16 replies to this topic

#1 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2020 - 12:04 PM

Because of my chickens, I need to move my poppies to a fenced off area. I only had one poppy plant this year and I attribute that to my chickens scratching everywhere. Normally, giant patches of multicolored and textured poppies but not this year.

Maybe I just need to hang a few copies of the recipe for coq au vin around. :)

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200503_114628.jpg

• scott_1971_h, makinbones69 and Mycol like this

#2 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 05:26 PM

Do you extract, or just ornamental? That’s on my list, going to try a few indoors and see what happens. My weather this spring is crazy wild, 60 one day to 4” of snow next. I have a few around the yard but just nursery strains. No Afghani hybrids.

Edited by Choices, 10 May 2020 - 05:28 PM.

#3 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

Mostly just ornamental, I scared myself years ago and learned to respect them. I had a friend who purchased 'Persian White' and I think one called 'softball' or something like that. He wanted to cross breed them. Mine vary from year to year, dark purple, light purple fuscia, salmon, pink, white, solid leaf or tatered, all with a purple X. I used to get blue flowers but they haven't shown up in years. In my area, sow the seeds in fall, you get flowers in Spring.

#4 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 729 posts

Posted 10 May 2020 - 10:26 PM

Yea I find them very enjoyable to look at. I would
Think you need to be exp when extraction. Could go sideways real fast.

#5 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2020 - 10:03 AM

Extraction is easy, the classic milking or warm water bulk extraction. It can be enjoyable but definitely has a dark side. :)

#6 makinbones69

makinbones69

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 1,143 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:02 PM

I've always wanted to try that. I don't tho because of past opiate addiction. They are prolly my favorite flower tho they look so peaceful

#7 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 May 2020 - 01:32 PM

I'm glad you escaped your opiate addiction Makinbones, keep it up! I imagine poppies are nothing compared to some of the pharmaceuticals being produced.

#8 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 May 2020 - 04:18 PM

Yea my logic is that pure milk of the poppy is cleaner and more natural than what they are pumping out from the drug factory’s. But never consuming I can’t definitely say either way.

#9 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 11:44 AM

I can from experience.  They are harder to quit than any pharmaceutical with the possible exception of methadone.  Not impossible, but never ANY fun.  Kratom helps a little but you find your inner strength, or lack of real quick when you go down that road. 

• Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

#10 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 03:25 PM

I can from experience. They are harder to quit than any pharmaceutical with the possible exception of methadone. Not impossible, but never ANY fun. Kratom helps a little but you find your inner strength, or lack of real quick when you go down that road.

Are you saying pharma opioids are harder to quit. Or milk of poppy is.

Edited by Choices, 17 May 2020 - 03:26 PM.

#11 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,926 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:35 PM

MY opinion only....................

The poppy's have a full array of all the different opioid components. You get all of it with poppy milk. Pharmaceuticals are specific. Codine, Hydro-codon, Oxycontin, etc.

In my opinion the pure poppy tea is a far more efficient pain killer than any of the pharmaceuticals, but I don't dare use it more than one day so it better be timed well, and for me really needed. Even two days is enough to give me first stages of withdrawal when the effects run out. I have been addicted to heroin way back in my younger days, and I would never want to go through that again.

I can use some pharma like Norco off and on a few times a week without any real problems when I go for a week without, but daily use of those products will have withdrawal, so I use it very sparingly.

So yes, actual poppy pod is very much more addictive.

Edited by Skywatcher, 17 May 2020 - 06:35 PM.

• Sicshroom and YoshiTrainer like this

#12 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 06:49 PM

MY opinion only....................

The poppy's have a full array of all the different opioid components. You get all of it with poppy milk. Pharmaceuticals are specific. Codine, Hydro-codon, Oxycontin, etc.

In my opinion the pure poppy tea is a far more efficient pain killer than any of the pharmaceuticals, but I don't dare use it more than one day so it better be timed well, and for me really needed. Even two days is enough to give me first stages of withdrawal when the effects run out. I have been addicted to heroin way back in my younger days, and I would never want to go through that again.

I can use some pharma like Norco off and on a few times a week without any real problems when I go for a week without, but daily use of those products will have withdrawal, so I use it very sparingly.

So yes, actual poppy pod is very much more addictive.

Thanks Sky. I’ve had my dealings with pharma opiates with a spinal fusion that went side ways. I’m not looking in any way to go back to those days, at all.

It’s for the knowledge and experience of the extraction. And the knowledge of the effects of the milk. As to be able to know when and if it’s needed, if my back flares up.

Its really for the experience of extraction. I feel the times we are in to have all these disciplines in our quiver is more important than ever.

#13 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,926 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 08:55 PM

I personally can't be bothered with milking and then condensing Choices. Plus I don't do well with smoke-able opium around....

Not a good Idea for me.

I just take all the pods and make tea. Every variety varies in content, and that can also vary from growing conditions. To have a more accurate dose on hand, I will grind all the pods together. That grind I have to run a test run on to determine how much in a cup suits me, not too strong, not too weak. I tend to go light the first time. One rounded tsp. per cup is usually around the right amount for me, but some years it's been more like a tblsp.

Do be aware when you are testing a batch for the year, that the effects are cumulative. That means if you do a test, and then try again the next day, you can get more than you expected because there are still leftovers in your system. When I test a new crop, if the tsp. is too weak on the first trial, I wait for 4 days or so to try again with a bit more.

Once I know how much to use I consider that batch reliable.

I know all about spinal fusion my friend. Mine did eventually go the right way but I was sure I had made the biggest mistake of my life for the first two months....

I have a knee that I am approved for a replacement on, but I want to hold off doing that as long as possible. When it pops out on me it is excruciating and I have no choice but to stay off it for several days. Scripts, or if its real bad, tea, helps me stay off my feet and dulls the pain down.

Edited by Skywatcher, 17 May 2020 - 08:57 PM.

• pharmer and terbium like this

#14 Choices

Choices

Kindred Soul

• Black VIP
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

Thanks Sky always reliable info, my back is ok now just get stiff now and again. I won’t bore with the details but I was highly over medicated, highly. My trust was in the wrong place. Live n learn. My job keeps me very active, so that keeps things loose. But. Every so often it flares up and it’s pretty tough to work through it.

I was just reading about making tea. Seems pretty straight fwd.
  • Skywatcher likes this

#15 happy4nic8r

happy4nic8r

cyans rule!!

• OG VIP
  • 3,611 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 May 2020 - 09:53 PM

Sky pretty much covered it, like I would have.  I had poppies around for years at my parents in laws house that were brought from China, and you scraped them, they oozeed milk, then the next day it was brown and sticky dry.  It was easy to collect then, as it would stick to the next pieces really easy. Scrape the next spot, for tomorrows collection, when you went all the way around the pod dry it dump the seeds, and make tea.  In fact I used the entire plant to make tea, not just the pods although they are best when not milked first.

Opiates this strong are not something you want to play with. IMHO anyway.  I was very caught off when I ran out and had to quit.  It was in the days before the internet and I had nobody and nowhere to look for information on what I was up against. It seemed to take a month to get right, but I was told it was more like 5 days, and that's what I've found since.  If you can make it those 5, and get a nights sleep, you're over it. I'm not a big fan of taking it for pain, it doesn't make the pain less, just your attitude about it.  When you quit theres plenty of pain that will fill your head with crazy thoughts that you shouldn't act on, but probably will.  Like driving really fast and getting in fights.  Really neat stuff.  So glad God decided in his infinite wisdom to place that pitfall so close to us.

• terbium likes this

#16 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 May 2020 - 04:09 AM

An old room mate was Persian and growing up they'd have opium in various solutions to help with toothache, lacerations or other home remedies. We started out scraping the pods and wiping the milk on rolling papers for joints. Then we figured out bulk extraction and had piles of shiny brown/purple coarse powder, which is a bad thing. The person I got the seeds from would get so excited for poppy season and was more than willing to suffer through the withdrawal symptoms every year.

#17 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 1,230 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 16 May 2021 - 01:17 PM

Again this year, just one pretty poppy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20210516_094634-1.jpg

• tregar, Baphom3t, Skywatcher and 3 others like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!