• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Paradoc

Paradoc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 07:12 AM

A3B02090-D8DE-44FE-AD7D-849B7233F0AE.jpeg 4B796C92-6904-48F5-BB2C-ACB17B3C8B52.jpeg

I’ve got 10 cakes on perlite in a kit. 4-GT and 6-B+...I *seriously* overdid the GT noc.
Using all 10cc’s of GT spores into only Four jars...10cc spores into 6 B+ jars.
Using a 2 tub kit with an air pump on 4X per day & aquarium heater in H2O below my FC tub.
I give them light 12-16 hrs a day. Overnight I move the top ajar as I’ve noticed moisture on the lid.
Double end cased all.
Some of the Vermiculite I put on top seems to look Black now.

Having no frame of reference am not sure if something went wrong.
There’s no weird smell anywhere and the perlite has taken on a darker appearance.

I’ll start here.
Thanx in advance for any help.
And Thanx to all who’ve been so helpful thus far.
Peace.

#2 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,004 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2020 - 08:09 AM

When mushrooms become mature they send out spores to reproduce and their lifecycle is complete. Your mushroom have done just that, the black stuff is spores that you most likely started your cakes with. But instead of on a print or in a syringe yours just shot their load all over turning everything black. Best to harvest before they get to that point if you intend on consuming ( spores won't hurt you, they just don't look very appetizing) them. In the wild its good to leave a few to do just what yours did to continue growing on the fields of cow patties.

Other than letting you grow spooge all over, it appears that you did good! I would consider it a success!

Edited by coorsmikey, 28 April 2020 - 08:29 AM.

• OldBear and Paradoc like this

#3 roc

roc

Forum International Moderator

• 8,048 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

Welcome to 'Topia!

• MrBubblegum likes this

#4 Paradoc

Paradoc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:41 AM

Thanx coorsmikey. That’s encouraging. *How do I know when my first flush is done flushing?
Next question; If I pick all those I see now, What timeframes need to be observed before dunking for another flush?
Should I wait until *nothing happens for a day or 3 to ReHydrate my cakes OR is what I’ve got popping up just going to stop?
AND..Do I need to re clean or ready e sterilize my perlite? They’ve been in there for 2+ weeks, now and, as mentioned, great conditions but the super white perlite looks dull...I think I may have studied up a bit too much...although I have stayed with a single method.
As mentioned, I seek this “real world” knowledge because just reading gets one only so far.
You rock. I also appreciate your help whilst searching for “what to do”...seems I’m now able to ask questions with pix
Thanx P~

#5 Paradoc

Paradoc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 10:44 AM

Thanx, roc, I am super glad to be here...
Having read through anything I could find here, I know I’m in good company.
And at some point, hope to return the favor.
Pay it Forward...
  • roc likes this

#6 2Ape2

2Ape2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 24 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:21 PM

I'm interested in hearing what the weight is of your first harvest of one cake.  I ordered spores today from one of the sponsors so I'm getting close to jumping in.  Did you go with the PF tek or another approach?   I'd have 100 more questions but I'll stop there.  

Based on all the reading I've done you look good there.  Like coorsmikey said, that is all spores.  

#7 Paradoc

Paradoc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:42 PM

Heya 2ape...
If I were smarter I would have noticed how much came out of a single cake.
I ordered 12 ready-to-fo 1/2 pint jars-of which aI used 10
4 of these..GT-Overdoing it using all 10cc’s of spores.
6 were B+-much batter results. All went into FC days apart.
The First pickings were some 40 grams accumulated from all 10, then at least 80 more...and then more. All wet weights.
I did follow PF Tek in a TubInTub with air pump & aquarium heater underneath soaked Perlite above.
As a beginner, I am getting results, but am patiently learning more each day.

Not really sure if there’s a direct answer to your question, though. There are many variables as I’ve observed.
Never occurred to me to focus on a single class are as I’m trying to get familiar with what is-and is not “normal”
I do hope that helps a bit.

#8 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 April 2020 - 03:50 PM

FYI, PF cakes are super easy to DIY. I can do them in my sleep.

• roc likes this

#9 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,625 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 April 2020 - 04:55 AM

Thanx coorsmikey. That’s encouraging. *How do I know when my first flush is done flushing?
Next question; If I pick all those I see now, What timeframes need to be observed before dunking for another flush?
Should I wait until *nothing happens for a day or 3 to ReHydrate my cakes OR is what I’ve got popping up just going to stop?
AND..Do I need to re clean or ready e sterilize my perlite? They’ve been in there for 2+ weeks, now and, as mentioned, great conditions but the super white perlite looks dull...I think I may have studied up a bit too much...although I have stayed with a single method.

Hi Paradoc,

There's not a precise moment when your flush is done.  You have a lot of choice in the matter.  For best potency by weight, you want to pick your mushrooms right around the time the veil is tearing away from the cap.  The mushrooms won't do this simultaneously, though, so I like to pick a few at a time over the course of a couple of days and then when the fireworks are pretty much over I'll pick the cakes clean and go right for the dunk.

The perlite holds up pretty well, especially if you put some salt in the water you use to hydrate it.  Between projects, it's a good idea to clean out the tub and bake the perlite well in the oven to sterilize it.  Actually, you can probably do this every couple of projects if you're using the salt water and it's relatively clean in there.

#10 Paradoc

Paradoc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

Sidestreet Thans so much for that “overview” advice...There’s no set time* Had I heard the remark about “As soon as the fireworks are over, pick’em clean and REdunk”...That’s precisely what I’ve been needing to hear(read) since I began..
Then again, it’s why I’m here. As a scientist at heart, I followed all the facts to minimize The Variables-always.
But reality is always a variable. One I had no idea about until recently.
And Thanx. A lot.
Peace.
P~

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!