133 replies to this topic

#1 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:03 PM

Canadian government just banned 1,500 types of semi automatic rifles today.

Not really sure how I feel about this. I have questioned the idea that we need them. You can still buy a range of guns.The announcement seems like a surprise for some reason even though they have been talking about new gun legislation as a mandate. We did just have a mass shooting so that usually gets the fire burning for anti gun laws

I will likely have to fork one over to the feds, so not to happy about that part of for sure.

Edited by flashingrooster, 01 May 2020 - 08:07 PM.

#2 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{{{ + }}}}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 1,045 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:33 PM

The one that was stolen this weekend?

• Myc, Arathu, Alder Logs and 2 others like this

#3 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 1,187 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 08:44 PM

Have you all noticed the city's with the strictness gun control have The Most gun violence .hummm...............well duh !

The brilliant lefty politicians took guns away from law abiding citizens so the criminals who ALL keep there guns know there victims are helpless .  geniuses.

Here were I live almost everyone has a gun..... gun violence is  Very Rare hummm...   ...hummm  ..

Just  Say'n   remember lefty sheepal,  ... AN IMPORTANT REMINDER  For You .....before the MSNBC propaganda puts your feeble brains to sleep .

The first  thing Hitler and Stalin did was take away all of the guns from law abiding citizens ...then they burned the books .  then they killed the  Handicap then the Jews .Christians  and so on . just maybe the laws we already have are enough and just need to be enforced and leave the  law abiding citizens guns alone .

poor Canadians ............

The point of  our  Second Amendment was so  citizens could protect themselves from An Over Zelious  Government , oh and criminals .

THESE ARE JUST MY CRAZY OPINIONS

Sorry....... if.... i offended you . 

oh if i did Offend You please read again a few times .

Edited by bezevo, 01 May 2020 - 08:45 PM.

• Coopdog, Arathu, Alder Logs and 4 others like this

#4 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 May 2020 - 09:46 PM

I'm all about the 2nd amendment. I have weapons here at home for self defense in case someone decides they want to get shot. I also take my sidearm with me when I leave the county for any reason just in case I need it.

I'm not so sure about high capacity magazines and the lack of mental health background checks. High capacity magazines are fun, but for someone wanting to kill a few people quickly the job becomes much easier. And on the other side, defending yourself against a mob with a high capacity magazine would be highly beneficial. I think mental health plays a significant part in owning a weapon. I don't want some half cocked jackass with a high capacity magazine, or weapon for that matter threatening me because I accidentally did something wrong - key word is accidentally. Then I think who the hell is going to test peoples mental health? How do we know he/she isn't going to be bought off for declining a permit to a certain someone? We have the good ole' boy system down here and law is just a 3 letter word. So testing in certain parts could turn into a shit storm and the repercussions wouldn't be good. Like I said I'm not sure. It's been something I've wrestled with for a while.

I'll be watching what Canada does, but it's nothing like what the United States would do. 

• Coopdog and ilikethings like this

#5 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:01 PM

You can bet the powers that be down here are watching what Canada does right now too.

#6 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 May 2020 - 11:37 PM

Hear it right from the horses ass.

[Direct Link]

More to come as legislation is passed but as of now it is illegal to do anything with it other than store it safely in a gun cabinet.

Dang it that was my apocalypse gun

To bad it just got stolen two seconds ago

Edited by flashingrooster, 01 May 2020 - 11:49 PM.

• TVCasualty and Alder Logs like this

#7 Nicked

Nicked

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 296 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:55 AM

The world would be a much better place without guns... never been a fan of them and never will. 

• newmoon likes this

#8 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,307 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:37 AM

I have quite a few guns. But not a hand gun or an assault rifle.  Why do I need one?  The ones I have serve all the purposes I need.  If I need protection, there is no one going to take a chance that a 12 ga shotgun or a model 94 Winchester pointing at them is loaded or not.

I hear both sides of the story and I try to not take sides.  I love target shooting as well.  Skeets with my shotguns, targets with my rifles and game with all.  Why all the hype about exotic guns when they all really do the same thing with lethal force?

I would never hunt with the types that are being banned.  They were strictly made for killing people.  Mind you there are nutbars out there that want to do only that.  But that's another story.  Think mental illness.

And don't be calling me a "Lib".  There is no room here for political stereotyping.  These are common sense laws.  As long as they don't get too horney, like Alan Rock did, and force everyone to register their guns.  Geeze!!

• Juthro likes this

#9 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:02 AM

"Assault " is a media conjured term to make a scary looking gun sound positively evil.

Remember my friend. The gun is the evil problem. It kills people.

Your honor, I was just standing there holding my rifle and it just began shooting people, all on it's own. It's an evil weapon,.
People would totally not try to stab or club anything to death if all guns disappeared. Guns MADE me do it.

Yes yes, spoons make people fat and pens and pencils make me misspell words too.
  • Coopdog, Arathu, Tenderfoot and 2 others like this

#10 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{{{ + }}}}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 1,045 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:04 AM

In the US assault rifles are highly regulated under the National Firearms Act first enacted in 1934 and amended in 1968 and 1986, respectively.  It is illegal for any private citizen to own one manufactured after 1986. 

It is legal to own an AR15, however.  AR=ArmaLite, not assault rifle.  It was Arma Lite's model number. These guns function the same as other semi-automatic rifles, but with "cosmetic" upgrades. 

It becomes a slippery slope when one group of people decides who can and cannot own guns. 

• Coopdog and Juthro like this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:01 AM

It comes down to which people in particular are allowed certain powers.  To cite George Carlin, it's just trending to another big club that you won't be in.   I have always been a supporter of any forms of disarmament, so long as it's multilateral.  I think the citizens should disarm just after all the governments do.

• Arathu, darci, Jrotten and 1 other like this

#12 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:06 AM

Trudeau pointed out that nobody needs an AR-15 to hunt deer. Well no shit, and if it's chambered for .223 it's illegal to use one to hunt deer (at least in the U.S.) because it's under-powered to the degree that hunting large game like deer with it is basically cruelty to animals. It's a round designed for a specific military purpose, which is actually more about laying down high-volume suppression fire (it's light as far as rifle ammo goes) and wounding as many enemy soldiers as possible more so than killing them.

There seems to be plenty of time thanks to the "amnesty" period to save up enough money to buy a new window or front door and maybe a cheap gun safe that's not too hard to bust open so that a plausible break-in can be staged to help make the awfully convenient and probably about-to-be-common claim of having one's rifle(s) stolen work as a ploy to keep them.

Also, one of the ways Canadians can dispense with their rifles according to this insanity is by exporting them to where they're still legal. Guess where that will be?

It looks to me like it's much more difficult to be able to acquire a firearm without any traceable paperwork in Canada than in the U.S., so even if the U.S. government tried something similar it would be much more difficult to enforce since there would be untold millions of rifles floating around that aren't registered anywhere. But I don't think that that will ever happen in the U.S..

For whatever it's worth, much of the rest of the world is utterly baffled by the fact that armed militia groups are allowed to occupy State Capitol buildings in the United States. It makes more sense once they understand that it's tolerated because the cutting edge of social control has the technology and infrastructure in place to render such gestures moot as far as presenting any kind of threat to the status quo in concerned. So they're being allowed to swing their proverbial dicks around because they are not a credible threat to anyone but their fellow serfs (we're not even peasants anymore), who as we can see from the official pandemic response are considered by our Lords to be completely expendable. Well-armed serfs are still serfs, and dividing the serfs against each other ensures we all remain serfs.

• Coopdog, Jrotten and GORF like this

#13 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 11:26 AM

What I don't understand is how in the US you can just walk around in public with your weapon down the bar street, or show up to the protest with your weapon. It makes me really uncomfortable that when you show up to the state capital for to protest the muslim ban, there has to be a counter protest full of gun toting white men 50 yards away.

I think those people who are taking guns to the protest are really out of touch. Alot of the time it seems like the police are less harsh on these protestors when shit hits the fan than the unarmed ones. What gives?

I don't know if this is a national or state thing but I think that its just not right to make public institution  allow people to carry guns around, especially schools and universities or jam packed bar streets.

If anyone knows why we should reasonably have assault weapons in particular I'd like to hear it. Most arguments for allowing them are the 'slippery slop' idea and the guns don't kill people idea. Dont get me wrong. Tenderfoot, I am talking to you in particular. I agree that not allowing a group of people to have guns can be damaging, but we already do that with felons correct? So why is this instance of making assault weapons banned but still allowing these people to have other types of guns, semi auto from before 1984 so problematic?

#14 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:14 PM

I grew up in a place where every pick up truck had a gun rack in the back windshield and it had a rifle in it.  And that's one of the major urban centers in the country and the world.  I'm not in any way intimidated by weapons unless they are pointed at me.  Police have done that 6:1 more than any civilian wanting to do me harm when I was neither armed nor committing crimes.  When they ban guns from the government I'll be happy to agree to gun bans.  As long as there are people willing to put me in a cage for anything I may discuss here, and kill me if I refuse to be caged, it seems entirely sensible that people be able to be armed and to carry those weapons where ever they might be needed.

Edited by Jrotten, 02 May 2020 - 12:14 PM.

• Coopdog, Alder Logs, Moonless and 1 other like this

#15 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:24 PM

I was looking at exporting last night. Seems like it could be quite the pain in the ass considering the restrictions we now face. Some of the guys on message boards were talking about export permits that are a few thousand dollar and can take 6-8 months to process. To me this would make the proposition of selling it basically net zero and would be more hassle than most people would be willing to go though. If it was a rare gun it would be a different story. When Jack can just go to a gun store in America and buy it for likely a cheaper price I don't see why he would bother with me.

It sure doesn't feel democratic I can tell you that. Place an instant ban on these rifle's limiting our ability to sell them legally. And then write the laws later? I don't like that part at all, I am no political expert but one would think this should have been passed through the house first were it would be open for discussion. I am trying to understand the rational for that.

In the US assault rifles are highly regulated under the National Firearms Act first enacted in 1934 and amended in 1968 and 1986, respectively.  It is illegal for any private citizen to own one manufactured after 1986. 

It is legal to own an AR15, however.  AR=ArmaLite, not assault rifle.  It was Arma Lite's model number. These guns function the same as other semi-automatic rifles, but with "cosmetic" upgrades. 

It becomes a slippery slope when one group of people decides who can and cannot own guns. 

We had such legislation as well. You couldn't own and AR-15 or an AK-47. But you could own one of the thousands of variants of those design types. The gun classification has been a gong show

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:27 PM

What I don't understand is how in the US you can just walk around in public with your weapon down the bar street, or show up to the protest with your weapon. It makes me really uncomfortable that when you show up to the state capital for to protest the muslim ban, there has to be a counter protest full of gun toting white men 50 yards away.

It's allowed and encouraged (by some) because it's not really a threat to the government, just the serfs. And the more we are kept intimidated and divided, the more secure the status quo is.

If anyone is under the impression that governments exist to protect (or that they even give a shit at all about) regular Citizens then the pandemic response (economic as well as medical) ought put that illusion to bed once and for all.

I don't care about the hardware. I'm much more concerned about the mindset and beliefs being cultivated among such a large segment of the population.

Those that can make you believe in absurdities can make you commit atrocities -Voltaire

#17 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:29 PM

It comes down to which people in particular are allowed certain powers.  To cite George Carlin, it's just trending to another big club that you won't be in.   I have always been a supporter of any forms of disarmament, so long as it's multilateral.  I think the citizens should disarm just after all the governments do.

It's really the only justification one can reasonably come up with for owning such weapons. I was talking to my friend about it last night and admitted It really only had one practical application outside of target shooting.

If the shit ever completely hit the fan, like aliens invading or the zombie apocalypse. Or an all out civil war.... You know perfectly normal reasons

Just not sure I buy the justification. If someone could show some credible evidence that our gun violence problem will be reduced by making semi automatic rifles illegal I would be more than happy to give up my rifle. It feels like a weak argument, more like well we have to do something!

Edited by flashingrooster, 02 May 2020 - 12:42 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,640 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 12:45 PM

Your honor, I was just standing there holding my rifle and it just began shooting people, all on it's own. It's an evil weapon,.
People would totally not try to stab or club anything to death if all guns disappeared. Guns MADE me do it.

That will actually become a viable defense if you ever end up owning a malfunctioning sentry-bot.

"I blame the firmware upgrade! It was obviously still in beta!"

The necessary tech is available to the consumer market now, so someone can already put something like this together with currently-available components if they have the budget:

p02x54fw.jpg

I was looking at exporting last night. Seems like it could be quite the pain in the ass considering the restrictions we now face. Some of the guys on message boards were talking about export permits that are a few thousand dollar and can take 6-8 months to process. To me this would make the proposition of selling it basically net zero and would be more hassle than most people would be willing to go though.

Well then send it/them to me, one part at a time mixed up in a box of assorted metal stuff, like car parts. I'll pay fair market rate and postage! And of course my lawyer tells me that I have to clearly state that I am just kidding.

:wink:

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#19 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:01 PM

Can I shamelessly plug Justin Amash for POTUS while we're here?  Ok, good.  Thank you  :)

#20 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,887 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:05 PM

Makes you wonder if there are any laws against weapon automation yet? I remember that video of that kid shooting a handgun with his drone. There was some concern when that video came out about the legality of it

Edited by flashingrooster, 02 May 2020 - 01:06 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!