• TVCasualty and ElPirana like this

#182 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2021 - 05:14 PM

Yikes.

He took the risky approach and put the kid back up on the platform instead of grabbing the kid and carrying him or her out of the way (to the right). Granted, he didn't have much time to decide and it all worked out in the end, fortunately.

And is it just me or is that the widest set of train tracks you've ever seen?

And in other news, these exist:

plushies-co-80cm-white-chonky-peepee-plu

Impressive ergonomics that promote more restful sleep:

plushies-co-funny-penis-plush-11-2108004

Some of the claims:

• Adorable little eyes
  • EXTREMELY girthy
  • Very cuddly
  • Cuter than a real one

https://squishplushi.../peepee-plushie

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#183 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2021 - 07:48 PM

I can't see under my pillow, or into my shoes before I put them on, lol. :ph34r:

He or she is free to hang in the crawl space where there will always be plenty of bugs to catch, unlike inside the house. I already have a few house spiders in corners watching over the interior and don't ever see any bugs big enough to feed my new recurring guest with the exception of a couple of scorpions that also walked out on the wall of my bedroom into my peripheral vision and stopped there for me to collect and take outside. I had to extend them the same courtesy as the spiders since they're in the same taxonomic Class, which I thought was really pushing it as far as the deal went but they had a better lawyer and the Judge is pretty staunchly pro-life.

If there's a fifth visit then it'll be time to name him (I'm just going to assume it's male) and I'll try to begin training him to follow basic commands, ideally without having to use a leash.

Well I'll be damned.

He came back for a fifth visit yesterday morning. Took 12 days this time. I'm going to go ahead and call him a "he" since I assume he's male due to his being real stubborn but not real bright. I took him waaaaay down my driveway last time. I decided to name him Clancy, after Duncan Trussell's character in The Midnight Gospel.

This time Clancy was in my kitchen on the wall above where I keep my coffee. Well good morning to you, sir! Out of habit I went ahead and made some coffee anyway. There has to be some kind of instinct algorithm that the mind uses to meter out how much adrenaline we get shot up with where the dosage is directly proportional to how close our hand is to the giant spider (or snake) when we first notice it.

I've still got Clancy in a jar, and tomorrow I'm going to drive him to a neighboring state before releasing him back into the wild. While it's adorable that he can't quit me and all that, I really don't want a giant spider for a roommate. I'll give him some cash before I turn him loose to help him get back on his feet in an unfamiliar place but I'll be sure not to give him enough to buy a bus ticket back to my place, just in case.

This has been genuinely bizarre and inexplicable.

But wait there's more.

I went looking for where I'd mentioned Midnight Gospel since I thought I'd mentioned it around here before and I found this post from almost exactly a year ago.

Guess what I plucked off my wall a couple of days ago, right in the same spot almost exactly (to the day!) one year later? Another freakin' wolf spider! But smaller than last year's (so far). So I'm guess it's junior. WTF is up with that??

I relocated it way down the hill again, and so far Clancy jr. has not returned.

#184 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2021 - 10:18 PM

Old thread hunting can be a sport all its own

#185 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2021 - 07:42 PM

Wild stuff

[Direct Link]

• ElPirana and shiftingshadows like this

#186 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2021 - 02:46 PM

Mycelium packaging, sound like a decent idea to me

[Direct Link]

• TVCasualty and ElPirana like this

#187 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 June 2021 - 01:35 PM

Looks like an important idea towards creating a simulation. A persons emotions and facial expressions represented digitally in real time is quite a step. Not so great for combating those deep fake videos however

[Direct Link]

• TVCasualty likes this

#188 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 June 2021 - 09:53 AM

I love the deep-fake tech that's coming out.

It's Chaos Theory's answer to ubiquitous and invasive surveillance.

If we can't have any privacy then our only practical option is to deny those who would take it away the ability to discern what's real from what isn't.

#189 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2021 - 04:36 PM

I thought this was a great conversation. There is something calming about these two. A couple of smart well thought out dudes discussing a wide range of big questions. Good for my peanut brain

[Direct Link]

I love the deep-fake tech that's coming out.

It's Chaos Theory's answer to ubiquitous and invasive surveillance.

If we can't have any privacy then our only practical option is to deny those who would take it away the ability to discern what's real from what isn't.

Could be a great tool to use it to catch pedo's

Apparently they have been using CGI to trick those perverts into thinking they are talking to a real kid for a while now. This would be a big step

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 08 June 2021 - 04:39 PM.

#190 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2021 - 09:58 AM

Apparently they have been using CGI to trick those perverts into thinking they are talking to a real kid for a while now. This would be a big step

If it's not being done already then someone is eventually going to put up dozens of deepfake profiles on dating sites as a way to siphon cash and gifts from the lonely and gullible in a way that will be real hard to stop or prosecute until the legal system catches up with 2020's-level technology (so not until around the year 2100, basically).

So we now live in a world where the online equivalent of noodlin' (for deepfake catfish) is a real thing we can do.

I wouldn't have thought it needing saying, but I guess a lot of people have to be reminded not to send money and gifts to "people" they have never actually met in person. To me that's like having to tell an ostensible adult something like "don't stick your hand into that fire!" 

#191 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

Yeah there seems to be enough fake profiles on those dating websites. Now those hackers would have the ability to fabricate a quick  live chat proving their fake identity as real.

Hilarious when you live hundreds of kilometers away from a city center. In a village under 1000 people and you still manage to see all these incredibly hot women just a few KM away on those bogus dating websites.

Reminds me of this odd version I witnessed on Chaturbate. Not to knock what people get off on that is their business not mine. But they have an anime girl voiced by a real person, and people pay tips to watch an animated character do sexual activities.

This could be the next level of when two dudes were pretending to be lesbians in a chat room. Sending dirty sentences to each other until then realized they were both horny single men.

Chaturbate btw is site I heard about in a passing fancy, certainly have never visited it in my lifetime or used it in any fashion :ph34r:

Edited by FLASHINGROOSTER, 09 June 2021 - 04:21 PM.

#192 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 849 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2021 - 07:59 PM

I thought this was a great conversation. There is something calming about these two. A couple of smart well thought out dudes discussing a wide range of big questions. Good for my peanut brain

[Direct Link]

I liked that video.  I can't argue with Sam Harris' points on lack of free will.  I came to essentially the same conclusions over the past few years.  And he is right...it does lead a person to stop placing judgements on others and on yourself.  When you finally come to realize that you aren't to blame, you can truly forgive yourself.  And this makes it just as easy to forgive others.  It solves so many problems, to be able to interact with other people without judgement, without resentment or hatred.  It also leads to the other side of the coin, no need for praise.  It's all quite liberating.

I've tried talking to other people about this and frankly I don't think most people want to hear it.  People don't want to lose the idea that they are in control of their lives or that other people are in control of theirs.  It's built into people's world views, their beliefs (think Christianity) are dependent on free will (at least for many of them.)  I guess someone has to be ready for a change in their outlook on their own life and its implications in order to even be willing to really be honest with themselves about the topic.

#193 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,548 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2021 - 07:03 PM

These concepts are slowing germinating in my mind. Free will has been on my mind for a while. Once you learn how much control the subconscious has over you it leads one to wonder who is in charge of this body. I agree not something people really want to hear, the implications can be a bit overwhelming. Especially for an ego that feels "in control" of their life

Like you said the part about being able to forgive ourselves over things long past is important. The idea that we are not those bad memories; I head someone once say it like this.  At some point you realize it is on you to decide when you set that baggage down. I would think most people beat themselves up more than they do others, so it does have potential to help a wide range of folk

It took a few years for that observer business that Alder was always talking about to sink into my head. I think only recently have I really grasped the concept. 

I think everyone has fleeting moments of it without realizing what it is. Like that summer evening when your out for a drive. A guy rolls the windows down and all your senses get activated. The smell in the air the touch of its breeze and the beauty in the landscape before you. Living truly in that moment, even if for only a second or two is pure bliss. You feel that wave of happiness melt over you as the air fills your lungs.

Leading one to think, life sure is special

• ElPirana likes this

#194 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,272 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 June 2021 - 11:36 AM

I've tried talking to other people about this and frankly I don't think most people want to hear it.

Tell them that believing in free will is something they were programmed to think. :blink:

When it comes to the issue of determinism vs. free will, I wonder if how it actually works is similar to the relationship of climate and weather? That is, maybe it's not one or the other so much as the former dictates the boundary conditions within which the latter manifests?

So weather is "free" to do anything it's capable of and wants to (so to speak), but only within the boundaries determined by the region's climate.

Likewise, we can "choose our own adventure"  just like in the Choose Your Own Adventure book series, which is to say only within the confines of the physiological, cultural, political, economic, environmental, (etc.) "climate" that we exist within. That old book series might be a great metaphor for the reality we inhabit, now that I think about it. You are free to make some choices, but are not free to determine what choices you are presented with.

Anyway, determining where exactly the line between determinism and free will lies is probably not possible to definitively determine (how would we recognize it?). But even a very small-scale manifestation of free will can be sufficient to affect huge changes under the right conditions, possibly even significant enough to change the climate (the Butterfly Effect wins again!). So massive cultural inertia is extremely difficult to shift into a new direction, but it's possible. I guess. Apparently. Maybe. Fuck, I don't know; maybe I was programmed to think and write these things? How could I tell?  :tinfoil:

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!