44 replies to this topic

#41 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 August 2020 - 08:51 AM

Add some "food" to the bed(s) and experiment, just a small spot, keep it wet for a few weeks and see how the fungus reacts to it...if it jumps onto it you know it will likely expand using that particular substrate.......

If not then test others until you find the stuff a particular species and strain likes.....expand from there....make notes....

I LOVE the thorns added to the bed!

small_GEDC8142.jpg

Moss rocks!

A

Edited by Arathu, 15 August 2020 - 08:54 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#42 Deleena24

Deleena24

Pothead

• Free Member
  • 1,389 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 August 2020 - 09:48 AM

I have a suggestion which really helped my outdoor grow. The temps here have been steady in the 90s and my patch was in full sun.

I fixed it by hanging a planter over the patch so it blocks the sun during the hottest parts if the days. It prevented everything from drying out. The first flush that pinned without the shade ended up aborting completely and turning black in a single day. After I added shade, every pin (thousands) grew to maturity next flush. That bit of shade made a world of difference
  • Arathu, Boebs and YoshiTrainer like this

#43 UnHeisenbug

UnHeisenbug

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 101 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:23 AM

I have a suggestion which really helped my outdoor grow. The temps here have been steady in the 90s and my patch was in full sun.

I fixed it by hanging a planter over the patch so it blocks the sun during the hottest parts if the days. It prevented everything from drying out. The first flush that pinned without the shade ended up aborting completely and turning black in a single day. After I added shade, every pin (thousands) grew to maturity next flush. That bit of shade made a world of difference

That's a great idea. Getting a thousand pin flush is definitely one of my life goals :biggrin: What size of bed do you have? Some of my fall varieties have started to fruit for their first flush. However, the pins are very small and there are only a few. So I'm not sure what is going on. Only that this it's first season and the mycelium might not be that robust.

Add some "food" to the bed(s) and experiment, just a small spot, keep it wet for a few weeks and see how the fungus reacts to it...if it jumps onto it you know it will likely expand using that particular substrate.......

If not then test others until you find the stuff a particular species and strain likes.....expand from there....make notes....

I LOVE the thorns added to the bed!

Moss rocks!

A

I watched this show called "British Wild Gardens" which talks about gardening to attract wildlife. Anyways, I've realized that the birds like to hang out near the beds to eat the slugs which can devastate a fresh flush. So I think the thorns might not be the best in this situation. I was just really paranoid about animals digging up the mycelium.

Now that the heat is gone the moss is going full force!

• Arathu likes this

#44 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 07:34 AM

BUT another thing I've noticed is that the birds will also dig the bed for the insects that feed on the mycelium....a bird netting some distance above the moss can be quite useful. Robins and Blue Jays are some of the worst. Squirrels and Chipmunks from the furry kingdoms.....the whole world wants into your woodies bed for one reason or another..... :cool:

Moss seems to be quite useful for woodlovers...

A

#45 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,294 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 October 2020 - 08:09 AM

Yeah definitely make them OUT of the sun. The sun and mushrooms DO NOT MIX unless you are using a traditional method of drying them (another topic entirely IMHO) The north side of a large stone or wall, tree, hillside and etc (for those in the northern hemisphere, reverse for those in the southern) Permanent shade and moisture without continuous wind.....

Direct sun and also excessive wind will dry the beds and definitely the fruits. Look at where MOSS grows and copy that is the idea I've been following......

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!