• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 planetcaravan03

planetcaravan03

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 6 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 02:19 AM

I do have a question and have done some Googling about it and am finding that you ask 1000 people you get 1000 answers.  :unsure:  

Is using Micropore tape really necessary and will it slow down or stall my colonization of the BRF jars?

My house is at least 100 years old and had been closed up for many years(20 or so) before we bought it a year ago.  In the basement there is some yellow and black mold issues. As far as I can tell the issues are mainly in the basement(I know that it has spores that they will be all over the house). With that being said I wanted to keep my jars as clean as possible.  I bought a large cooler that I sprayed and wiped multiple time with 70% isopropyl alcohol, sterilized the BRFs in the pressure cooker at 15psi for over an hour and used a still air box for inoculating the jars while flame sanitizing the syringe between jars.  Of course I wore a 3m particulate respirator mask and nitrile gloves I sprayed down with the alcohol. I am sure that there was room for improvement. Anyway....I put the 1/2" vermiculate layer on the top and decided to really try and keep any contaminates out that I would use micropore tape over the inoculation holes. I have the jars in a closed up bedroom closet inside the well sanitized cooler. I do have a grow tent that I can move these jars to if necessary.

Thanks for the input

Planetcaravan

#2 Misfit

Misfit

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 993 posts

Posted 19 May 2020 - 12:49 PM

The reason you use it is to prevent gnats etc. it will not slow anything down. If you do the jars right the vermiculite layer will prevent anything from colonizing. There is little to no nutrition there. But anything alive can burrow through it.
In a grow tent I wouldn’t worry honestly. As long as nothing is in there.

Edited by Misfit, 19 May 2020 - 12:50 PM.

• planetcaravan03 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!