• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 CrystalShip

CrystalShip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 01:36 PM

Yeaah I know. :tinfoil: lol Soo I have two ball jars that are shaped like this. And are filled with BRF about 10 days in after inoculating with Syzygy.

81yrajs+e-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Anyone have experience with these?

And the way it's shaped looks like it will be quite difficult or maybe near impossible to get the cake out when it is done consolidating. Could someone recommend an alternative way of fruiting these? I was thinking either tear cakes up and use in a tray with coir at a 1:1 ratio or is there a way to spawn from jars without taking the cake out?

#2 newmoon

newmoon

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 198 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 02:28 PM

If you want you can apply a casing layer and fruit in the jars (in whatever sort of terrarium you were planning to use anyway). I do this with other species of Psilocybes, like mexicana and semperviva, and it works fine. You could also crumble the cakes to coir or whatever like you mention.

• pastyoureyes, Moonless, Choices and 2 others like this

#3 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 464 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:20 PM

I’ve used them for agar. Above advice is sound, fruiting in jar would most likely be your easiest and successful route. IMO.
  • CrystalShip likes this

#4 Severian

Severian

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 147 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:51 AM

Using the 4oz jelly jars without the shoulders are traditionally used for your purpose

Like these https://duckduckgo.c...50&odnBg=FFFFFF

Edit: You can also wrap a spoon in aluminum foil and PC it, and use it to scoop out your cake in your SAB. Not ideal, but the only option I'm aware of if you want to get that cake out of the jar.

edit#2: All advice from Severian at this point must be clarified by the disclaimer that I am an AMATEUR mycologist, with just under a years experience experimenting.

Edited by Severian, 23 May 2020 - 06:53 AM.

• CrystalShip likes this

#5 Paradoc

Paradoc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:10 AM

CrystalShip...wow. I’m really new at this whole thing but I am Seriously thinking that considering new moons recommend to break it up after it’s done and put in some manner of substrate to grow out your jars seems to make alotta sense. He mentioned coir..or grow it straight outta the jar, which I’ve seen discussed here.....You’re in great company here. Wishing I could contribute more but my project involves standing up cakes in a FC to fruit, using larger jars.

QUESTION to anyone who might know
I’m currently involved with trying to extend the life of some cakes and have broken up a few after a 12 hour soak- to grow in smaller trays.(I have 2)
One tray has 2 busted up cakes in 1/2” of moistened vermiculite..
The other tray has only 1 cake busted up into it...with only a small amount of vermiculite. Literally just chunks.

“Short of Doing an entire mono tub and since I’m using fully colonized cakes that have already fruited , I’m going one cake at a time, WHICH is the *best medium into which I can put my cakes so they’ll grow?
Must one use a manure based mix to provide ‘nutritional value- or are Cubes only needing moisture? (As provided by coir, vermiculite or some other ‘nutrient-Neutral’ mix...

Any help on understanding this is greatly appreciated.
Peace.
P~
  • CrystalShip likes this

#6 CrystalShip

CrystalShip

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 9 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:27 AM

Really appreciate the advice. I was right off the bat digging the idea of fruiting out of the jar anyway so thanks for clearing it up.

Cool use for agar once I get there in the future Choices thank ye.

Severian love the tarot profile pic. Yeah I bought a large pack of the Kerr brand and also used a couple of these ball jars as well so they would all fit in my PC in one cycle. It's also an electric PC so tight on space I believe it is 10qts. Started with Syzygy about to inoculate some WBS start of June with some Corumba for trays I will start in an indoor greenhouse im making.

I'll be posting my first grow after the holidays and the second shortly keep your lids peeled. Hope everything goes alright.

• newmoon likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!