44 replies to this topic

#1 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:49 PM

Hey everyone,

I am interested in information for growing outside. Could an individual in June and still have fruit or is this a longer project.

In a totally unrelated question, why is it so difficult to find Psilocybe Cyanescens for my microscopy collection? I can find them, but shipping is quite expensive.

Cheers,

el hongo

• Moonless likes this

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,349 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 April 2020 - 01:53 PM

Depending upon your location, you should be fine starting an outdoor project in June. It only takes about 30-45 days from spawn to fruiting.

Go for it.

• UnHeisenbug likes this

#3 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 07:43 AM

Yeah, the grow would be in Northern Europe.

I'm a bit apprehensive since I'm a novice with spores and I wouldn't want to loose them all to contamination by going from spore syringe to grain. I'm interested in trying spore to LC, since it will not require many additional supplies (like agar and plates). Then of LC to grain which I've done to some success as a younger person. I hope that will give me a tolerance to error as long as I get the LC right.

Are LC difficult? Do I need my SAB technique down for them or is it more like making grain spawn?

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,349 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2020 - 10:52 AM

I don't normally go from spore-print to Liquid Culture. If the print has any contamination, you'll not be able to make transfers from an LC as you would with agar.

What you propose is not impossible. I recommend reading up on a few LC teks in the vaults. I almost guarantee that all of your questions will have been answered in at least one of those articles.

• Moonless and UnHeisenbug like this

#5 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2020 - 12:23 PM

I don't normally go from spore-print to Liquid Culture. If the print has any contamination, you'll not be able to make transfers from an LC as you would with agar.

What you propose is not impossible. I recommend reading up on a few LC teks in the vaults. I almost guarantee that all of your questions will have been answered in at least one of those articles.

That is a very fair response. I'll definitely do some reading in the vaults. Thanks for being patient and responding to my post. I understand it comes off as lazy to post questions that may be answered by in depth research, but sometimes the amount of information out there is overwhelming.

Gracias, vato
  • Myc likes this

#6 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 623 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 April 2020 - 05:02 PM

Pulling up my chair. Outdoor grows rock

#7 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:26 AM

Pulling up my chair. Outdoor grows rock

Great! I could use some extra eyes and brains. I bought 50 Liters of bark mulch (variable size chips). On the side of the bag it reads something like, "Fungi species may appear in mulch" so I know it's good.

I want to follow the wayLits' guide https://mycotopia.ne...-woodlover-tek/

I am ordering one kg of Wine Cap spawn for £20 ( also, another species for bio remediation ) and want to make some bulk wood chip trays to get started. And hopefully by June set my outdoor bed!

I am not generating my own spawn because I do not have much experience with LC or agar with mushrooms and I want to settup for potential fruits in the fall. This is why I'm buying grain spawn to start. After setting up my outdoor grow I'll start experimenting with those techniques.

Cheers!
El Hongo

Edited by UnHeisenbug, 03 May 2020 - 06:47 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#8 Uncle G

Uncle G

"Good Ole Uncle G"

• OG VIP
  • 3,676 posts

Donator

Posted 03 May 2020 - 06:12 AM

I always wanted to grow cyans but it was an area that always alluded me.  Hypernation use to grow cyans I think and is a good source of information on here.   Only outside growing I did was with cubes.  Good luck your way 

• UnHeisenbug likes this

#9 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:20 PM

I always wanted to grow cyans but it was an area that always alluded me. Hypernation use to grow cyans I think and is a good source of information on here. Only outside growing I did was with cubes. Good luck your way

Thanks for the heads up G. There was a 50 L bag of horse manure compost at the DIY store. I'm sure you dung lovers could pull pounds with that.

#10 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 03:40 PM

My current questions for my project:

So I got 4cm x 21cm x 27cm trays and 1Kg of grain spawn. Does anyone have an idea about grain to woodchip ratio. I know I am doing three layers of spawn, but what is that roughly in weight?

Also, in Waylit's tech Waylit only puts the woodchips in dilute bleach overnight. That makes me a bit apprehensive about contams. There wouldn't be any hurt starting a cold soak a couple days before or heat patuerizing them, right? Or should I rest at ease?

Also also, what is the purpose of the cardboard at the bottom of the tub?

In the final outdoor bed, how much will I loose without straw in the top layer?

Regards,
El hongo

Edited by UnHeisenbug, 05 May 2020 - 03:41 PM.

• Arathu likes this

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,301 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2020 - 05:59 AM

My current questions for my project:

So I got 4cm x 21cm x 27cm trays and 1Kg of grain spawn. Does anyone have an idea about grain to woodchip ratio. I know I am doing three layers of spawn, but what is that roughly in weight?

Also, in Waylit's tech Waylit only puts the woodchips in dilute bleach overnight. That makes me a bit apprehensive about contams. There wouldn't be any hurt starting a cold soak a couple days before or heat patuerizing them, right? Or should I rest at ease?

Also also, what is the purpose of the cardboard at the bottom of the tub?

In the final outdoor bed, how much will I loose without straw in the top layer?

Regards,
El hongo

Q:Does anyone have an idea about grain to woodchip ratio

A: I use a 1:1 spawn ratio making beds or tubs....but I think it's considered heavy. I also think that view comes from a commercial standpoint and I'm not currently worried about sales of anything....

Q: Also, in Waylit's tech Waylit only puts the woodchips in dilute bleach overnight. That makes me a bit apprehensive about contams. There wouldn't be any hurt starting a cold soak a couple days before or heat patuerizing them, right?

A: He did them that way but I don't use bleach at all. Chips or any other woody substrates, soak in water for a day or two, let them drain and drip dry in a mass in the pasteurizing bag for at least a day or two and then pasteurize in 160F-170F/71C-77C water bath for 3 to 4 hours. I don't know if it's necessary to do that but it works well for me.

I have experimented with cold open air growing techniques and have decided to move away from doing that since contamination/competitive species rates are high and colonization times are long and unpredictable. I haven't got around to growing the wine caps yet but it's on my list. 

Q: Also also, what is the purpose of the cardboard at the bottom of the tub?

A: It acts a contamination resistant and also at the same time a nutritious breathable barrier that provides a moisture reservoir and path for the mycelium to run. The bottom of the layered bed becomes a solid mycelial mat.

Q: In the final outdoor bed, how much will I loose without straw in the top layer?

A: The top layers, whether straw, leaves, cardboard, and etc. etc. are absolutely necessary to help keep the bed(s) from drying out. Letting a woodlover bed dry out WILL set back the growth significantly. My rule of thumb is to keep mushroom beds wet but not soaked or puddling. Sand or gravel underneath the cardboard layer works well to provide drainage. Ensure that your beds drain well. Soaking and flooding with water is natural but drainage is a must IME...

Good growing vibes to you brother! I look forward to seeing you cooking up some of those wine caps.....

A

• Moonless, UnHeisenbug, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#12 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 10:52 AM

Off topic, but there is a Gorgon image in the Roman Bathes in the UK. Your avatar made me think of it.

https://www.romanbat...ects-collection
  • Arathu and makinbones69 like this

#13 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,301 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2020 - 11:04 AM

Off topic, but there is a Gorgon image in the Roman Bathes in the UK. Your avatar made me think of it.

That's interesting and really cool......

I'm half Roman.....the other half Slav....living in the US.... :biggrin:

A

• UnHeisenbug likes this

#14 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:22 PM

That's interesting and really cool......

I'm half Roman.....the other half Slav....living in the US....

A
That states are very rich in geology and biology. Great place is you do not watch the news!
  • Mycol likes this

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,301 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

Keep in mind that using grains in beds outdoors can and WILL attract critters..squirrels, chipmunks, mice, rats, and etc..digging in the beds, not good.....creating wood chip spawn with little or no grain left in it cuts that down to almost nothing.

I have a .22 rifle and some other tricks, cats, that help control things in and around the outdoor grows...still there is some activity no matter what...

• Moonless, UnHeisenbug and Mycol like this

#16 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

Keep in mind that using grains in beds outdoors can and WILL attract critters..squirrels, chipmunks, mice, rats, and etc..digging in the beds, not good.....creating wood chip spawn with little or no grain left in it cuts that down to almost nothing.

I have a .22 rifle and some other tricks, cats, that help control things in and around the outdoor grows...still there is some activity no matter what...

I've been starting from sawdust spawn. Is this not ideally for inoculation time? I'm starting another bed this weekend.
  • Arathu likes this

#17 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 01:50 PM

Here is the bed I started last week. It is 4 liters roughly of bark mulch to 1 kg of wood spawn. The tin foils trays are way to small and I'll be using a bigger tub for my next grow. Also, i seemed to mostly get the bigger wood chips and not all the finer particles in this bed. The Stropharia do not seem to mind. I through in some bark mulch into the bag the spawn came in, punctured some wholes in it, and let it go.

If I let this grow a month will it be ready for outdoors?

2423e98d624b0ee20fe584feeefd6ffe.jpg4c38dd1a2aa4d19e3d4e23c8957ef8a4.jpge19f6941f756f218bd91d7bc9f9f5a5b.jpg55de2a9d52b0d8fcd2d486537a23e002.jpg
  • Arathu, Moonless and YoshiTrainer like this

#18 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:42 PM

So this is what I'm thinking for my next batch of spawn I just received. Of course, I have a bigger tub and about the same amount of sawdust spawn as previously. I am going to meet halfway with Arathu's pasteurization method by soaking the bark mulch overnight, let it drip dry during the day, and then heat pasteurize in the evening (200 F, unless anyone has any reservations on using so much heat.)

Then the rest of the protocol will be similar to my tinfoil dinner above, but with a tub with 8 Liter volume.

So:

Cardboard

Two inches of mulch

I/4th of my spawn

two inches of mulch

1/2 of my spawn

two inches of mulch

mix spawn in with top layer

Stay safe everyone!

El Hongo

Edited by UnHeisenbug, 15 May 2020 - 02:48 PM.

• Arathu and YoshiTrainer like this

#19 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,301 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:32 AM

I like it but don't take the temperatures up into the 200F range. Stay between 150F and 165F for about three to four hours should do the trick just fine....

A

• UnHeisenbug likes this

#20 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 112 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:56 AM

Did you get some p cyan ? This thread is great .

Don’t watch the news!
  • Arathu and UnHeisenbug like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!