• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:41 PM

So this little guy was potted proab 5/14. And I’m curious when it will start throwing roots and when a good time to water. It kinda of fell over and I saw the “org” roots and they looked dry. I read/heard don’t water seedlings.

Soil is sifted cactus box store soil with handful of perlite and a handful of oyster shells, waiting on corse sand.

Thank you.

4654adb3489c3082af6f15091bb1b5a3.jpg
c37c552e13b9e7abf6ebd38a501d5e96.jpg

Edited by Choices, 22 May 2020 - 07:43 PM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher, makinbones69 and 1 other like this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:55 PM

Honestly, If that were mine and anything with roots that look like that I'd be watering the little guy as soon as I put in the ground.

That's just me but it seems to work here. Well draining soil takes care of not having standing moisture on the roots. 

That's a nice looking cactus actually......

A

• Skywatcher and Choices like this

#3 Choices

Choices

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 483 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:14 PM

Honestly, If that were mine and anything with roots that look like that I'd be watering the little guy as soon as I put in the ground.

That's just me but it seems to work here. Well draining soil takes care of not having standing moisture on the roots.

That's a nice looking cactus actually......

A

Thanks A. I was kinda thinking the same thing that it’s a bit beyond a seedling. But not having the exp, soil drains well I think I’ll give it a water this evening.
  • Arathu and Skywatcher like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 May 2020 - 10:06 PM

As long as my cactus are getting regular bright light and it's warm out I give them plenty of water but always try and let the soil dry well in between. Sometimes there are stretches of rain like last summer that they were wet for probably too long. I have so many though that I can't move them all every time it rains......

I do stop watering about September and they don't get any until after last spring frost April/May....they don't go into the basement until we're dipping below 30 more than once and there they stay until spring.

It's definitely beyond seedling, give it a large pot to put some massive roots on, definitely get coarse sand in that soil mix and start picking the wood out of the commercial soil as you see it...... train it to get some real sun and I bet it gets thick this year over the summer.....BIG pots are the way to go. It makes a huge difference in the growth characteristics of the Peruvian's I have going....I'll have to shoot a side by side comparison of siblings in different pots....it's interesting but makes perfect sense too. These things get huge in the wild..... 

A

• Choices likes this

#5 Thwomp

Thwomp

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 52 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:41 AM

I'll admit I'm not in the same camp as Dirtmaker.  When re-potting a cactus, I find that at least two weeks of "allowing the roots to join their new environment" is good to make sure the first watering will be a good thing for the plant.  I'm also an indoor cactophile, so outdoor settings could change outcomes.  I have never had a cactus that was recently potted die as a result of waiting to water, while I have had a good few cacti die from watering when roots weren't well established. My two cents.

Good look and enjoy the journey. 

• Arathu likes this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,874 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:37 AM

They are definitely amazing plants. I had a bridgesii knocked over an edge last year by a thunderstorm which broke the cactus in half and shattered it's pot.

The the sun came out and baked the poor thing, broken, roots exposed to sun and all......I was at work....

So I picked up the root-ball and stump and then found the other "half" that broke off.....re-potted the one with roots into a new and larger pot and coated the wound with sulfur... removed from direct sunshine.

The "cutting"/"breaking" was laid down sideways on the surface, in another pot filled half way with washed pea gravel also not in the sun, it's wound also coated with sulfur. Both stayed green, the original plant pupped at the top and base about two months later....

And in September the tip started growing sideways but was definitely going to turn upwards. It blasted roots out and is also growing.....all of which was done WITHOUT watering it....

So Thwomp probably knows way more about cacti than I..... :biggrin: Which is not hard to do since I followed advice and examples of people here at Topia to grow mine AND I'm a Yankee from up North ....we don't actually have cacti here....

Pine tree's and hardwood forests.......those we have.......

I have never had a cactus that was recently potted die as a result of waiting to water, while I have had a good few cacti die from watering when roots weren't well established.

Surely this is something to take note of and pay attention to..........thank you for sharing your experiences.... I definitely admit that "under-watering" is the direction to go vs over-watering IME.....

Again I'm definitely NOT a cactus expert....I just have a bunch growing out in the sun when it's not freezing and I try to put them to sleep in the winter......I might be a slumlord or something equivalent....hahaha

small_GEDC7048.jpg

Siblings from the same batch of seeds which were a big root ball that had to be separated by gentle washing and untangling....I thought surely I'd killed them all......I was WRONG they all lived..

small_GEDC7053.jpg

In fact I missed this one and it was left neglected in old pot and sandy soil for a year.... it was horribly dried up. My daughter found it and gave me hell.

I could see that incredibly it was still alive, no water, not much light to speak of, roots exposed, just friggin mean man....so I put it a pot with new soil and watered it..... 

small_GEDC7043.jpg small_GEDC7056.jpg   small_GEDC7045.jpg

Here's my thunderstorm Bridgesii....I think they've been getting sunburned too......

Just showing what I'm doing here in US hardiness zone 5a........

Cacti are extremely resilient BUT are susceptible to other things that thrive in wet conditions.......DRY is likely way better....

I'm learning as we go along....

A

• Skywatcher and Thwomp like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!