133 replies to this topic

#21 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:08 PM

I grew up in a place where every pick up truck had a gun rack in the back windshield and it had a rifle in it.  And that's one of the major urban centers in the country and the world.  I'm not in any way intimidated by weapons unless they are pointed at me.  Police have done that 6:1 more than any civilian wanting to do me harm when I was neither armed nor committing crimes.  When they ban guns from the government I'll be happy to agree to gun bans.  As long as there are people willing to put me in a cage for anything I may discuss here, and kill me if I refuse to be caged, it seems entirely sensible that people be able to be armed and to carry those weapons where ever they might be needed.

I grew up in countries where to police weren't armed at the belt, and the majority of them didn't carry around battons or tasers even. When I was living in the US, a country that is famous for the amount of guns they have and the high amount of gun crime, I was totally culture shocked to see how many people carried around guns especially in the rich white suburban neighborhoods where crime is much less out in the open. You're perspective was cool to learn because guns it seems your more comfortable with guns.

TV-

"It's allowed and encouraged (by some) because it's not really a threat to the government, just the serfs. And the more we are kept intimidated and divided, the more secure the status quo is."

In reply to both yall, I get much more uncomfortable when counter protesters are with guns then just people walking down the street.

• Jrotten likes this

#22 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,638 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:15 PM

Just wait 'til people start making drone parts out of nitrocellulose (or similar compounds).

Plastic that undergoes ...let's just say "very enthusiastic exothermic reactions" allows you to save a lot of weight with a weaponized drone by making the structural components of the drone itself out of it.

#23 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:19 PM

The US has higher gun crime because the crooks can arm up just as well as anyone. You come up to me in a parking lot with a switchblade knife and you will not get my wallet. I'll laugh at you as I pull out a handgun.

If you want my wallet and I carry a gun you NEED a gun too if you want a chance of getting it.

Edited by GORF, 02 May 2020 - 01:21 PM.

• Coopdog likes this

#24 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:22 PM

As far as Canadians exporting to the US, or should it be called, "smuggling," the forces who operate such markets now might see it as an unwanted competition, and they won't like competition.  And if those operators are already paying all the proper bribes, then it will be state forces doing any enforcement.

On edit: One might assume the bribes are being distributed on both sides of the line, and any bought back or confiscated weapons will wind up with some part of the dominant operators (though maybe some stock footage of weapons being destroyed will be aired), who will quite likely be the buyers, back (and one can assume, bargain prices), behind the curtain, for this product which they can then sell internationally, anywhere their masters allow.  But then, we're talking corruption, and heck, that's the main issue (even if unspoken) in today's world, wherever you look.

Edited by Alder Logs, 02 May 2020 - 01:40 PM.

• Coopdog, Jrotten and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#25 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,486 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 01:36 PM

I grew up in countries where to police weren't armed at the belt, and the majority of them didn't carry around battons or tasers even. When I was living in the US, a country that is famous for the amount of guns they have and the high amount of gun crime, I was totally culture shocked to see how many people carried around guns especially in the rich white suburban neighborhoods where crime is much less out in the open. You're perspective was cool to learn because guns it seems your more comfortable with guns.

If you go to some countries in the middle east everyone carries bladed weapons.  They are some of the oldest cultures on earth, and people carry weapons on display.  I won't lie, a sword worries me much more than any firearm not pointed at me LOL!  It's culture and it's acclimation.  Fire arms are similar. 

To be honest the phrases "gun crime" and "gun violence" I find to be products of an agenda.  They are just crime and violence. In places with fewer guns they have higher rates of other types of violence and crime.  That's people being people.  Sure a gun is efficient, but so is gasoline.  In Japan now they limit the sale of gasoline.  It doesn't make sense to me and seems unnecessarily and unproductively reactionary   

Then there is the fact that a lot of "gun crime" in America is more about disenfranchisement than felonious behavior.  If you can disenfranchise people from their rights, from legal status, you can create "morally justified" separation by class, and from there you can do things like justify creating entire industries focused on mass incarceration.  You can create entire populations of "illegals" and use them as a pseudo-slave class.

To my mind, the problem is not firearms.  Firearms are not a problem at all.  A concerted effort to distort, control, incite fear, and create division among the serfs is the problem.  And to be honest that "problem" is more of a goal for the people that traffic in power.

• Alder Logs, ElPirana, FLASHINGROOSTER and 1 other like this

#26 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,638 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:13 PM

In reply to both yall, I get much more uncomfortable when counter protesters are with guns then just people walking down the street.

That's what they are counting on, and why it's being implicitly or (in the case of the President's statements) explicitly endorsed.

I think the ideal reaction to these armed dog and pony shows is a mix of anger and pity. Anger towards their intent to intimidate. Pity towards how easy they are to manipulate into being used as political pawns thanks to what sure looks like the exploitation of the insecurities of people who are scared of change because they perceive many current cultural trends as an ongoing and relentless erosion of their own influence and privilege (much of which was only an illusion anyway). The people occupying State Capitol buildings with rifles at the moment are not genuine protesters who are part of a legitimate grassroots/popular movement or anything like that, nor do they represent one. Their presence is the result of a propaganda campaign of disinformation and an intent to cause tension and division.

It's political theater, same as it ever was. A very old form of it, too; it's an example of a variant of the classic "bread and circuses" approach to keeping a population docile and under control, and historically whenever a ruling class runs out of bread it tends to crank-up more circuses. Here, "circuses" means anything being promoted in order to distract the masses from what's going on in contexts that matter. The people who are fucking us and the planet over are not concerned about a few people with some under-powered rifles.

Perhaps there are other ways to inspire respect for We the People Who Are Not Goddamned Serfs? Like a mass-movement to raise the marginal tax rate on the highest incomes back to what it was in 1980 just before Reagan was elected, for example. Now THAT scares the shit out of them for real. It should be an easy sell since we've had plenty of time to see that wealth does not "trickle down." Quite the contrary; it just made wealth trickle up even faster.

I get the impression that if we blow our chance to fix this mess we won't get another, and such a failure will seal the deal for a total collapse of civilization by 2035 at the latest.

Edited by TVCasualty, 02 May 2020 - 03:15 PM.

• Alder Logs likes this

#27 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 02:54 PM

I can't remember who said it, but it was put thusly: "Tricke Down, Flood Up."

When does President Trump, to whom Obama delivered all the increased presidential powers without even a hitch, start to employ a domestic drone kill list?  When does DARPA pull out more of its tricks, if of a mechanical more than a biological nature this time?

#28 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,638 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:22 PM

post-102948-0-78222200-1588450694.jpeg

FYI: Thermal imagers don't work for shit in rain or fog. Living in a wet climate has numerous often-underappreciated advantages.

Reb

Attached Thumbnails

• trickledown.jpeg

#29 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 03:35 PM

Living in a wet climate has numerous often-underappreciated advantages.

Wahl, taday it'z comin’ down lahk a cow pissin’ on a flat rock!

• Oneyedraven likes this

#30 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,638 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

No drone strikes at your place today, then. :thumbs_up:

• Oneyedraven likes this

#31 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,703 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 05:11 PM

Can't spend your relief check on guns?

Solar system. Battery charge controller. Battery bank for energy storage. And a 50Kv Tesla coil as a load bank (use utility-grade, oil immersed, transformers).

Voila! You have a non-discriminate security system while it's armed and energized. This type of coil also plays havoc on sensitive electronic control circuits - like those required for controlling drones - and it can be concentrated and "aimed". While not very effective for "out and about" travel..........you can sleep peacefully during the night knowing that anything that moves through the energized field will be turned to plasma and carbon residue. Easier to sweep-up ashes than to fight "enemies".

And it's a handy "social distancing" assurance mechanism. ......Shit. There may be a market for this type of thing in our brave new world. Tesla suits with a 6-foot coronal arc discharge potential.

• Arathu, Tenderfoot, Juthro and 1 other like this

#32 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 06:23 PM

Could I hook that up to an electric fence to keep Soliver at bay?  I don't want him Dali-ing around here.   It's surreal enough as it is already.

Edited by Alder Logs, 02 May 2020 - 06:25 PM.

#33 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,399 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 07:39 PM

still have to watch out for Soliver

pharmeredit: dammit, you beat me to it  :)

Edited by pharmer, 02 May 2020 - 07:39 PM.

#34 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:06 PM

still have to watch out for Soliver

pharmeredit: dammit, you beat me to it  :)

I guess you could say I have skin in the game (if not a great deal of meat).

Edited by Alder Logs, 02 May 2020 - 08:07 PM.

#35 GORF

GORF

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 570 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:17 PM

Pharmer, you old curmudgeon. How's the pandemic been treating you?

#36 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:38 PM

Just not sure I buy the justification. If someone could show some credible evidence that our gun violence problem will be reduced by making semi automatic rifles illegal I would be more than happy to give up my rifle. It feels like a weak argument, more like well we have to do something!

If only single shot bolt action rifles were allowed the Las Vegas shooting would have turned out much different. I'm not saying they couldn't smuggle them in somehow, but you didn't mention it. 58 dead and over 400 wounded. Then from the craziness another 400 were injured. 

#37 Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

{{{{{{{ + }}}}}}}

• OG VIP
  • 1,045 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 08:47 PM

If anyone knows why we should reasonably have assault weapons in particular I'd like to hear it. Most arguments for allowing them are the 'slippery slop' idea and the guns don't kill people idea. Dont get me wrong. Tenderfoot, I am talking to you in particular. I agree that not allowing a group of people to have guns can be damaging, but we already do that with felons correct? So why is this instance of making assault weapons banned but still allowing these people to have other types of guns, semi auto from before 1984 so problematic?

https://ucr.fbi.gov/...ata-table-8.xls

If the FBI does anything well, besides subverting our Republic, it is compiling statistics!  Please see above for some perspective. 

Again, a semi-automatic rifle is not an assault weapon by definition.  No more than a fork or a nail clippers unless used for such a purpose. 

https://legalbeagle....arm-rights.html

There are exceptions to the rule, but "punishing" a convicted felon is much different than an innocent citizen. 

In the USA we are supposed to have "due process" and these red flag laws are anything but.  For that reason alone they are bad news imo. 

You will not see anyone open carrying at schools/universities as it is illegal.  It is also why there are shootings at these places.  Law abiding citizens with guns are not the problem.  To note, the 1920s saw the worst mass killing in an American school.  The 1920s and 30s, I believe, had the most mass shootings/casualties of any other time period in this country. 

#38 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,553 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 09:12 PM

For the record, the only difference between a convicted felon and 99.9% of us here, is that the convicted felon has already paid for his crimes where we haven't.  Yet they are still the one who has to keep paying.  Its just a way of making large groups of citizens second class.

• roscoe and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#39 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 916 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 May 2020 - 10:58 PM

Tenderfoot I checked out the sources you sent as well as tried to look some up on quack quack go but I'm honestly having a hard time finding sources about shooting so I'll reference your sources. From the FBI webpage, guns are the most popular weapon of choice for murders in the united state. The amount of net murders as well as gun murders have gone up around 10% every year from 2014-2017 with 2018 being a year of gun murder decline. The gun of choice in murders is mostly hand guns with a range of 60-70%, while unspecified handgun is next with abour 20-30% and shotguns, rifles are used like 2-5% of the time.

Interpretation of this data is important too. I understand how handguns and unspecified guns are the main murder weapons of guns in America but I'm not so certain about the statistic of homocide as a good indicator. Someone was talking about how gun violence as a political term and I'm so agreeing with that right now. I use the word gun violence and think of terrorism mainly, while gun violence is really all violence that is with guns. It kinda shows my preconceived notion that gun violence is terrorism.

Anyways I don't want to shift the conversation too much but wouldn't and assault rifle ban make poorly planed terrorist attacks, like many school shootings, less effective and perhaps make them less deadly? Like TV said, the AR-15 is not a hunting weapon, the only use for it is for target practice and self defense, why an AR 15 so important to have freedom to have?

#40 Spark

Spark

OG

• Free Member
  • 874 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 12:03 AM

They were guns stolen from their government.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!