173 replies to this topic

#41 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:48 PM

Teev, tell the spider when it's back again, that it can be anywhere that you can't see it.  Then it's sight won't be bothering you.  I have found that wolf spiders are very willing to go along with you.  You could even offer it to stay in some alternate territory that you would be comfortable with.  That would be sporting and the spider probably wouldn't mind that sort of deal, as they do like to be indoors.  If you find the communications works, a greater relationship with the critter will ensue, and the value of that, you might really enjoy and appreciate. 

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#42 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:46 PM

I can't see under my pillow, or into my shoes before I put them on, lol. :ph34r:

He or she is free to hang in the crawl space where there will always be plenty of bugs to catch, unlike inside the house. I already have a few house spiders in corners watching over the interior and don't ever see any bugs big enough to feed my new recurring guest with the exception of a couple of scorpions that also walked out on the wall of my bedroom into my peripheral vision and stopped there for me to collect and take outside. I had to extend them the same courtesy as the spiders since they're in the same taxonomic Class, which I thought was really pushing it as far as the deal went but they had a better lawyer and the Judge is pretty staunchly pro-life.

If there's a fifth visit then it'll be time to name him (I'm just going to assume it's male) and I'll try to begin training him to follow basic commands, ideally without having to use a leash.

#43 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:59 PM

I can't see under my pillow, or into my shoes before I put them on, lol.

Your imagination is a scary place.

"He" might not go for that "roll over" shit.  Don't be dissin' him, now! 

I have the biggest (by far) wolf spider living between the screen door and the hard door of my old parked Toyota-Dolphin motorhome that I use as a guest house.   It's been there for over two years.  When seeing that guy, one is moved to salute.  The thought of having him on a leash would worry me, as I might get dragged into his clutches.

Edited by Alder Logs, 02 May 2020 - 03:07 PM.

• TVCasualty and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#44 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:12 PM

My imagination is definitely not for the even kinda-squeamish. Too bad I'm kinda squeamish about some stuff. Like spiders in shoes or between sheets or in folded towels, which anyone who's ever lived somewhere that was overrun with brown recluse spiders can relate to.

Your guest sounds like the big mo'fo that hitched a ride into my house a while back on the overnight bag a friend brought in from where I used to live in TN. I thought it was a fake spider at first since it was just sitting there (or standing; not sure they ever actually "sit") on one of the straps but when I got too close it moved. Fast. When I still lived there I had a big wolf spider yank a piece of wheat straw out of my fingers when I was messing with one that kept raising its front legs up at me; I put the straw right in front of it (not touching) and it struck at it, leaving me with my mouth hanging open in shock and the spider holding the straw. Another one squeaked at me once.

I didn't know they could squeak. :eek:

The one on my friend's duffel bag was impressive enough to take a photo of once I finally caught him or her:

post-102948-0-69371800-1588453128.jpg

The broken leg was from my capture attempt. When I said "fast" I meant fast.

Attached Thumbnails

• bigspider1b.jpg

#45 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 728 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:28 PM

F That. Holy hell Thts a big BR. The ones I’ve seen around my parts (geographically, not body parts) are no where tht large.

When I was living at home many years ago, a big ole fatty (unknown species) would web out on the porch light and I would feed it on my way into the house after coming home with a body full of boozes. Thing got huge, was way before iPhones wish I got a pic.

#46 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:19 PM

Where in the fuck did you find that miniature quarter?

#47 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,212 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:32 PM

Just be glad that spider doesn't have a tobacco habit.....

post-136504-0-99182300-1588473138.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20160425_130941.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 02 May 2020 - 09:34 PM.

#48 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

F That. Holy hell Thts a big BR. The ones I’ve seen around my parts (geographically, not body parts) are no where tht large.

When I was living at home many years ago, a big ole fatty (unknown species) would web out on the porch light and I would feed it on my way into the house after coming home with a body full of boozes. Thing got huge, was way before iPhones wish I got a pic.

That wasn't a brown recluse in my photo, if that's what BR referred to.

You're right about brown recluses not getting anywhere near that big, though I'm not sure if that's good or bad since big spiders are easier to spot and can't hide in as many places but on the other hand a recluse as big as a wolf spider or huntsman would probably deliver a lot more venom if it bit you.

One good tip I got from a friend who grew up where recluses are everywhere was to never bring cardboard boxes into your house if they'd spent much time in a storage unit, garage, basement, or anywhere recluses are likely to lurk. They love to back themselves into the corrugations in the cardboard where they hide for a couple of weeks between meals. My friend always burned any cardboard boxes after a move, or after retrieving stuff from storage. Recycling would be fine, too. Just don't keep them in your house.

#49 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:04 AM

One time a spider did a frigging repel down from the ceiling right into my popcorn bowl. I was laying on my back and had the bowl on my chest close to my face. That bowl went flying across the room when I leapt up off the couch. It was like in the movies where the elephant is scared of the tiny little mouse

I like to think about that fear response that we get from those little suckers. It has to be encoded in our DNA somehow? There are a few spider species that can be harmful to humans, so it makes sense in terms of evolutionary purpose

I am trying to remember when one was first scared of spiders. I want so say from an early age but I really can't remember, somebody with kids could probably help me fill that gap in. Or was it just that damn arachnophobia movie... our memories our a tricky thing indeed. When it comes to fear our memories seem to be weaker at separating fact from fiction. Think how many people have a wicked fear of open water and sharks from watching Jaw's.

I suppose that is a good example of the effects movies can have on our minds

#50 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 11:42 AM

My greatest fear when I was a kid was spiders, black widows, to be specific.  I remember a nightmare where I was playing with all the kids from the block and they all got eaten by a giant black widow and the dream ended with it chasing me home when I woke up and ran terrified into my parents' bedroom. 

When I was in my early twenties, I and my old lady were living in a little cabin in a summer camp where I was the winter caretaker.  That cabin was full of wolf spiders, and this is where we made the deal that was the model for my post to TVC (and this idea was not mine, but came from my ex who was much more into such woo than I was).  We offered the spiders to move into our electrified outhouse, which was a flush toilet that went into a cesspool and was just outside the back door of the cabin.  It was painted inside and had a light switch.  We allowed the spiders that space, where we could see them clearly.  They took the deal and we communed with them while sitting on the pot.  We stopped seeing them hiking around inside the cabin. 

I have related this next part here somewhere before.  Sometime later we moved to where I live now, and I got a job at a cedar shingle mill where I ran a large log carrying machine and a really big cutoff saw, hydraulically operated.  My job was to bring the logs to a channel that skidded them into the mill, where I would mark them at sixteen inches and skid them in and chop them at my marks.   Then I would split them with a hydraulic splitter and send them down a chain deck to the next guy in the process.

Doing this had lots of hazards, both to my body and the machinery.  A rock, stuck in the log, or a kink in the cable that pulled the skid down the channel that pushed the logs, could create lots of problems for the operator (me).   Oft times, I would be just ready to start a cut and a spider would be on my marked line, and if I would check, sure enough, there would be a rock ready to dull my saw chain on it's seven or eight foot bar, or there would be a kink in the cable about to go off its pulley and create a shut down of the shift.  At first, this blew my mind, and sure enough, if I tested the spiders' advice, I would hit a rock or the cable would come off the pulley.  I learned to trust the guidance of the spiders and this made my working life much easier (and kept me out of trouble on the job, as shutdowns were not a popular thing with the bosses or the workers).  

This went on for months, with many instances of my ass being saved by the spiders.   But then my doubting mind came back into the equation, and I tested them again.  They quit warning me then, after that display of my lack of faith, and that was a very painful lesson.  I still love the spiders, but I blew that deal.   So there was another teaching they gave me, so I'm even thankful for that.  I know I could have kept that magic in my life, had my ego brain not entered into it. 

So, when I suggested to TVC that a deal could be made with the spiders, I was absolutely serious.  Now, I know that no one is going to be able to vet this story of mine, and now it's just something else to read on the internet, but I can say it's my truth in experience.   Take it or leave it.

Edited by Alder Logs, 03 May 2020 - 01:07 PM.

#51 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:39 PM

I made my deal with them back before I signed up for this site, so I wasn't kidding about that. Sounds like I could've negotiated an even better deal than I did since mine don't inform me of things that are handy to know, they just show up for a free ride. Apparently I got out-negotiated by spider-consciousness. But then I've also been disarmed by a wolf spider, so I guess I tend to underestimate them.

#52 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

What it's like to go for a flight on the back of an eagle (for a human; they can see MUCH better than we can so the view probably looks a lot different to them):

[Direct Link]

This one is looking for his or her handler, and finds him:

[Direct Link]

And now it's time to play "Spot the snow leopard!"

It's tough to find, but it's there:

post-102948-0-33312200-1588881784.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• leopard.jpg

• Wimzers, ElPirana and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#53 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2020 - 10:08 AM

Wow that is about as close to the real thing as I will ever get. Makes a guy want to try hang gliding, it looks like a ton of fun to fly

And that cat hiding waiting to strike is on hell of a scary where's waldo

• TVCasualty likes this

#54 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 May 2020 - 11:22 AM

That was exactly what hang gliding looks like from the sky. It's absolutely worth going on at least one tandem flight in your life, which requires no training or experience. But don't eat mushrooms first, even a small dose. Trust me on that. :eek:

#55 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 12 May 2020 - 07:44 PM

I can't see under my pillow, or into my shoes before I put them on, lol. :ph34r:

He or she is free to hang in the crawl space where there will always be plenty of bugs to catch, unlike inside the house. I already have a few house spiders in corners watching over the interior and don't ever see any bugs big enough to feed my new recurring guest with the exception of a couple of scorpions that also walked out on the wall of my bedroom into my peripheral vision and stopped there for me to collect and take outside. I had to extend them the same courtesy as the spiders since they're in the same taxonomic Class, which I thought was really pushing it as far as the deal went but they had a better lawyer and the Judge is pretty staunchly pro-life.

If there's a fifth visit then it'll be time to name him (I'm just going to assume it's male) and I'll try to begin training him to follow basic commands, ideally without having to use a leash.

Well I'll be damned.

He came back for a fifth visit yesterday morning. Took 12 days this time. I'm going to go ahead and call him a "he" since I assume he's male due to his being real stubborn but not real bright. I took him waaaaay down my driveway last time. I decided to name him Clancy, after Duncan Trussell's character in The Midnight Gospel.

This time Clancy was in my kitchen on the wall above where I keep my coffee. Well good morning to you, sir! Out of habit I went ahead and made some coffee anyway. There has to be some kind of instinct algorithm that the mind uses to meter out how much adrenaline we get shot up with where the dosage is directly proportional to how close our hand is to the giant spider (or snake) when we first notice it.

I've still got Clancy in a jar, and tomorrow I'm going to drive him to a neighboring state before releasing him back into the wild. While it's adorable that he can't quit me and all that, I really don't want a giant spider for a roommate. I'll give him some cash before I turn him loose to help him get back on his feet in an unfamiliar place but I'll be sure not to give him enough to buy a bus ticket back to my place, just in case.

This has been genuinely bizarre and inexplicable.

Edited by TVCasualty, 12 May 2020 - 07:44 PM.

• Skywatcher, Alder Logs, Wimzers and 2 others like this

#56 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:36 PM

This could be the making of a new Disney movie, his adventures while finding his way back home.

#57 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,074 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:01 PM

This was an oddly-satisfying and interesting video. The world's most complicated horn (I'd guess):

[Direct Link]

Good thing that fog doesn't roll in instantly, lol.

#58 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 May 2020 - 02:52 PM

gallery_131808_1351_1705.jpg

Ah say, Ah say, you call that a foghorn, son?

• Oneyedraven and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#59 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,255 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

I love old machinery like that. Looks like a couple air compressors that fill up those two tanks outside. Then blast said compressed air out large wide cone via a strange clock valve system to make that sweet sound

• Juthro likes this

#60 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,024 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 06:18 PM

I can imagine that the foghorn is pretty much a production model, where on a steamship, one wouldn't have far to look for the required pressure to operate it.    Just thinking of one of the best bumper stickers I ever saw:  Honk If You Love Noise

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 15 May 2020 - 06:35 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!