• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Rukhomuk

Rukhomuk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:29 PM

Hey! I have started to grow some, might as well post here and see together where this is going to go :)

Its is my second time starting silene capensis, first round ending up with damping off seedlings last year. Which means I am not very experienced with this plant (or plants in general to be fair), so consult with the others before following what I do here.

The picture is almost a month in since sowing the seeds in this starter, with a plastic cover giving it a greenhouse effect. Currently living in Northern Europe in zone 3A. I have a casual 40w growlight.

Going to transfer these very soon in a fabric pot for the roots to have more air access. 

I was first thinking of going with cactus soil but I thin I will try this one with mycorrhiza

I am guessing the soil has good drainage properties while retaining water (although I can't really understand the language)

let's go !

Attached Thumbnails

• photo_2020-04-23_06-06-48.jpg

Edited by Rukhomuk, 22 April 2020 - 10:32 PM.

#2 Rukhomuk

Rukhomuk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 10:39 PM

Side topic: What do you think about the guy claiming his Silene to be 6 weeks old here? https://mycotopia.ne...welcome/page-10

09135be57cde27138de9a9555c8975e8.jpg

my mind is blown at how much I don't know about growing if what this guy says is legit.

Edited by Rukhomuk, 22 April 2020 - 11:35 PM.

#3 ElrikEriksson

ElrikEriksson

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 486 posts

Posted 22 April 2020 - 11:56 PM

I used to grow this species.

Don't be tricked by abundant surface growth in the first year, they should be several years old for descent root yield.

I grew most of mine in the ground, although I did grow one large in regular potting soil. I would avoid cactus soil or anything with sand if you intend to consume it by the froth method.

When the seed pods are turning from green to light brown check the plants before rain and any that are splitting open, harvest the pod and 4-8 cm of stem and put them upside down in a glass to mature and dry a little so you can harvest the seed. Otherwise the pods can get filled with water and rot.

#4 Rukhomuk

Rukhomuk

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 12 posts

Posted 17 April 2021 - 09:56 AM

So, one year passes. Because I have to relocate soon, I initiated the harvest one year sooner and this is the result.

photo_2021-04-17_17-32-12.jpg  

Pretty soon after germination they went in this cloth bag

photo_2021-04-17_17-32-14.jpg

Razorblade for scale

photo_2021-04-17_17-31-44.jpg

Drying now under the sun

Everything is grown indoors and the growth was pretty lush and green until winter, then I got this drying-yellowing leaves and a grayish smear (could be a fungus buy I am not sure).

If I did it again I'd put less individual plants in one pot (instead of 26 of them). The growth, as can be seen, is pretty uneven. We got overly fed and underfed roots, but this should have been expected.

I saved 4 of them and put them in inorganic soil, if they ever flower I will share here as well :)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!