48 replies to this topic

#21 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:03 PM

i just put my very frist spore print (pesa) on agar. its been 5 years since ive work with them and im so excited to see its mycelium growing :) there's something special about the first strains imo

Wait, so you are putting your first print that you ever took, 5 years ago, onto agar, now?! If that's the case, I would very much like you to share your results on this thread!

‐--------------------------------

yup :) just made the first transfer of clean myc (was expecting contam on the first plates). i will for sure post the new results vs the very first flush i got from it and the cap i took the print from. im very excited to see those guys again

Good luck, hope you get some to pop since you'd be selecting for spore longevity which IMO is an under-appreciated trait.

I've had a bunch of strains whose spores all crapped out in 3 years, showing no growth at all when I tried to use them (they were stored in syringes in the fridge). But one of them still worked, and it fruited nicely (it was just a bit slow to get started).

I'd been given a handful of syringes by someone who'd ordered a bunch 3 years prior but never got around to growing any. The one (out of seven) that grew ended up becoming my standard go-to strain for the vast majority of my grows. I've tested prints out to 6 years old and they still grow, so I started to really appreciate spore longevity as a desirable trait since I don't grow all the time. I'm also curious how much spore vigor and longevity relate to other desirable traits like clustering (it's a great strain for that plus I select for it when making prints) or speed of colonization (it's MUCH faster than the first strain I ever grew, which was the PF Classic).

I still grow the PFCs every few years or so to keep a fresh stock of spores (it's got decent longevity, too).
thank you!
ive been trying to bring them back for few months now, i made those prints in foil and them put them in a photo album. ive been trying germinate them on agar and it finally took off last week. i really hope it fruits. the original grow was from a bag block on a martha tent. was my very first big fruit :).
this time id try to fruit them in a monotub and actually work with them.
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#22 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:08 PM

i just put my very frist spore print (pesa) on agar. its been 5 years since ive work with them and im so excited to see its mycelium growing :) there's something special about the first strains imo

Wait, so you are putting your first print that you ever took, 5 years ago, onto agar, now?! If that's the case, I would very much like you to share your results on this thread!

yup :) just made the first transfer of clean myc (was expecting contam on the first plates). i will for sure post the new results vs the very first flush i got from it and the cap i took the print from. im very excited to see those guys again

Good luck, hope you get some to pop since you'd be selecting for spore longevity which IMO is an under-appreciated trait.

I've had a bunch of strains whose spores all crapped out in 3 years, showing no growth at all when I tried to use them (they were stored in syringes in the fridge). But one of them still worked, and it fruited nicely (it was just a bit slow to get started).

I'd been given a handful of syringes by someone who'd ordered a bunch 3 years prior but never got around to growing any. The one (out of seven) that grew ended up becoming my standard go-to strain for the vast majority of my grows. I've tested prints out to 6 years old and they still grow, so I started to really appreciate spore longevity as a desirable trait since I don't grow all the time. I'm also curious how much spore vigor and longevity relate to other desirable traits like clustering (it's a great strain for that plus I select for it when making prints) or speed of colonization (it's MUCH faster than the first strain I ever grew, which was the PF Classic).

I still grow the PFCs every few years or so to keep a fresh stock of spores (it's got decent longevity, too).
thank you!
ive been trying to bring them back for few months now, i made those prints in foil and them put them in a photo album. ive been trying germinate them on agar and it finally took off last week. i really hope it fruits. the original grow was from a bag block on a martha tent. was my very first big fruit :).
this time id try to fruit them in a monotub and actually work with them.
here is a picture of the fruits i took the spores from878ce743696c74d9f35336b4bf4fa863.jpg
  • TVCasualty, Tenderfoot, Ronald Ray Gun and 3 others like this

#23 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:11 PM

I'm running PFCs now. Pretty slow, but solid strain.

That's a really interesting point TV, I never thought of that. I have a "Goliath" print that has not expressed the large sized as advertised fruits. I'm not very happy with it so I won't mention the vendor name.

But check this out:

So I do know that the spores are very viable (assuming it's correctly labeled), and the germination rate is less than 7 days too.

Edited by coorsmikey, 19 May 2020 - 08:45 PM.

• TVCasualty and DrepsiLocybe like this

#24 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:46 PM

I'm running PFCs now. Pretty slow, but solid strain.

That's a really interesting point TV, I never thought of that. I have a "Goliath" print that has not expressed the large sized as advertised fruits. I'm not very happy with it so I won't mention the vendor name.

But check this out:

attachicon.gifprint date.jpg

So I do know that the spores are very viable (assuming it's correctly labeled), and the germination rate is less than 7 days too.
im running those too.
never fruit then before ... but the myc seems aggressive. got those from sporeworks last october... finally playing with them.798b366cd68b3406a28448fd43676cbe.jpg1c78523e6b6dab9bbf0b0b8635629085.jpg
  • YoshiTrainer likes this

#25 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 03:55 PM

Cool! Maybe join us over here too:

https://mycotopia.ne...naeolus-thread/

#26 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 573 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 04:47 PM

[quote name="Choices" post="1450158" timestamp="1587526834"]My First was cakes of GT and B+. I took spore prints and tried them to agar and that was a CF. I’m going to try again with less spores, I really scraped a lot. See if that changes any thing. Onward n Upward.[/quote]

Will you please expand?[/quote]

I posted these on another thread CnB. And you and Arathu gave me some well words of advice and encouragement. Soups on!!

db87afa72cab34f85787fca9cdf37733.jpg
89c2cd91848b4342906c3a848ce059ff.jpg

Edited by Choices, 22 April 2020 - 04:48 PM.

#27 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 880 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:02 PM

Yep.  B+ was the first strain ever.  I had enough from those early grows that when life got busy I had stash until they lost potency after several years.  When I decided I wanted to grow again B+ is what I went back to because it felt safe.  I took my first clone samples and am currently letting it colonize and waiting for it to knot.  That's the grow from this thread https://mycotopia.ne...in-my-bulk-sub/

#28 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 05:17 PM

I'm out of likes, ladies and gentles-germs or however y'all identify, but all a y'all get an imaginary one!

• Nicked likes this

#29 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,437 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 April 2020 - 06:08 PM

878ce743696c74d9f35336b4bf4fa863.jpg

Looks like that one mushroom is checking out your permanent spore print. You appear to be very committed to this pursuit, to put it mildly. :thumbs_up:

• Arathu, Ronald Ray Gun, DrepsiLocybe and 1 other like this

#30 dionysiusnextdoor

dionysiusnextdoor

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:56 AM

Run my first strain again? Hell no!

My first few batches were wild cubes I picked and the results were all over the place: uneven fruiting, mostly small, scraggly little shrooms.

When I looked on sites like Mycotopia and saw the full, lush flushes, I couldn't figure put what I was doing wrong with my process.

It wasn't until I bot a Golden Teacher print that unrealized the importance of breeding and strain.

That's funny. Germinate some GTs?

GTs and many others.

#31 dionysiusnextdoor

dionysiusnextdoor

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 April 2020 - 05:56 AM

Run my first strain again? Hell no!

My first few batches were wild cubes I picked and the results were all over the place: uneven fruiting, mostly small, scraggly little shrooms.

When I looked on sites like Mycotopia and saw the full, lush flushes, I couldn't figure put what I was doing wrong with my process.

It wasn't until I bot a Golden Teacher print that unrealized the importance of breeding and strain.

That's funny. Germinate some GTs?

GTs and many others.

Also, after breeding that ghetto strain a bit I've developed a lovely strain that has a big cap that are very round before the cap flattens and the veil breaks,

They look like lollipops!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#32 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:38 PM

My first grow was in 1982, using the strain that Denis and Terence McKenna sold through their company, Lux Natura. I suppose it would have been a descendent of the samples they brought back from their notorious trip to the Colombian Amazon in the early 70s.

I wish I'd hung onto some prints, but I lost that lineage a long time ago.

• Tenderfoot, CatsAndBats and Nicked like this

#33 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2020 - 02:18 PM

My first grow was in 1982, using the strain that Denis and Terence McKenna sold through their company, Lux Natura. I suppose it would have been a descendent of the samples they brought back from their notorious trip to the Colombian Amazon in the early 70s.

What's another strain from the way back that you can grow?

#34 Jrotten

Jrotten

Rejecter of False Authority

• Gold VIP
  • 880 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:57 AM

Well this is a lot of firsts...

First Strain, B+
First tray started from agar
First clone
First time with this sub recipe
First cold lime pasteurization
First time not to case so I could see the surface
First pins of all that
First time having seedlings sprout up in my tray because the lime didn’t kill the seeds in the straw

There’s one pin growing down in a little tunnel in the sub and it reminds me of the exogorth from star wars

Attached Thumbnails

• 8FBDAA84-4989-477C-8561-768CA148553B.jpeg
  • D96D3975-5C47-4869-A7AF-C9CFA2D729CE.jpeg
  • 1E161CDA-7DDA-43D3-BA42-2711BEADE2B4.jpeg

• Ronald Ray Gun, CatsAndBats, HankTheYeti and 1 other like this

#35 DrepsiLocybe

DrepsiLocybe

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2020 - 08:57 AM

are you talking about the syzygy? or a different one?

#36 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 06:28 AM

are you talking about the syzygy? or a different one?

I think the name Syzygy was used a bit later. The company name they used in the early days was Lux Natura.  I suspect the variety was the same, though...a descendent of the "Stropharia cubensis" they brought back from La Chorrera. It was a pretty typical cube, as I recall...maybe a bit stronger than most. (I have a hazy memory that their pamphlet also mentioned a variety from Brazil that would be offered soon).

#37 WalkingCatfish

WalkingCatfish

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 185 posts

Posted 26 April 2020 - 06:31 AM

I don't have any from the way back, unfortunately. When I took up growing again, my first run was B+...I probably kept some prints from that.

#38 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 April 2020 - 09:05 AM

Well this is a lot of firsts...

First Strain, B+
First tray started from agar
First clone
First time with this sub recipe
First cold lime pasteurization
First time not to case so I could see the surface
First pins of all that
First time having seedlings sprout up in my tray because the lime didn’t kill the seeds in the straw

There’s one pin growing down in a little tunnel in the sub and it reminds me of the exogorth from star wars

That's a great analogy!

I don't have any from the way back, unfortunately. When I took up growing again, my first run was B+...I probably kept some prints from that.

There's a lot of b+ first and/or early grows.

#39 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2020 - 11:59 AM

A quick update.. My NSS spores on agar have just started colonizing the plate.. The adventure begins!
  • CatsAndBats, adrian118 and YoshiTrainer like this

#40 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 April 2020 - 02:06 PM

post-147940-0-87246700-1588186920.gif

Here's the cambos on agar, germ date 4/20, so nine days, and this one is the best looking one with the most amount of growth. I'll monitor the other germed plates and see if any of them start showing some desirable traits, but right now this one is winning the genetics race.

Attached Thumbnails

• cambodian on agar.gif

• RutgerHauer and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!