• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 12:43 PM

So one positive thing for me about spending all this time at home has been the discovery of fermentation in foods.  I started with the sauerkraut  and it turned out great, the cabbage for the second batch is in the fridge.

Then I tried the sourdough with mixed results, It seemed to be going good but then the bubbles started getting smaller and it seemed off so I chucked it after a failed fried bread taste test

I also started a Kambucha run with the sourdough but I just tossed it yesterday as there was no growth, I think I need a different kind of store bought kambucha to make the scobi grow properly.

Then I started reading up about making wine and cider or beer. So I have some poor man's cheap cider on the go. Bottled 3.5  Litres and going to do another fancy store bought package of 10L later today. Beer is coming and I have been experimenting with cider flavours, going to see what cranberry juice does in there. And another I dumped in sugar to try to make a higher alcohol content drink

And theeeeennnn... Last  night I hung some plain yogourt in cheese cloth over a mason jar and waited a few hours for most of the whey to drip out. Leaving this soft cream cheese like substance. Going to add some salt and pepper with some shallots and spread it on crackers

And finally have to try the lacto fermented eggs as suggested on topia. Going six pickled and six lacto

So yeah, learning about fermentation has been a blast I gotta say. It's been fairly easy, just a few failures that are easily outweighed by success

Got my eye on making some traditional mustard now that I have whey and or sauerkraut juice available

Edited by flashingrooster, 09 May 2020 - 12:44 PM.

• Sidestreet, Ronald Ray Gun, Auxin and 6 others like this

#2 Auxin

Auxin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 90 posts

Posted 09 May 2020 - 02:02 PM

Right on man, lacto-fermenting is great.

When lockdown was looming one of the highest priorities on my shopping list was cabbage because I had no idea if I would be able to buy vegetables in the near future. Fermented cabbage has great shelf life.

Good for the immune system too.

• Juthro, CatsAndBats and flashingrooster like this

#3 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,516 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 May 2020 - 06:47 PM

That's a hell of a list, Rooster :)  But you've forgotten the fermented hot sauce  :cool:

• CatsAndBats and flashingrooster like this

#4 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:18 AM

haha I thought about putting it on that list. I do like a good hot sauce

I am thinking jalapeno's and poblano's

Something like this, as it is my favourite sauce

cholula-green-pepper-hot-sauce-1.gif.jpg

• Ronald Ray Gun, Juthro, CatsAndBats and 1 other like this

#5 CatsAndBats

CatsAndBats

this motherfucker

• OG VIP
  • 12,188 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:54 AM

haha I thought about putting it on that list. I do like a good hot sauce

I am thinking jalapeno's and poblano's

Something like this, as it is my favourite sauce

I work with jalapenos a lot cause I like the green color. Have you visited this thread? https://mycotopia.ne...-3#entry1342405

• Juthro likes this

#6 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 11:30 AM

I do believe I have  :biggrin:  those pictures look familiar. But it was just a skim, I see the OP chopped it all up and then fermented. I have seen it done the other way, blended after fermenting the pepper mixture in the jar.

Anyone have a preference on those methods?

• CatsAndBats likes this

#7 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 07:34 AM

Welcome to the club! Stoked to hear your getting into the ferments. I've noticed that in addition to the expanded palete, my health has definitely improved since beginning to consume lacto-ferments enmasse.

Sourdough can be tricky, especially depending on temperature- I had terrible luck when I was living south of the border. I found that changing the culture to a fresh bowl everyday helped- as is pouring off some of the excess liquid.  Using Rye is helpful as well- though I don't recall why exactly.

• CatsAndBats and flashingrooster like this

#8 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 12:54 PM

Here's some photo's of the complete work. The red sauerkraut from a few weeks back.

Did some cider bottling yesterday. First taste test before bottling places the store bought apple juice batch over the pre packaged cider kit. I may have let the kit ferment to long, they also had an apple flavouring additive that you placed in after fermenting. It smells nice but didn't seem to do much to the flavour. Anyway I should be able to give them a good taste test in about three weeks

Started six traditional pickled eggs with malt vinegar, rosemary and thyme.

As well as six of lacto fermented eggs this morning. Went with the tumeric, cumin, garlic, mustard seed and some diced onion for seasoning

You guy's got the hot sauce bug in my brain so the fermentation of that has begun as well :chucks:

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200511_113103.jpg
  • 20200511_113003.jpg
  • 20200511_112938.jpg

• Ronald Ray Gun and Juthro like this

#9 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:22 PM

those photos look delicious!

Are you into Agar at all Flashing rooster? I've been toying with the idea of attempting to put my sourdough starter on Agar to see if it would colonize.

Would Lactobacillus colonize agar as well? My understanding is that it would? because it's a living bacteria, and the sugars would feed it just like any contaminant yeast or bacteria.

It could be really interesting to use mycology skills to isolate specific strains of desired fermenting-microbes- to then re-inject into our ferments and bellies

Would we want rhizomorphic, aggressive strains of bacteria? Do fast-colonizers taste different?

Am I mixing ideas here, or does any of this have merit?

Edited by Severian, 11 May 2020 - 04:23 PM.

• Moonless and flashingrooster like this

#10 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:12 AM

I have yet to get into agar so I am no help there.

Interesting idea though, let us know what happens if you give it a try

#11 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:27 AM

I blended up the hot sauce jar the other day. Just had some with my eggs and hash browns for breakfast and I was pleasantly surprised how good it was. It doesn't have that smooth consistency like store bought sauce, I think I can handle spooning it out of a jar just fine though

I added some onion powder and a pinch of salt for flavour. Sorry for the sideways photo for some reason it is flipping on me when I upload it.

post-160704-0-22037800-1591111480.jpg

20200602_091304.jpg

I also tried the dehydrated lemon slices like Juthro recommended and thought they were an excellent addition to home brewed iced tea

Edited by flashingrooster, 02 June 2020 - 10:35 AM.

• Ronald Ray Gun, Juthro and Moonless like this

#12 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 8,516 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 June 2020 - 01:40 PM

Brother, your pictures are straight up, its the whole damn world that has gone sideways :)

Congrats on the hot sauce, it looks, and sounds wonderful.    I just made a batch myself yesterday.  Though mine was made out of smoke dried peppers, and wasn't fermented.  A  blend of chipotle, and ancho chilies with a little salt, sugar, and a healthy slug of cider vinegar added.

(BTW, glad you liked the lemons)

• flashingrooster likes this

#13 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 08:30 AM

ohhh smoked sounds like a good idea, it's about high time I bust my smoker out. Got me craving some smoked hamburger soup for some reason

Edited by flashingrooster, 03 June 2020 - 08:31 AM.

• Juthro likes this

#14 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 544 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 07:22 PM

If you want smoke hot sauch in a pinch pick up canned chipotle from the grocery store mexican isle. They come in smoke adobo sauce and are friggen good and spicy. I always put a can in my chili.

PS. Awhile ago I saw your post on Cholula and I picked some up from the grocer. It only lasted a few days because I put it on everything. My partner was dumbfounded when it was almost gone the first time she used it for something.

• flashingrooster likes this

#15 flashingrooster

flashingrooster

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:34 AM

Yeah it's pretty mild but I like it.

Like you said, that way you can put it on everything

My heat index is slowly climbing up. Slowly

Edited by flashingrooster, 29 June 2020 - 10:37 AM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!