48 replies to this topic

#1 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 01:26 PM

So a couple of buddies of mine and I are growing the first strain that we grew.

My first was Cambos. From what I remember, they were really fast colonizers and prolific fruiters. I ordered from a different vendor, so they're most likely different genetics (I mean in theory they should be the same, right?)

I just germinated to ~8 jars of agar. After the Chitwan syringe disaster (read about it here https://mycotopia.ne...45#entry1449418), I really want to do another round of cakes, so depending on how the germ jars look, I'm mos def gonna run some of them as cakes.

Anyway, anyone is welcome to join me on this thread. If you're an old head with a ton of experience, let's compare our first grow with a new grow, If you're a youngin', run some cakes or whatever.

If y'all have agar questions, please throw them on my agar thread:

https://mycotopia.ne...k-some-agar-30/

• Jrotten, adrian118, RutgerHauer and 3 others like this

#2 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 683 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 03:43 PM

Golden Teacher was my first grow. My FOAFOAFOAF, is still trying to revive some old spores from it, I think mostly out of stubbornness. I can't imagine how much the difference might be, back then we were loooow tech, mostly relying on luck. Towards the end of the era, we had just discovered popcorn but no bulk, just a little damp verm as a case. All fom MS.

Damn I sound old......I remeber when, I used to tie an onion to my belt....it was the style at the time. :)

Good luck with the Cambos!
  • Ronald Ray Gun, CatsAndBats, Jrotten and 1 other like this

#3 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 04:31 PM

Golden Teacher was my first grow. My FOAFOAFOAF, is still trying to revive some old spores from it, I think mostly out of stubbornness. I can't imagine how much the difference might be, back then we were loooow tech, mostly relying on luck. Towards the end of the era, we had just discovered popcorn but no bulk, just a little damp verm as a case. All fom MS.

Damn I sound old......I remeber when, I used to tie an onion to my belt....it was the style at the time. :)

Good luck with the Cambos!

Germinate and replicate!

• Choices and YoshiTrainer like this

#4 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 69 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 08:30 PM

i just put my very frist spore print (pesa) on agar. its been 5 years since ive work with them and im so excited to see its mycelium growing :) there's something special about the first strains imo
  • Choices likes this

#5 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 973 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 09:08 PM

I’m ahead of you in the grow and behind you because I’ve only grown 4 strains to fruit, but I have my first B+ clone in a shoebox at 100%. Trying to decide if I want to case it or not. I’ve never NOT cased, and it’s heavy in the straw, but I kind of want to see it.
  • Choices likes this

#6 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 632 posts

Posted 21 April 2020 - 10:40 PM

My First was cakes of GT and B+. I took spore prints and tried them to agar and that was a CF. I’m going to try again with less spores, I really scraped a lot. See if that changes any thing. Onward n Upward.

#7 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 April 2020 - 11:57 PM

i just put my very frist spore print (pesa) on agar. its been 5 years since ive work with them and im so excited to see its mycelium growing :) there's something special about the first strains imo

Wait, so you are putting your first print that you ever took, 5 years ago, onto agar, now?! If that's the case, I would very much like you to share your results on this thread!

I’m ahead of you in the grow and behind you because I’ve only grown 4 strains to fruit, but I have my first B+ clone in a shoebox at 100%. Trying to decide if I want to case it or not. I’ve never NOT cased, and it’s heavy in the straw, but I kind of want to see it.

Was B+ your first strain? Even if it wasn't, you're welcome to post your results here. After I got a bunch of bulk grows under my belt, I revisited growing cakes with an old ass B+ syringe that I was gifted:

post-147940-0-94027400-1456623913.jpg

https://mycotopia.ne...tattack-some-b/ (I'm itching to grow cakes so bad right now!)

My First was cakes of GT and B+. I took spore prints and tried them to agar and that was a CF. I’m going to try again with less spores, I really scraped a lot. See if that changes any thing. Onward n Upward.

Will you please expand?

#8 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 69 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:44 AM

[quote name="CatsAndBats" post="1450163" timestamp="1587531468"][quote name="DrepsiLocybe" post="1450147" timestamp="1587519040"]i just put my very frist spore print (pesa) on agar. its been 5 years since ive work with them and im so excited to see its mycelium growing :) there's something special about the first strains imo[/quote]

Wait, so you are putting your first print that you ever took, 5 years ago, onto agar, now?! If that's the case, I would very much like you to share your results on this thread!

‐--------------------------------

yup :) just made the first transfer of clean myc (was expecting contam on the first plates). i will for sure post the new results vs the very first flush i got from it and the cap i took the print from. im very excited to see those guys again

Edited by DrepsiLocybe, 22 April 2020 - 12:45 AM.

• TVCasualty, CatsAndBats, adrian118 and 1 other like this

#9 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:51 AM

[quote name="DrepsiLocybe" post="1450147" timestamp="1587519040"]i just put my very frist spore print (pesa) on agar. its been 5 years since ive work with them and im so excited to see its mycelium growing :) there's something special about the first strains imo

yup :) just made the first transfer of clean myc (was expecting contam on the first plates). i will for sure post the new results vs the very first flush i got from it and the cap i took the print from. im very excited to see those guys again

I'm excited for you! Let's do this!

• DrepsiLocybe likes this

#10 RutgerHauer

RutgerHauer

Knows Nothing

• Free Member
  • 1,009 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:05 AM

I just revisited Golden Teacher a month ago, it was the first variety I grew/tried to grow a few years ago. Used the same spore vial even.

I can join in from another angle by growing Cambodians for the first time. Have a vial of MS sitting in my fridge and can make an LC first to expand a bit today, but that probably means I'll be late with my results by a few weeks.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#11 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 253 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:24 AM

This is a great idea. My first was "'Natal Super Strength'' on cakes. The strain seems to still need a lot of work in a controlled environment. All the grows I did had lots of tomentose overlay type growth and had a long thin sort of appearance. Kind of like they really wanted more FAE and were all stretched out. I buried a mono outside after it had flushed a few times and the fruits that popped up were stunning and completely different phenotypically (thin stems with dense fat caps and quite short). I think I've managed to get some decent experiebnce now and should start working on getting a bit of a stabilized version of NSS going so this thread definitely provides some good motivation (thanks!)...

Here's a bunch of pics from those grows

Very first success

IMG_20190817_112845 - Copy.jpg

Monotub a couple months after the first grow (GT tub done in exactly the same conditions showed normal growth and no need for more FAE)

IMG_20191111_202307.jpg

Outdoor patch from one of the mono's I retired

IMG_20191126_184355 (1).jpg  IMG_20191126_184442 (1).jpg  

I really like how the fruits dried up too..

IMG_20191127_081257.jpg

I think it's definitely possible to get these guys into a really aesthetic strain just going off of what the outdoor patches looked like. They are naturally leucistic and have a stunning blue sheen and bruise a very dark blue. With all the extra time on my hands I think I better get these guys onto some agar and work on some small shoebox grows. 

• Arathu, Ronald Ray Gun, MycoAnt81 and 2 others like this

#12 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,087 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:17 AM

I'm pretty sure the first strain I grew was psilocybe cubensis: south American followed by golden teachers.

I'm currently working with the gt's from spore prints I took earlier this month from a ms grow. They're super easy to cultivate compared to some p.cubensis that require a ton of f.a.e. I'm trying to think back 15+ years if i recall anything different about them from the first spore syringe i received from ralphster compared to the one I ordered from sporeworks back in 2019 but cannot recall any differences other then sporeworks spores producing gigantic bountiful flushes of dwarf mushrooms, I believe the original gt syringe I received threw ralphster back in the early 2000's produced slightly larger mushrooms from Ms but that being said on all occasions it was Ms innoculent used so I cant really say for certain.

Yup, I love gt. Best strain to grow invitro with....I think I ordered it a 2nd time due to its popularity without even realizing how low maintenance it is to grow.
  • CatsAndBats, MycoAnt81, Nicked and 1 other like this

#13 dionysiusnextdoor

dionysiusnextdoor

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:29 AM

Run my first strain again? Hell no!

My first few batches were wild cubes I picked and the results were all over the place: uneven fruiting, mostly small, scraggly little shrooms.

When I looked on sites like Mycotopia and saw the full, lush flushes, I couldn't figure put what I was doing wrong with my process.

It wasn't until I bot a Golden Teacher print that unrealized the importance of breeding and strain.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#14 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:39 AM

I just revisited Golden Teacher a month ago, it was the first variety I grew/tried to grow a few years ago. Used the same spore vial even.

I can join in from another angle by growing Cambodians for the first time. Have a vial of MS sitting in my fridge and can make an LC first to expand a bit today, but that probably means I'll be late with my results by a few weeks.

If you successfully make a clean LC from a syringe (crap shoot IMHO), you'll be on pace or slightly ahead of me. I just germinated to agar.

WELCOME TO THE TERRORDOME! :tongue:

[Direct Link]

Studio version:

[Direct Link]

This is a great idea. My first was "'Natal Super Strength'' on cakes. The strain seems to still need a lot of work in a controlled environment. All the grows I did had lots of tomentose overlay type growth and had a long thin sort of appearance. Kind of like they really wanted more FAE and were all stretched out. I buried a mono outside after it had flushed a few times and the fruits that popped up were stunning and completely different phenotypically (thin stems with dense fat caps and quite short). I think I've managed to get some decent experiebnce now and should start working on getting a bit of a stabilized version of NSS going so this thread definitely provides some good motivation (thanks!)...

Here's a bunch of pics from those grows

Very first success

Monotub a couple months after the first grow (GT tub done in exactly the same conditions showed normal growth and no need for more FAE)

attachicon.gifIMG_20191111_202307.jpg

Outdoor patch from one of the mono's I retired

attachicon.gifIMG_20191126_184355 (1).jpg attachicon.gifIMG_20191126_184442 (1).jpg

I really like how the fruits dried up too..

attachicon.gifIMG_20191127_081257.jpg

I think it's definitely possible to get these guys into a really aesthetic strain just going off of what the outdoor patches looked like. They are naturally leucistic and have a stunning blue sheen and bruise a very dark blue. With all the extra time on my hands I think I better get these guys onto some agar and work on some small shoebox grows. 

Great post! Welcome to the terrordome! :tongue:

I nominated you for pic of the month:

https://mycotopia.ne...t/#entry1450197

Edited by CatsAndBats, 22 April 2020 - 11:40 AM.

• Ronald Ray Gun, RutgerHauer and Nicked like this

#15 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:43 AM

My first few batches were wild cubes I picked and the results were all over the place: uneven fruiting, mostly small, scraggly little shrooms.

When I looked on sites like Mycotopia and saw the full, lush flushes, I couldn't figure put what I was doing wrong with my process.

It wasn't until I bot a Golden Teacher print that unrealized the importance of breeding and strain.

That's funny. Germinate some GTs?

#16 Baphom3t

Baphom3t

A Watcher

• VIP
  • 580 posts

Donator

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:53 AM

My first grow was Cambo and PR both of which was MS to rye and cased with coir then tossed in a GH.
They did good IMO, but I'm not one that wants to make forests of mush.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#17 dionysiusnextdoor

dionysiusnextdoor

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:09 PM

That's funny. Germinate some GTs?

GTs and many others.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#18 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 12:09 PM

My first grow was Cambo and PR both of which was MS to rye and cased with coir then tossed in a GH.
They did good IMO, but I'm not one that wants to make forests of mush.

Run a cake?

#19 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 253 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:35 PM

Great post! Welcome to the terrordome! :tongue:

I nominated you for pic of the month:

https://mycotopia.ne...t/#entry1450197[/quote]

Thanks! Glad you liked the different growth forms. I'll streak a few plates tomorrow and get this party started!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#20 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,560 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 02:41 PM

Good luck, hope you get some to pop since you'd be selecting for spore longevity which IMO is an under-appreciated trait.

I've had a bunch of strains whose spores all crapped out in 3 years, showing no growth at all when I tried to use them (they were stored in syringes in the fridge). But one of them still worked, and it fruited nicely (it was just a bit slow to get started).

I'd been given a handful of syringes by someone who'd ordered a bunch 3 years prior but never got around to growing any. The one (out of seven) that grew ended up becoming my standard go-to strain for the vast majority of my grows. I've tested prints out to 6 years old and they still grow, so I started to really appreciate spore longevity as a desirable trait since I don't grow all the time. I'm also curious how much spore vigor and longevity relate to other desirable traits like clustering (it's a great strain for that plus I select for it when making prints) or speed of colonization (it's MUCH faster than the first strain I ever grew, which was the PF Classic).

I still grow the PFCs every few years or so to keep a fresh stock of spores (it's got decent longevity, too).

• Tenderfoot, CatsAndBats and Nicked like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!