Paradox
©
Fisana

Jump to content


Photo
- - - - -

Don’t do what I did lol


  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Axl0586

Axl0586

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 April 2020 - 11:53 PM

Was using syringe to inject water into my substrate bc I don’t like misting pins because I’m scared of causing them to abort. So Im just dipping my syringe in my gallon of distilled water and realized I went through a little spot of mold and now have infected my entire jug. They are only $1 but it still sucks to have to throw it out. Not worth trying to boil it since I don’t think boiling kills mold. And I refuse to bust out the PC for some water. Good thing I have 3 more gallons. Lesson of day...if you’re going to inject your substrate pour the water into another container to draw from. Noob mistake # 4378
  • CaptainMyco likes this

#2 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

    I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

  • OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:03 AM

Was using syringe to inject water into my substrate bc I don’t like misting pins because I’m scared of causing them to abort. So Im just dipping my syringe in my gallon of distilled water and realized I went through a little spot of mold and now have infected my entire jug. They are only $1 but it still sucks to have to throw it out. Not worth trying to boil it since I don’t think boiling kills mold. And I refuse to bust out the PC for some water. Good thing I have 3 more gallons. Lesson of day...if you’re going to inject your substrate pour the water into another container to draw from. Noob mistake # 4378

Okay, so you attempted to hydrate/rehydrate your substrate with a syringe because you were afraid to mist your substrate directly because you didn't want pins to abort?

 

I'm not sure where you're getting your information from, but I can tell you without a doubt, that one can mist the shit out of a healthy cubensis colony, pins and all, with no negative consequences.


  • Nicked likes this

#3 FunG

FunG

    Been there, read that.

  • Free Member
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:08 PM

It wasnt me lol

#4 GoodDoctor06

GoodDoctor06

    Mycophiliac

  • Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 02:45 AM

Wait, wait wait ....boiling wont kill molds in water?



#5 Excession27

Excession27

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 May 2020 - 10:48 PM

Wait, wait wait ....boiling wont kill molds in water?

I want to know the answer to this question as well.



#6 GoodDoctor06

GoodDoctor06

    Mycophiliac

  • Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 01:29 AM

Does boiling water kill mold contaminates,?



#7 SMOKIEDABEAR

SMOKIEDABEAR

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:24 PM

It should unless you live in a moldy area of the world. Thankfully I am in a very very dry and hot area. I have to try very hard to get mold to grow here.work with what you have.good luck all!!!

#8 SlimPickins

SlimPickins

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 09:12 AM

Hopefully this isn't too old to bump.

I've been wondering what people to to try to sanitize the water they mist with. I currently have a bucket attached to a mistKing system. I've added some hydrogen peroxide to the water after hearing it can kill spores without affecting myc or fruiting bodies, and also have a UVB light mounted in the lid of the bucket which i turn on for 10 min or so before misting. 


Edited by coorsmikey, 22 August 2020 - 09:25 AM.
removed link from introductory post


#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

    Passenger

  • App Administrator
  • 7,476 posts

Donator


Awards Bar:

Posted 22 August 2020 - 09:31 AM

Colonized substrates are somewhat contaminant resistant or in other words have an immune system. While its helpful not to introduce additional risks of contamination, often going over board can cuz more harm than good. H2o2 may not kill the mycelium but it does weaken the mycelium making less able to defend itself from contamination.

Edited by coorsmikey, 22 August 2020 - 11:01 AM.

  • SlimPickins likes this

#10 SlimPickins

SlimPickins

    Mycophiliac

  • Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 12:34 PM

Colonized substrates are somewhat contaminant resistant or in other words have an immune system. While its helpful not to introduce additional risks of contamination, often going over board can cuz more harm than good. H2o2 may not kill the mycelium but it does weaken the mycelium making less able to defend itself from contamination.

That's a good point. Hopefully I didn't go to crazy with it. Actually I only added a bottle of 3% H2O2 to about 2 gallons of water, so it's probably even too diluted to get rid of contam. Hopefully just enough to hinder any loose mold spores that may have ended up in the water supply. Eventually maybe I'll invest in an RO system haha.






Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!