Wise man. Personally, I would have went with purple, but whatever.

#14 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:03 PM

90345289_10219772363612135_2626526450311

• Soliver, Skywatcher, Juthro and 1 other like this

#15 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2020 - 08:19 PM

Since I now wear a mask when I go out like everyone is supposed to I've noticed that people are being a lot better about staying at least 6 feet away from me.

post-102948-0-68851700-1586308735.jpeg

Attached Thumbnails

• Mask.jpeg

• onediadem and Skywatcher like this

#16 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 April 2020 - 10:22 PM

92317269_1618072154997580_20750845482274

• Auxin and Juthro like this

#17 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 April 2020 - 07:16 PM

91995456_10219337655704326_8266203588137

• Auxin likes this

#18 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 01:33 AM

94902779_3232073523523857_13400787761590

• Soliver, ElrikEriksson and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#19 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 515 posts

Posted 08 April 2021 - 01:13 PM

It's gone commercial!
One of these rap guys has issued a smart mask.
I may m ask: Transhumanism through mask?

https://xupermask.com/

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!