• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 2Ape2

2Ape2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 16 April 2020 - 07:03 PM

Hi everyone.  I've been doing a lot of reading and researching and I'm close to being ready.   I'm pretty certain I'm going with a monotub and GT.  Basic but in my wheelhouse.  What I can't decide just yet is if I want to jump right in with making my own grain jars, go with making grain bags, or go easy and buy the grain bags just to get started.  I like the idea, have the confidence and equipment, to make my own jars or bags. Jars, no issue from the way I understand it.  Bags would be a little more of a challenge but not actually complicated.  However, that is me talking with only book/forum knowledge - not actual practice.  I'm here to learn.  My intent is to grow medicinally for myself.  I look forward to learning.

• Myc, RainbowCatepillar and PerseidTraveler like this

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 506 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2020 - 12:41 AM

Hello and welcome,

TBH i think home made brown rice jars are the best place to start. Home-made jars and bags is how most mycotopiates live. There is something really special about going through the process of making jars. If you follow your Tek well and make a SAB for inoculation I think you'll get at least a few successful jars your first time. Since you are beginner you might not have enough spawn for a monotub, consider a shoebox/dub tub or containers like how I grow. Even with a shoebox or small container grow you will have more than enough :) a monotub really makes lot but you'll be left with so much excess. If you consider doing a dub tub or smaller containers, you can use your montub as a fruiting chamber to place containers into, you also might want to try out two strains. GT is nice, perhaps one that sounds interesting or exotic to ya.

Best wishes 2Ape2 let us know how it goes

• RainbowCatepillar and PerseidTraveler like this

#3 2Ape2

2Ape2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 17 April 2020 - 09:42 AM

Hello and welcome,

TBH i think home made brown rice jars are the best place to start. Home-made jars and bags is how most mycotopiates live. 

Best wishes 2Ape2 let us know how it goes

Thank you.  I definitely like the idea of making my own to save expense but also to keep control of the product.  In my mind it would take some of the guesswork out as well, if that makes any sense.  I need to do some more research comparing brown rice and grain.  From a beginners standpoint it seems to be a pretty even spread for what growers prefer.  It seems the more advanced cultivators lean toward grain and I'm confident enough in my understanding to go grain if that is actually better.  But again, that is just based on reading and educated guesses.  Until I put it to use I really won't know.  :)

Good point on the size.  I've read up on the PF tek a few times and that really seems to be the most straightforward and small enough to manage more effectively. I'm not looking to harvest a bunch so going smaller would make sense.

Thanks again and I'll report back.

#4 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,048 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2020 - 04:43 PM

Welcome to 'Topia!

#5 2Ape2

2Ape2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 01:02 PM

Welcome to 'Topia!

Thanks roc.  Glad to be here.   So far I like the vibe.

#6 PerseidTraveler

PerseidTraveler

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 09:31 PM

Hey 2Ape2...glad to see a fellow novice on here getting learned up! I run agar>LC>rye/Millet and have had no problems with colonization in my gourmet grows, same with my current (and first) cube grow...I'm not saying you should definitely go that route, I'm simply saying I'm not a rocket scientist and it's been fairly straightforward for me...that being said, once things cool down and I bring things inside, I look very much forward to learning about BRF cakes and applying them to Pan grows.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 April 2020 - 02:00 AM

IMHO, one will learn considerably more, if one makes one's own grain jars, pf cakes, bags, or whatever.

A lot of people started with PF tek, myself included. I also know old head growers that have never grown a PF cake in their life (their loss).

Whichever avenue that you choose 2ape2, I suggest that you follow a proven tek, word for word, with no improvisations.

#8 2Ape2

2Ape2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 08:50 AM

Here is where I am as compared to that first post.  I still haven't put things to action but I've continued to read and research.  Straight up, my purpose of cultivating is to grow medicine for myself.  The hope is to find the right microdosing regime.  Point, I'm not looking to grow pounds and pounds.  I considered going simple, PF tek.  The more I read the more I could see PF Tek works great and an excellent way to tip your toes into the water.  I already possess many of the mechanical pieces needed for some of the more complex teks and I have experience working with agar, flow hoods, etc.  Not so much a regret but I wish I had waited to order spores until now.  I ordered two spore syringes several weeks ago with the intent of inoculating some grain jars.  Based on my research, that could work but results can be dodgy and agar is the way to go.  Spore prints over syringes, at least for me - if I had waited.

All that being said, I think I truly am ready to take the first step.  With two syringes I have way more than I need but that is ok, I will have extra to experiment and, if needed, as back up.  I will be going to an agar smear and picking out the best grow back to agar, then to grain.  Realizing that agar to agar could be 3-5 steps or more depending on contamination and health of the mycelium I will need to get some more plates (or similar).  It seriously isn't all that hard for those who are on the fence about it.  You have to be willing to be purposefully slow in the process.  Shortcuts and impatience will help you grow some sweet trich and bacterial colonies...  I've not ever cultivated Psilocybe and I can directly attest to this.  LOL  

Assuming I get one good, as in good genetics, fruiting body, I plan to make a spore print and clone it to agar.  Again, it isn't a difficult process.  I am estimating the need for somewhere around 2.1 dried gram of product a month over the course of the mircodosing regime.  I now realize that PF Tek could accomplish that so I'm glad I already had the more expensive things like a PC.  Factoring in my general inexperience with this species I am confident that I will meet the numbers even if it all goes south at times.... and if you've ever worked in micro-biology at any level you know *it will go south* at times.  

Once I've got a good isolate I'll be inoculating some rye grain and some wild bird seed.  Diversification leads to success... ask most investment bankers.  LOL  I don't think I'll need to start off going grain to grain at this stage but I am not opposed to it.  I'll be using a basic coir-verm-gypsum substrate tek and have decided no casing for now.  FAE and humidity is an area of concern for me but I'm at that stage where I'm overthinking that part of it.  I'll get there.  

I will check back in and hopefully with some pictures over the course of the next few months.  I'd say wish me luck, and will gladly accept it, but the more I read the more my tek evolves before I even begin.  :)  I have all but one or two small pieces that will make the process easier.  Once I have those in place (by end of week) I will be ready to shut up and start the process.  More to come...

Edited by 2Ape2, 19 May 2020 - 08:52 AM.

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,625 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:15 AM

It sounds like your motive is pure and you've done the research.  Nothing left to do but do it!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!