Paradox
©
Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

PF Tek and squeezing for saturation testing..

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

Can anyone confirm I have proper mycellium? It's very hard to get a close up, It just doesn't look as ropey as I remember. And I recall a thing that happens.. where monokaryotic mycellium never meats dykaryotic and subsequently won't fruit? I do see some fiberous myc. in there, but I still am in disbelief it colonized this quickly.

I did used more spore water per jar, I think that's the reason I got really quick col.

https://i.postimg.cc...2c/100-3838.jpg
https://i.postimg.cc...qr/100-3840.jpg
https://postimg.cc/7GHKSG5X

Your jars look good to me so far.

And check this out to see how to upload photos: https://mycotopia.ne...ly-to-the-site/

Edited by TVCasualty, 26 May 2020 - 06:57 PM.

• coorsmikey and Zorkloin like this

#22 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:50 PM

Thanks. I hope this goes well. I'm sure I'll do my best to get to fruiting, but I am *not* well now. I have PTSD ( probably "Complex" PTSD but irrelevant atm ) and have a lot of undigested trauma from the past.

From horrible Childhood things I'm still not dealing with, to other traumas that are too numerous for me to even try to list.  I've learned that due to whatever shortcomings I have in my brain, I tend to get myself into traumatic situations, where I am re injured.

My life right now is kinda shit. I live alone and am not proud to be on disability. My life consists of taking care of my dog, and trying to stay sane. Am am MMJ patient and have a grow, though I hate growing, and wish I could just chuck it all in the f-----g trash. Don't get me wrong. . I know it's supposed to be therapeutic , but I have deficiencies and acidic soil... all kinds of problems. It's very frustrating. I just am at the end of my last harvest, have one bud left.

not a happy person at all. It's gonna be hard for me to get past my anger and my ego. All the pain. I looked toward DMT.. but there's too much potential not I feel for me to have a really bad time. I'm really neurotic at times, and would not even try it unless I had some very trusted sitters. I don't have the first friend in my home town. let alone anyone I can trust

Sorry, pissed off ramble

My jars that are going fast ( they are growing a half inch a day ) are about one of the only good things I have going for me atm

Edited by Zorkloin, 27 May 2020 - 06:54 PM.

#23 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:55 PM

Abandon all hope and make your existential crises entertaining. Works for me, mostly:

[Direct Link]

That guy's whole channel is worth a watch. It only entered my reality tunnel a couple of weeks ago thanks to a thread posted here by Oneyedraven and I've already watched most all of them and a few of them twice.

• Oneyedraven and Zorkloin like this

#24 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:22 PM

I don't recall seeing colonization this fast. Three of the four are already past 50%, maybe past 75 since early today when I looked at them. 

With this seemingly advanced col. speed ( think it's because I used 20cc or more per jar ( nerves , oversight ) how long till after 100% will I need to wait for consolidation / birthing?

This makes me very (cautiously) happy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3883.JPG
  • 100_3890.JPG
  • 100_3879.JPG
  • 100_3890.JPG
  • 100_3861.JPG

Edited by Zorkloin, 29 May 2020 - 05:27 PM.

#25 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:02 PM

The one in the middle looks iffy.

And the condensation is a bit concerning. What is the room temp? And do the jars feel almost hot to the touch, or do any feel noticeably hotter than the others? Notice any weird, repulsive odors?

Using 20 cc per might result in faster colonization depending on the concentration of spores it contains, but is way too much water to add to the jars (and probably explains the condensation) so it increases the risk of contamination. That said, it doesn't necessarily mean they'll all fail and in any case jars going bad occasionally should be expected.

I like to wait to birth them at least a few days after they appear fully colonized, and often I end up birthing them when knots first start to become visible (which is probably a bit longer than ideal as it may damage them, but at least it's certain that they're ready to start fruiting).

• coorsmikey and Zorkloin like this

#26 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 10:27 PM

I have a tote floating in slightly bigger tote with an aquarium heater, it's from 78 to 82 degrees F all the time. I've tried to keep it below 80f . I probably should not even have them in a heating chamber but I made one out of habit. It's never been above 82F though

I've never done BRF jars and not seen condensation when the myc. starts to consume the media, though I'm sure my moisture content was not ideal . My media was pretty dry and had a bit too much BRF so I  hope I won't have contam problems.

What do you see with the middle jar? It seems to be colonizing from the inside out, I noticed it was a different pattern. I just checked, only mycellium and no smells other than normal mushy smell

Edited by Zorkloin, 30 May 2020 - 10:45 PM.

#27 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:10 AM

Turn off the heat completely. 78 is warmer than I incubate (I aim for ~75). If the room is comfortable for you to be in then it's fine for the jars, too.

And I can't tell from the description if the tote with the heater in it is sealed off from the tote with the jars, which it definitely should be since there's no point in humidifying the air around a colonizing jar.

The middle jar has the fuzzy, low-density type of mycelium associated with mold rather than the dense and thickly stranded, ropey/rhizomorphic mycelium of cubensis. After doing lots of BRF jars it's one of the many "I know it when I see it" signs of trouble that can be tricky to describe but stands out as obvious to experienced eyes. Many (but not all) molds kind of look like mycelium photographed out of focus while strong, healthy cubensis mycelium looks has a lot distinct, focused lines.

A bad odor is mostly associated with bacterial contamination so the absence of any odor doesn't mean they're not contaminated, it just helps eliminate some possibilities (or confirm them).

Sometimes condensation means contamination, but not always. It's a function of warm humid air meeting a cool surface so it just means the inside of the jar is warmer than the outside. That's usually the case as it gets close to full colonization since the mycelium generates its own heat (which is another reason to incubate cooler than seems ideal; 75 degrees in the room means closer to 80 in a jar). But if it's forming even while heating the jars from the outside then it means it's still even hotter on the inside, though it could also form as a result of taking them out of the incubator into a cooler space (like to take pictures of them).

#28 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 17 posts

Posted Today, 02:21 PM

Regarding that middle jar. It's colonized a bit further, but it's become obvious that there are parts of the media in the bottom of that particular jar is dry and the mycellium is having a hard time with it.

I'll get an up to date picture later. I'm wondering if it does not fully colonize, if I can remove what's in it and case it? It's stuck at about 2/3rds colonization. It mite be able to colonize the bottom, but I doubt it

The rest of the jars are 80ish %

I cut the heat off. They are colonizing at about 74F . Thanks for that

#29 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,831 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted Today, 03:13 PM

If a jar is not 100% colonized, don't birth it. Sometimes you can move things along by flipping the jar and incubating it upside-down until it finishes colonizing, but whether that will work depends on why it's colonizing slowly (assuming it's colonizing slower than expected).

If a jar is not colonized entirely by the desired species then it's toast and should be resterilized to kill the contaminant and then dumped.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!