181 replies to this topic

#21 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2020 - 02:30 PM

This kritter club has some pretty hart warming video's about animal care.

They always have a happy ending so stick with it

[Direct Link]

They fix this disabled street cat up. Use the closed caption button for English subs

[Direct Link]

Edited by flashingrooster, 17 April 2020 - 02:44 PM.

• ElPirana likes this

#22 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 03:00 PM

I think the small has become some of my favourite nature videos to watch lately. The camera technology has really opened up what they can do in so many ways. Also watched a really cool program following the life cycle of a bee in a colony. They dramatize it to make it a little fun as well

It's on the CBC website (Our national news network) and you will need to switch your VPN to Beaver for that one folks

[Direct Link]

https://www.cbc.ca/n...es/a-bees-diary

[Direct Link]

That mouse is bad ass

Edited by flashingrooster, 20 April 2020 - 03:13 PM.

• Moonless likes this

#23 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:56 PM

Suck it yule log channel

[Direct Link]

#24 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 810 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:57 PM

I think the small has become some of my favourite nature videos to watch lately. The camera technology has really opened up what they can do in so many ways. Also watched a really cool program following the life cycle of a bee in a colony. They dramatize it to make it a little fun as well

It's on the CBC website (Our national news network) and you will need to switch your VPN to Beaver for that one folks

[Direct Link]

https://www.cbc.ca/n...es/a-bees-diary

[Direct Link]

That mouse is bad ass

You KNOW that mouse knows he’s bad ass after fighting the scorpion!

Thanks for sharing all these videos, I’m really digging them!

Edited by ElPirana, 21 April 2020 - 02:01 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#25 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:45 PM

Pretty excited to try to make some kombucha.

I mean If a person can grow mushrooms this should be simple enough eh?

[Direct Link]

Got my scobie started this morning from a store bought bottle, hope it works!

• Juthro and Moonless like this

#26 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 April 2020 - 11:07 AM

This one time I was on an airplane and saw those horizontal cloud lighting strikes. We were pretty far away but it was cool. I had never been above lighting before

[Direct Link]

So wind can blow lightning, crazy

Edited by flashingrooster, 23 April 2020 - 11:10 AM.

• TVCasualty, Alder Logs and Wimzers like this

#27 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 09:06 AM

Here is the video of them recording how silently an owl can fly

[Direct Link]

• TVCasualty, Alder Logs, Juthro and 2 others like this

#28 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,167 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 11:38 AM

That's cool. Owls are amazing.

This is worth a repeat (watch in HD on full-screen):

[Direct Link]

(I posted it here a few years ago and IMO it's one of the best videos ever. I wish I had that kind of focus...)

On a related note, this is the best video of a land animal doing it's thing that I've yet found:

[Direct Link]

It appears that intense focus is kind of important. So is conservation.

Edited by TVCasualty, 30 April 2020 - 11:45 AM.

• Wimzers, ElPirana and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:02 PM

Here is the video of them recording how silently an owl can fly

Here I find it amazing how much sound comes off the wings of the ravens.  I hear every beat of their wings when they are flying by over a hundred feet above me.  I guess it's no issue when you are sneaking up on dead things.  They always follow the mowers, looking for snakes and voles that didn't get out of the way in time.

#30 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 02:12 PM

On a related note, this is the best video of a land animal doing it's thing that I've yet found:

Aren't the cheetahs prospering?

I was most blown away, after all the slowmo, seeing it in real time after the six minute mark!  My Got, that thing is fast!

Edited by Alder Logs, 30 April 2020 - 02:12 PM.

#31 darci

darci

snarky butt monkey

• OG VIP
  • 1,317 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 12:50 AM

Beautiful.

Nature's majesty is awe-inspiring.

We should never forget the awesome power that the universe could bear down upon us.

The city of Pompeii is of course an historic example.

I find that the study of the reality of the world, history, geology, paleontology, nature, mathematics, physics, astronomy, cosmology... these disciplines are all related and relevant and intertwined... understanding these things gives you a perspective on our endeavors as the human race here on planet earth are all just a child's exercise and attempts at achieving power and godhood, yet we are all still children fumbling with the toys given to us, misusing them, sticking them in our mouths, like babies who don't know the world they really live in.  This is the history of the human race, and the hubris and arrogance of our species comes to bite us in the ass so many times, teaching us as a child who touches a hot stove - the ideas and ideologies, and ignorances that plague our poor, pitiful attempts at greatness....

There is a righteous pursuit which has something to do with beauty, honest, truth, creativity.... but we are all juveniles among it all as we spread our wings and attempt to leave the nest....

Humanity as a whole is like an awkward, almost featherless bird probing its surroundings, eventually to take a leap of faith and learn to fly.

I don't know if it will be in 100 years or 100 million years, but assuming our mistakes aren't suicidal, one day we will expand and evolve beyond out silly trivialities of this day and this time.... and join the expeditions toward the stars to find new friends and new mysteries to explore.  There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the library of what there is to discover in this universe is far greater that what the most inspired among us can even imagine.

- Darci.

#32 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,167 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:06 AM

Aren't the cheetahs prospering?

I was most blown away, after all the slowmo, seeing it in real time after the six minute mark!  My Got, that thing is fast!

Their numbers aren't terrible, but the primary threat to them is habitat loss. They need a lot of habitat, 90% of which has been lost over the past 100 years.

#33 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,167 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 10:48 AM

Beautiful.

Nature's majesty is awe-inspiring.

We should never forget the awesome power that the universe could bear down upon us.

The city of Pompeii is of course an historic example.

I find that the study of the reality of the world, history, geology, paleontology, nature, mathematics, physics, astronomy, cosmology... these disciplines are all related and relevant and intertwined... understanding these things gives you a perspective on our endeavors as the human race here on planet earth are all just a child's exercise and attempts at achieving power and godhood, yet we are all still children fumbling with the toys given to us, misusing them, sticking them in our mouths, like babies who don't know the world they really live in.  This is the history of the human race, and the hubris and arrogance of our species comes to bite us in the ass so many times, teaching us as a child who touches a hot stove - the ideas and ideologies, and ignorances that plague our poor, pitiful attempts at greatness....

There is a righteous pursuit which has something to do with beauty, honest, truth, creativity.... but we are all juveniles among it all as we spread our wings and attempt to leave the nest....

Humanity as a whole is like an awkward, almost featherless bird probing its surroundings, eventually to take a leap of faith and learn to fly.

I don't know if it will be in 100 years or 100 million years, but assuming our mistakes aren't suicidal, one day we will expand and evolve beyond out silly trivialities of this day and this time.... and join the expeditions toward the stars to find new friends and new mysteries to explore.  There is no doubt in my mind whatsoever that the library of what there is to discover in this universe is far greater that what the most inspired among us can even imagine.

- Darci.

Have you explored any of Graham Hancock's work? The implications are beyond staggering, and the data and evidence for most of what he claims is strong and getting stronger.

I used to think that it was patently absurd that this "is" the year 2020 and that it should be more like the year 12,520 (or maybe 13,020). But then after watching Hancock detailing his findings and recent discoveries it now looks like this should be the year 40,020 (at least!) and possibly even 100,020 (if we put zero closer to the likely true dawn of civilization). One comet and a measly ~12,000 years was enough for us to forget that we've already had to reboot civilization from scratch at least once. Granted, it was a big fucking comet and hit what was probably the worst place possible for one to hit at the time.

It also reinforces (in my mind) my hypothesis that racism is a leftover instinctive behavior (so a product of Evolution) that evolved in a context when we lived among at least 4 other hominid species. Back then, those "others" really were Other, which changes the dynamics considerably. Being the last hominid species left means it's become an obsolete adaptation, but since the Others only went extinct yesterday it's still a strong instinct and lacking any genuine Others to focus it on we focus it on members of our own species instead. It might also explain the genetic memory-shadow we call "Bigfoot" that lurks in our imaginations (or audio equipment, depending).

It's pretty wild to imagine what life would be like in a world filled with frontiers of the unknown and several different species of hominids that were arguably evolved enough to refer to as "human" (just not the H. sapiens variety). That said, I also get the impression that we were there then just like we're here now. "Remembering" is about knowing where to look.

#34 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:23 AM

Or if one considers Immanuel Velikovsky, this might be day 39 of year 2707, or it could also be around year 5520, or one of several world catastrophes that have come since that twelve to thirteen thousand year mark.   I wonder if the Hopi have kept the Forth World count? 

#35 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,167 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

I've been getting the distinct impression as I continue to explore that Hancock is correcting Velikovsky's work. Velikovsky was definitely on to something, actually lots of things, and like many of the first explorers of something new he was on the right track but maybe didn't quite arrive at all the right conclusions.

There's been a lot of new physical evidence uncovered since Velikovsky wrote his books, so it's starting to look to me like Hancock is filling in the blanks that allow a recalibration of our understanding of human history that gives us an unbroken, cohesive narrative that cannot be attacked and discredited by the keepers of the mainstream view of history as easily as Velikovsky was.

Oops, just realized how far off-topic this is straying. I'll shut up now.

#36 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:20 PM

That's cool. Owls are amazing.

This is worth a repeat (watch in HD on full-screen):

[Direct Link]

(I posted it here a few years ago and IMO it's one of the best videos ever. I wish I had that kind of focus...)

[Direct Link]

The stuff they can film now is mind blowing. After viewing that behind the scene portion it made me go. Oh yeah, wow they would need a crazy setup to be able to get that kind of a shot. I think I enjoy watching how they film almost as much as the subject matter on these nature documentaries

I can't seem to get enough of em, the HD stuff that takes years to film like planet earth. It's truly surreal to watch some of it. They seem to ground me, it strengthens your connection to the natural way of things I suppose.

For some reason I find our insignificance in the grand scheme of things comforting. Maybe because it fly's in the face of man's hubris and desire for more. Or perhaps it's comforting when on does not actually achieve the sort of greatness we get pumped into our heads from our materialistic lifestyles.  I like to think that it everything ends up the same, in the past and forgotten

Edited by flashingrooster, 01 May 2020 - 03:56 PM.

#37 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 03:56 PM

Oh and forgot to mention how mind blowing those videos can be when your tripping. I think that planet earth two came out on an acid trip..  (I can't resist, this conversation got me clicking my browser back and forth watching the jungle episode with the bio luminescent fungi :ph34r:)

You guys reminded me of a video I watched years ago about aphids. I wish I could find it, for some reason I suspect it could even be from a planet earth. I forget now

Anyway

They showed how the aphids would use plant vegetation to talk to one another via vibrations. So this predator bug show's up and starts eating the defenceless aphids. They start sending out vibrations to alert the ant's in the area that there is a threat. The ant's react territoriality and take out the predator bug

There was another documentary about plant life and its inter connectivity. They stripped one tree off all it's leaves in an experiment to see how the other connected tree's would react. Turns out the other tree's stopped their growth and focused their energy through the root systems to regrow the damaged one.

I was like, that shit on Avatar is real!

Edited by flashingrooster, 01 May 2020 - 03:58 PM.

• TVCasualty, darci and Wimzers like this

#38 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 04:49 PM

Here is an article describing the use of vibration audio with these little bugs, and their symbiotic relationship with ants

https://ecomingafoun...nds-of-insects/

These little suckers are what I was talking about. Treehoppers!

58772-004-87995fb1.jpg

There is a video if you scroll down in the npr link, there are some sounds you have never heard before

https://www.npr.org/...ion?jwsource=cl

Not exactly what I was talking about but it's the closest video I could find of their audio.

Edited by flashingrooster, 01 May 2020 - 05:50 PM.

#39 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,167 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:09 PM

I've been having a really weird recurring spider issue in my bedroom. I hope it's over, but I can't be sure. It's a big spider, but at least it's only one.

Last week I saw a wolf spider that was about 2.5 inches across (or ~6 cm if one is only familiar with metric spiders) from toe to toe (or leg tip to tip since I guess they don't have toes) walk into my peripheral vision on a wall of my bedroom while I was watching a movie. It stopped in the middle of the wall like they all do according to our deal. The deal is that if a spider shows itself and lets me catch it I'll take it outside and not kill it. It seems to work to an uncanny degree, and just required the envisioning of that intention.

Anyway, I got him and tossed him out my back door into the yard.

Two days later what looked like the same spider appeared at about the same time in the exact same spot on the same wall. It stopped where it had before, I got him again and this time went out my front door and walked about 50 feet across the yard before tossing him (or her) in some bushes. That was odd.

Guess what happened again two days later? By now I'm certain it's the same spider and it's starting to weird me out a little; same spider, same time, same behavior at same spot on same wall. I catch him a third time and toss him down my driveway by the property line (which is down a moderate hill about 150 feet away from the house).

Well I'll be damned if it didn't show up a fourth time, same as the first three. How. The. Fuck?? It took 4 days to make it back into my bedroom this time (which was the most recent relocation effort that took place two days ago). If the time/distance pattern holds I should be seeing him (or her!) on my wall again next Monday night. I can't even find where such a big spider is getting in.

I've also seen (awhile back) a little spider I've never seen before or since trying to hunt MUCH larger spiders in my yard by stalking them on their own webs. The first spider being stalked detected it (which wasn't easy since every time the hunted spider moved, the stalker stopped climbing towards it) and I watched it pluck its web like a guitar string which flung the little predator-spider right off. It landed near the base of another web (of a different species than the first, and home to a spider that was about 100 times the size of the stalker-spider) and started to stalk that spider but got flung off in the same way. I've never read about such behavior in spiders (hunting them on their own webs) or found the predator spider species I saw in an insect guide yet, and it was really striking in appearance (small, pretty slim profile and had vivid red leg segments but was mostly a translucent greenish color, among other notable features).

• ElPirana and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#40 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,352 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:00 PM

Every once in a while we would get these population explosions of these big fat spiders

(Searching)

Turns out they are called Jewel spiders

ZK1KZK1K5KBKGKCKNQJ09QTKQKT06QWKHK9KGKBKHKAKUQRS7KY0XKTK4KDK1QRSUQLSUQLSWQ10.jpg

One night I was smoking a joint out side the front door and noticed one particularly busy spider weaving it's web. It was right beside the outside light so I could see it really well. It was neat to be able to see such a large spider at work. You could make out its small technical movements, like pulling the strands out of its abdomen with its back legs or spinners.  Moving circles around the perimeter and doing the odd repel down the spider line was a treat.

It always stuck with me it was so vivid in detail. Great stoner nature moment right there, otherwise I probably would not have taken the time to stand there and observe

• TVCasualty and ElPirana like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!