Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Topians, who has acess to legal or medical cannabis in their region?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:50 AM

Just wondering what percentage of Y'all have been lifted from the oppression of illegal cannabis?

Things changed here very quickly in the last four years. Medical cannabis was very difficult to get. You would have to have a condition like cancer or glaucoma to get access to it. Then it seemed like all of a sudden people were getting prescriptions for loss of sleep or appetite, back pain. The easily fake able conditions where anyone who put in the effort could get it.

A year or so after that the black market seemed to explode into mainstream. Police enforcement had backed off and honestly it might have been the most exciting time. There were countless websites that would ship you a wide array of products at lower prices we had never seen before. Picking it up at the post office was a hell of a lot better than having to meet your "guy".

Head shops were popping up around the larger cities and Vancouver even had vending machines in one location. About a year and half ago it was legalized. It took a another year to legalize all the high test edibles, concentrates, Keif's ect. The prices do remain higher than the black market but the quality has never been better, you definitely get what you pay for. The industry did suffer a setback due to higher prices. Plenty of folks stuck with the tried and true black market

Anyway, reading some post's on this forum got me thinking about legalization. How it was only a year and a half ago for us. And when I read others talk about legality of CBD it just feels odd to me now.  Especially CBD, the fact that that non psychoactive component is still a concern to law enforcement. It's weird how fast perspectives can change. Like how the hell is this stuff not legal everywhere in the world. Guess I should count myself lucky.

How about Y'all?

• Sidestreet, Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 511 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2020 - 06:14 PM

Hemp is technically legal in my state, Texas. In 2015 the federal government legalized hemp but my state passed its own hemp law in 2018. Last I checked the department of agriculture hasn't handed out any state license to grow hemp. So currently home cultivation of hemp remains illegal and only commercial cultivation with a license is legal. Texas has few medical cannabis dispensaries that sell very high CBD flower and oil. Last I checked medical cannabis in Texas has to be below a threshold for THC. IIRC the medical cannabis is pretty much industrial hemp flower according to the 0.5% THC threshold. CBD hemp store have stated to open up in the last year.

While cannabis flower is still criminalized, with the introduction of hemp flower to the market, local judges have thrown out all possession charges for flower. Oil and concentrates remain a felony and prosecution for possession of oil is a good cash grab for the many local police agencies. But times are changing, the county I used to live in was notorious for locking people up for cannabis four years ago. I heard tales of how the police department would weigh paraphernalia with the cannabis so the charges were higher but around 3 years ago that changed as it became a 200 dollar paraphernalia charge and all cannabis was confiscated, I still think oil is a felony.

I'm hoping that in 4-8 years Texas changes its drugs policy and opens up to home cultivation of hemp and cannabis. The notion that Texans can't cultivate their own hemp and cannabis is pretty backwards.

• Skywatcher, flashingrooster and YoshiTrainer like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,253 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2020 - 08:54 PM

California here,

I have had access to medical dispensary's for 10 years now. Anyone could make an appointment at a licensing location with a doctor, who did not really question your need, but was sure to instruct you on options and locations for dispensary's.

Everything was in there from concentrates, edibles, tinctures oils and butter, and a huge selection of bud.

It became legal 3 and a half years ago. At that time, having no barrier to growing my own without fear, I have not been in a dispensary since. Edibles and high cbd/thc strains are where I prefer to go these days, and I have not missed having to run out to go buy refills at all.

• coorsmikey, Ronald Ray Gun, Moonless and 2 others like this

#4 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:05 PM

I was surprised that Oklahoma embraced it before Texas, don’t live their anymore but was glad to hear the news . A lot of states are following the system that OK has now which is cool too .
  • flashingrooster likes this

#5 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,417 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 April 2020 - 09:40 PM

We don't have a medical program here in Alaska, but we do have recreational dispensaries here.  It has become much less restrictive in the last 4 years or so.

• happy4nic8r, Boebs and flashingrooster like this

#6 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 708 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 10:04 AM

Florida has moved to medical now, easy to get if you pay the 400$ for a green doc and license fee.

Some great products available.

#7 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 12:05 PM

California here,

I have had access to medical dispensary's for 10 years now. Anyone could make an appointment at a licensing location with a doctor, who did not really question your need, but was sure to instruct you on options and locations for dispensary's.

Everything was in there from concentrates, edibles, tinctures oils and butter, and a huge selection of bud.

It became legal 3 and a half years ago. At that time, having no barrier to growing my own without fear, I have not been in a dispensary since. Edibles and high cbd/thc strains are where I prefer to go these days, and I have not missed having to run out to go buy refills at all.

I was always Jealous of California's medical laws. When we went to L.A. it was so cool to see people just smoking it everywhere  

Another time we stopped in Fort Bragg on the way back up the coast and managed to convince a nice person to sell us a little bit of bud. They were so paranoid no payment was accepted, just gave it to us in case we were the police. It was so nice it blew my mind It was a strange culture clash of me being used to only being able to access it in the black market, and her wanting to help me but didn't want to do anything illegal. It was a humongous bag of weed and we probably only smoked 1/10 of it. Gave some away and eventually ran out of vacation days so it got tossed in the garbage before we hit the border

It was a travesty, broke my stoner heart to throw it out.  I am pretty sure I have re occurring dreams about drug smuggling across borders because of this event

It sure is nice not having to buy weed from a store. I sort of consider it a treat now. I can't grow it as fancy but it can do the same job. This next crop is going to have to be a big one :biggrin:

Edited by flashingrooster, 19 April 2020 - 12:09 PM.

#8 Ronald Ray Gun

Ronald Ray Gun

Woodchip fever

• Black VIP
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:07 PM

In Cali you used to have to go to the larger cities like SF,Oakland,LA to see the "cool' doctors.  Then It started spreading. even with legalization there are still benefits to getting your Medical script.

The best being most dispensaries charging much less for product and wont charge you tax.

and those taxes can be pretty high. State sales tax,plus county and even city taxes in some cases. Any dispensary worth its salt is going to pay that tax for all their medical patients.

Getting a medical script suuuuuuper easy these days. Go to local dispensary and when they ask for your medical script,tell them you dont have one. They will give you a web address and you visit that site,pay your 30$ and you now have a medical script valid all over the state.

Medical dispensaries are more abundant than recreational dispensaries, and a lot of them deliver with minimum purchase. Delivery is cool because it gives you that lost feeling of "meeting your guy"

• Skywatcher, Moonless and flashingrooster like this

#9 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,702 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:38 PM

I can go less than a mile in any direction and run into a dispensary.. if you have a med card, you don't pay the taxes. if you are recreational, you do pay a lot in taxes, but the price has gone down

considerably, cheaper than black market. Premium top shelf runs anywhere from $150oz to $200oz, sun grown (outdoor premium) is usually around $100oz, sometimes as low as $75oz.

home growers can have 4 plants, registered med patients can have 6.

i still grow my own  :biggrin:

• mushit, Sidestreet, flashingrooster and 1 other like this

#10 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 47 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 03:49 PM

Oklahoma is “medical” but pretty loose medical . Tons of dispensaries . When I lived in nj it sucked . Expensive med card and 6 dispensaries in the state ! So corrupt, fuck those politicians

#11 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 330 posts

Posted 19 April 2020 - 05:40 PM

Growing your own, under the shining sun, in the Earth with natural fertilizer is so nice! :)
  • flashingrooster and Mycol like this

#12 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,600 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 02:20 AM

I got busted for plants when it was a felony, in 1969, but I was a minor then and it didn't affect me much. I grew some plants every year since then, and have only in the past 6 years been able to breathe easy and let them get huge and fully flowered before cutting them down. It is something I never truly thought I'd see in my lifetime, and I still would feel strange smoking it in front of a cop.

I would have felt really lost if we hadn't been able to open enough eyes and get them to vote it in based on it's merits, and lack of detremental q

• Sidestreet, Skywatcher, flashingrooster and 1 other like this

#13 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,626 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 05:22 AM

I moved away from my home state a year before it went recreational.  :/  Now I'm somewhere else and it looks like new reforms are on hold.  I had a small medical grow before and I would really love to do it again.

#14 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,201 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 May 2020 - 07:02 PM

This is just the beginning.  The wonder weed will be legalized all over the world eventually.  Unfortunately, I will be no longer living.

Nothing has really changed for me.  I grew before it was legal, and I grow now that it is legal.  I have never bought anything from the gov't with their high prices.

It is great living in a legalized country.

#15 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,626 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 May 2020 - 05:11 AM

Hasn't legalization brought prices down?  I know taxes are high, and I did hear prices were high in some places at first.  Did that get any better?

#16 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,294 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 09:53 AM

At first it had the opposite effect, the black market got cheaper and now the legal market is trying to play catch up.

Recently if feels like it has gotten better. There are some massive grow facilities that are going to open up and hopefully flood the market with supply

Average price for a quality 28 grams was 200-240 bucks say four years ago on the black market. It dropped down to around 160-180 when legalization loomed. Legal weed was running average 40 bucks for 3.5 grams when it came out. So around the 300 dollar range for an ounce.

Now they have some cheaper one's for say 25 bucks for 3.5 grams, so that's around 200 an ounce.

The edibles and concentrates just came out last fall and seem expensive to me. Nearly double the cost for the amount of thc you get when compared to black market websites. For example you can get a 1g vape cartridge for 50 bucks black market or get a .5g one from the legal for the same price

Maybe we just need more time, then again everything is more expensive in Canada. I remember the first time my friends and I went on a road trip. Things seemed so much cheaper, particularity in Montana and Nevada. We could not believe how cheap a stop at the gas station was for a case of beer and snacks. Our sin tax on alcohol blows hard, people love to head to the border to pick up cheap American booze

Edited by flashingrooster, 20 May 2020 - 09:55 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!