24 replies to this topic

#21 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

Thats good timing! I just picked up 3 gallons of raw milk- Hoping to revive my kefir culture- also making raw cream cheese, and seeing about doing a low-temp yogurt variation.

I've had to start making my dog's goat yogurt, due to the lockdown, it's the cheapest probiotic, and goat milk doesn't have lactose.

I get powdered goat milk and make it with a sous vide. 180f to kill off competitors (think ultra-pasteurization, which is a brief pasteurization at a relatively high temp, dairies prolly flash with a higher temp), then I bring it down to 110f, add a culture, let it ride at temp for 5hrs, and voila, goat yogurt (goatgurt?)!

• Severian likes this

#22 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:23 PM

Important, ya gotta get the salt percentage correct, or you can get really ill. Plus don't use tap water (municipal), or if you do, bubble the chlorine out.

The salt kills all of the bad bacteria but leaves the lactobacillus strains.

While true, I don't think it's really such a big deal; in that , in comparison to canning as a preservation method for instance, when a jar of lacto-ferments is bad- it's BAD- there's no way anyone in their right mind could be convinced to eat it- it smells wrong. Whereas Botulism is odorless and tasteless. Lacto-ferments are super forgiving.

Just today I checked on a batch of carrots, found some mold growing on the top, scooped it off in one go- no worries- everything below the brine is still fine.

• FLASHINGROOSTER likes this

#23 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 07 May 2020 - 05:27 PM

Thats good timing! I just picked up 3 gallons of raw milk- Hoping to revive my kefir culture- also making raw cream cheese, and seeing about doing a low-temp yogurt variation.

I've had to start making my dog's goat yogurt, due to the lockdown, it's the cheapest probiotic, and goat milk doesn't have lactose.

I get powdered goat milk and make it with a sous vide. 180f to kill off competitors (think ultra-pasteurization, which is a brief pasteurization at a relatively high temp, dairies prolly flash with a higher temp), then I bring it down to 110f, add a culture, let it ride at temp for 5hrs, and voila, goat yogurt (goatgurt?)!

I bought some goat milk from a farm a few weeks ago that also makes kefir for dogs- They were telling me that they had to battle it out with the supreme court of my state because the rules surrounding the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) ingredients in commerically available dog food did not include raw milk.  And the lobbyists of the big pet food companies have a vested interest in not allowing it- cuz of all the health benefits.

edit: I bet your dog loves you- What kind do you have?

Edited by Severian, 07 May 2020 - 05:27 PM.

• CatsAndBats likes this

#24 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

I'M AGAR RIIIIIIIICK!

• OG VIP
  • 12,193 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 May 2020 - 07:58 PM

I bought some goat milk from a farm a few weeks ago that also makes kefir for dogs- They were telling me that they had to battle it out with the supreme court of my state because the rules surrounding the GRAS (generally recognized as safe) ingredients in commerically available dog food did not include raw milk.  And the lobbyists of the big pet food companies have a vested interest in not allowing it- cuz of all the health benefits.

edit: I bet your dog loves you- What kind do you have?

This kind:

post-147940-0-78258800-1588899108.jpg

And Alderlogs (if you're reading this), so help me Goddess, if you trash pit bulls again, I'm going up to the Yukon or wherever you're from and pulling your chair out from underneath you as you go to sit in it! This dog is an ANGEL and lives with 3 cats (well 4 if you include me :biggrin:) that she's never hurt, despite them all being assholes to her.

Back on subject, I broke down and bought the "fancy" lids that have the vacuum port so that I can pull all of the extra air out. It stops mold from growing, it also came with the glass weights, which aren't that effective, you can see it leaned over inside the jar.

Attached Thumbnails

• emmers.jpg

Edited by CatsAndBats, 07 May 2020 - 07:59 PM.

#25 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,892 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:03 PM

So I did the taste test for those lacto fermented egg's I made the other day. I did like them, I think the best difference was the fact that they maintain the softness of a hard boiled egg. The batch I made with malt vinegar seemed to give a slight rubbery outer texture that was less appealing. Both had great taste in my opinion.

I used white onion's instead of green but now doubting that choice as a good substitute. I think green onion or chives is worth getting a hold of for the lacto fermented version

• Severian likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!