• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Xyon1

Xyon1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 03:09 PM

Just make sure you label the syringe "sloppy seconds".

For reuse at a later/different time/date?

#42 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 633 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:49 PM

Just kidding.

#43 Xyon1

Xyon1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 05:35 PM

Just kidding.

Ahh. Confusion cleared.  ;-)

#44 OldFart1971

OldFart1971

Mycophiliac

• VIP
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 12:04 PM

Wow, Great advice! I just started a LC Karo Syrup- 200ml water with 1 teaspoon syrup. I decided to do this as I wasn't aware that the LC premix I purchased wasn't clear. I didn't strain it :-(

The Brat and I injected 10cc vial into 600 ml LC. I shook the hell out of it the best I could...Brats toothbrush just found new meaning :-)

We inoculated 24052020. I'm hoping for some lovely pictures in about a week!

Thank you for this thread!

V/R

OlfFart1971

• Xyon1 likes this

#45 Xyon1

Xyon1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:02 PM

How do I delete this one?

Edited by Xyon1, 25 May 2020 - 09:05 PM.

#46 Xyon1

Xyon1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:03 PM

Squirt the syringe into a sterile baggie and suck it back up in to the syringe. Repeat a few times and while in the baggie you can massage any stubborn clumps the still remain.

I finally got time to try the baggie method. Thank you for suggesting it.
Unfortunately it didn't go the way I expected and am curious about your (and anyone else's) thoughts.

I did everything in a SAB. Wiping everywhere inside with alcohol. Then wiped all the things that went into the box the same way, and immediately placed them all inside. Hands, arms, jars, baggie, syringe, needle (new and sterilized), and a clean paper towel wet with alcohol just in case, then hands and arms again before going back in. I popped-open the baggie just a bit - enough to get the needle inside - and slowly started injecting the liquid inside. I noticed that the bag wasn't separating from itself too well and visible spores were sticking to the part of the bag not near the bottom where the liquid was pooling, so I stopped and opened it the whole way (the baggie isn't very big...picture attached) and continued to inject the rest inside the bag. I tilted the bag so that the liquid was slightly more isolated, so to speak, in the corner. I drew it back up into the syringe a couple times, but during that, I didn't realize, at first, that the bag was poked from the needle and started to leak (not too much...just a few drops or so). So I quickly finished and drew all the liquid back up and went on to inoculate the couple jars, cleaned up, then called-it-a-day with it.

I'm thinking that I might be better off next time with something other than a plastic baggie, or, in the future for such things, attain a needle with a blunt tip so as to not poke the bag.

What do you think?

Attached Thumbnails

• baggie.jpg

#47 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 7,010 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 09:38 PM

Perhaps you're overthinking it. No need for the glove box and the added steps since your injecting a sterile needle in a sterile baggie. All that extra stuff just make you more clumsy than you may already be with injecting a very sharp needle through a very thin plastic film. it pretty simple really and yes sometimes I poke through the baggie too. You really need to plan or practice you moves before hand to build some muscle memory. Even if you do pull it off that clump is still gonna have clumps broken up, you will not get all one billion spores to separate again but it will break them up enough to more evenly distribute. Use a vial with a syringe stopper if you like, you really only need to eject and suck up the solution a few times through the small needle to break them up. Seriously plan your moves and practice a few dry run a couple of time. It will only build your skills to and precision to inoculate a jar later. Just wait til you stick a full syringe into a vacuum sealed jar unsuspectedly, you will witness the whole syringe disappear before you have time to realize what happened.

#48 Xyon1

Xyon1

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:29 PM

Perhaps you're overthinking it. No need for the glove box and the added steps since your injecting a sterile needle in a sterile baggie. All that extra stuff just make you more clumsy than you may already be with injecting a very sharp needle through a very thin plastic film. it pretty simple really and yes sometimes I poke through the baggie too. You really need to plan or practice you moves before hand to build some muscle memory. Even if you do pull it off that clump is still gonna have clumps broken up, you will not get all one billion spores to separate again but it will break them up enough to more evenly distribute. Use a vial with a syringe stopper if you like, you really only need to eject and suck up the solution a few times through the small needle to break them up. Seriously plan your moves and practice a few dry run a couple of time. It will only build your skills to and precision to inoculate a jar later. Just wait til you stick a full syringe into a vacuum sealed jar unsuspectedly, you will witness the whole syringe disappear before you have time to realize what happened.

Thanks for replying. I appreciate your insight.

Its not that I'm overthinking it. I was operating under the assumption that things should be as clean and sterile as possible. I only explained the details of what I did just in case someone saw something that they thought I should have done differently.

I was a body piercer for a long time and am used to needles and such. Its was just the baggie that caused what I experienced.

I definitely understand the principle of a vacuum sealed jar. Vent first...then the rest.
:-)

I'll have to look into a small jar or something similar. A vial of some sort like you mentioned sounds good.

Is there a site that might have something small like that that you know of, CoorsMikey? Would anyone else know?

Edited by Xyon1, 26 May 2020 - 04:57 PM.

• coorsmikey likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!