• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 05:55 PM

I pickled eggs for the first time recently.

I love them.

Take a bunch of hardboiled eggs, put them in a half gallon jar (you can use them for food too you know)

Throw a tbsp of mustard seeds, and some whey, and some salt, maybe a tablespoon

Cover with a lid

Let sit out at room temp, 3-4 days, then move to the fridge

Their delicious! Great snack food

But more exciting, is the white of the egg takes on a paneer cheese flavor

And, whats more, is that it can be fried, and added to the top of a dahl type dish, for a non-dairy paneer option

I'm pretty stoked on this discovery.

• Coopdog, Moonless and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,014 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:29 PM

I have only ever had hard boiled eggs that were pickled with vinegar, but I would be willing to try your way.  Thanks for sharing it :)

Here is a recipe that a relative turned me onto, for Cajun spiced pickled eggs.  They go really good with home brewed beer  :)

Ingredients:

6-8 Eggs, depending on size
1/2 cup* Water
1/2 cup* Distilled White Vinegar
1 Tablespoon Powdered Crab Boil (like Zatarain's)
1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes

Method:

Clean and sterilize a pint jar, lid and ring.

Boil your eggs. Peel them and place them in a strainer to cool down. If you pickle them while they are still hot, they tend to stick together in the jar. Do not refrigerate them, though. You just want them to come down to a temperature that is comfortable to work with. 

*Because egg sizes vary, you'll need to do a test run to see how much liquid you will need to fill your jar properly. Once the eggs are cooled down, place them into your jar. Fill the jar, with the eggs in it, to within 1/2 inch of the rim (be sure the eggs are covered completely) with fresh water. Pour out the water into a measuring cup to see exactly what amount of water/vinegar you will need. Mine usually takes right around 1 cup. You will want a 50/50 ratio of vinegar to water.

Keep the eggs in the jar and add the crab boil and crushed red pepper flakes. 

Mix the proper amounts of vinegar and water in a non-reactive (enameled or steel) saucepan, and bring to a boil. Meanwhile, heat up the lid and ring by boiling them in water, in a separate pot, for 5 minutes.

Carefully pour the vinegar/water mixture over the eggs and hand tighten the hot lid and ring to the jar. (Please don't burn yourself.) The seasonings will mix throughout the jar as you pour the liquid. Let the eggs rest on the counter, undisturbed, to cool and seal. The jar will make a POP sound when it seals. Once cooled, invert the jar and swirl it a bit to make sure the spices mix around evenly.

After a week or so, the eggs are ready to eat.  ~ They tell me that no refrigeration is required... but you might want to pop them in the fridge, just to be on the safe side.

• Coopdog likes this

#3 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,929 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

I am making red cabbage saurkraut, and pickles and celery today. I was going to do pickled beets and eggs as well, so this is right on time!

• Juthro, FLASHINGROOSTER, Severian and 1 other like this

#4 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:05 PM

Vinegar pickles are nice; and quick-fridge pickles are convienient; but the live-lacto method I find so much more satisfying.

Pickle it! Beets are some of my favorite. Kvass is my go to.

Edited by Severian, 03 May 2020 - 08:07 PM.

• Coopdog and CatsAndBats like this

#5 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 03 May 2020 - 08:57 PM

Would I add water to the half gallon jar of hardboiled eggs? Or just put them in and cover with Mustard Seed and Whey etc? Is it just the moisture in the eggs that causes the fermentation? 

• Juthro and Moonless like this

#6 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 636 posts

Posted 03 May 2020 - 10:13 PM

See I can’t tell if your being sarcastic or not. I’m trepidatious to answer. Hahahaha.

My girl just made a batch. And strangely enough were doing kraut next. Pickled stuff is good for the gut. And your gut runs your life.

Edited by Choices, 03 May 2020 - 10:15 PM.

• coorsmikey and Coopdog like this

#7 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 07:48 AM

Would I add water to the half gallon jar of hardboiled eggs? Or just put them in and cover with Mustard Seed and Whey etc? Is it just the moisture in the eggs that causes the fermentation? 

I realize I didn't mention "peel the eggs'"

Seemed like an obvious step to me but realize It might not have been all that obvious

Add eggs to Jar,

Add mustard seed (or whatever other spices you so feel inspired)

Add whey, and salt

It's the whey that kickstarts the fermentation- though I imagine this can be done with leftover brine from other pickling projects

Possibly could be done with just salt as well, but I've yet to test this. From my recollection it's a good idea to use whey or a starter when pickling anything but veggies.

• coorsmikey and Coopdog like this

#8 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 2,929 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 02:14 AM

Good info Severian. Thank you for that. 

#9 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

See I can’t tell if your being sarcastic or not. I’m trepidatious to answer. Hahahaha.

My girl just made a batch. And strangely enough were doing kraut next. Pickled stuff is good for the gut. And your gut runs your life.

Ha I was asking seriously. I was think of Whey as a protein powder rather than a liquid and scratching my head wondering how this would work.

I also was so concerned about the eggs being submersed that I totally missed the thought of peeling the shells. I think I get it now though.

• Choices likes this

#10 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,901 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 10:41 AM

I had to search that whey myself last night

I have only ever done fermentation with water and salt, and or vinegar

There was a video where a lady took some plain yogourt. Placed it in a towel and suspended it over a glass container. They whey would drip out the bottom. The solid's become a cheese like substance that you can eat, plus your new liquid whey.

Those egg's sound really good I want to try it myself. There was a recipe I noticed they put cumin and chili flakes in it sounded right up my alley

#11 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:20 PM

I had to search that whey myself last night

I have only ever done fermentation with water and salt, and or vinegar

There was a video where a lady took some plain yogourt. Placed it in a towel and suspended it over a glass container. They whey would drip out the bottom. The solid's become a cheese like substance that you can eat, plus your new liquid whey.

Those egg's sound really good I want to try it myself. There was a recipe I noticed they put cumin and chili flakes in it sounded right up my alley

Cumin, Chili Flakes, Mustard seeds- black pepper and turmeric-- Pretty much any curry spices are my go to when pickling any vegetables.

I was think of Whey as a protein powder rather than a liquid and scratching my head wondering how this would work.

I also was so concerned about the eggs being submersed that I totally missed the thought of peeling the shells. I think I get it now though.

I'm glad you pointed this out- I definitely didn't think twice about that. 

Whey is the leftover liquid from allowing milk to separate- Though I would definitely not recommend using any 'store-bought' milk for this purpose- i would be suprised if that would work, given that the pasteurization process destroys any of the beneficial microbes-  

If you can, (And I highly highly recommend it) find a good local source of raw milk. It's incredible to me that it's possible to use the same word and refer to the factory feedlot product, and the fresh, alive, milk coming straight out of an animal with no processing. -  Not only will it allow you to have a high quality source of whey- but it's delicious, and it's super easy to make sour cream, cream cheese; or even butter (if you get enough and it has a high enough fat content that is).  The difference between the two can be easily seen by allowing the "Milk" and the milk to sit in a sealed mason jar at room temperature for a few days.  the store bought pasterurized"Milk" will sour in a terrible way (not whey), while the raw milk will naturally culture and turn into sour cream, and separate from itself and be fucking delicious. 

If anyone appreciates reading on the topic, the best books I'm aware of are "Nourishing Traditions" by sally fallon- a veritable treasure trove of traditional recipes along with the actual, real science behind the nutrition; stripped of all of the politically correct myths and nutrition lies spread by big food companies

And, even more specifically related to fermentation is "The art of fermentation" and "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz.

Edited by Severian, 05 May 2020 - 12:21 PM.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,014 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 May 2020 - 12:38 PM

And, even more specifically related to fermentation is "The art of fermentation" and "Wild Fermentation" by Sandor Katz.

I had the pleasure of meeting Sandor Katz at a fermentation presentation he put on at native wellness center here in Alaska.  He was (and still is) an amazing speaker, and a very cool dude to listen to. 

I highly recommend his book to anyone wanting to ferment their own foods.

#13 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,901 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 05:14 PM

I just did a search for that book and came upon this video

[Direct Link]

Edited by flashingrooster, 06 May 2020 - 05:19 PM.

• Juthro likes this

#14 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:00 PM

Thats good timing! I just picked up 3 gallons of raw milk- Hoping to revive my kefir culture- also making raw cream cheese, and seeing about doing a low-temp yogurt variation.

• Choices likes this

#15 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:53 PM

This is a great thread. I’m fairly new and really haven’t searched around the “kitchen”. But it would Be pretty cool to get a thread going about recipes. Of all different things. If this exists then the egg is on my face.

#16 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 636 posts

Posted 06 May 2020 - 09:54 PM

Thats good timing! I just picked up 3 gallons of raw milk- Hoping to revive my kefir culture- also making raw cream cheese, and seeing about doing a low-temp yogurt variation.

You ever have a conversation with someone arguing tht raw milk is bad for you?

#17 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,471 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 May 2020 - 11:06 PM

This is a great thread. I’m fairly new and really haven’t searched around the “kitchen”. But it would Be pretty cool to get a thread going about recipes. Of all different things. If this exists then the egg is on my face.

Post your favorite egg recipe here. https://mycotopia.ne...m/182-cookbook/
  • Choices likes this

#18 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:41 PM

You ever have a conversation with someone arguing tht raw milk is bad for you?

The closest I've ever come is assuring friends that their fear of milk is unfounded- and that "milk" and Milk are not at all close to being synonymous. 

I can't think of a single person I've introduced raw milk to who hasn't come around and evetually told me "hey you were totally right, and my body likes this stuff!"

#19 Theinvitrowalrus

Theinvitrowalrus

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:42 PM

oooo this is awesome! I love paneer but im not too keen on hard boiked eggs. I have to try this!
  • CatsAndBats likes this

#20 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,194 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2020 - 12:55 PM

Important, ya gotta get the salt percentage correct, or you can get really ill. Plus don't use tap water (municipal), or if you do, bubble the chlorine out.

The salt kills all of the bad bacteria but leaves the lactobacillus strains.

post-147940-0-16925900-1588873872.jpg

See, I don't use my jars exclusively for mushrooms!

I started fermenting hot sauce after reading psybearknot's thread:

https://mycotopia.ne...-3#entry1342405

Attached Thumbnails

• ferment.jpg

• Juthro likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!