• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:01 PM

Tonight's meal is Mushroom Stroganoff. The local supermarket had some fresh looking Shiitake's which makes a change as their offering usually looks past it's best. These, along with Chestnut Mushrooms (US = Cremini ?)and White Button Mushrooms have gone into this Stroganoff.

Serves 4

Ingredients:-

4 tsp olive oil
2 large onion, finely chopped
2 tbsp smokey paprika
4 garlic cloves, crushed
600g mixed mushroom, chopped

300ml beef or vegetable stock

2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

6 tbsp half-fat soured cream

small bunch parsley, roughly chopped

300g Rice (or enough for 4 portions)

Method:-

Start cooking the rice to be ready at the same time as the Stroganoff.

Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add the the chopped onion and soften for about 5 mins.

Add the paprika and crushed garlic cloves, then cook for 1 min more.

Add mixed mushrooms and cook on a high heat, stirring often, for about 5 mins.

Pour in 300ml beef or vegetable stock and the Worcestershire sauce.
Bring to the boil, bubble for 5 mins or until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat and stir through the soured cream and most
of the small bunch of roughly chopped parsley. Make sure the pan is not on the heat or the sauce may split.

Stir the rest of chopped parsley through the cooked, drained, rice and serve with the Stroganoff.

P4060001.JPG

[Tags: Crimini, Chestnut, Baby Bella, Champignon, White Button, Agaricus bisporus, Shiitake, Lentinula edodes]

• Skywatcher, Juthro, ElPirana and 1 other like this

#2 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:04 PM

Your making my mouth water, brother :)  It sounds delish! 

#3 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:20 PM

Your making my mouth water, brother :)  It sounds delish! 

It was really good, whole family loved it. Only thing we all said would 'improve' it would be some good quality beef - might do that another time as a treat.
If you're any good in the kitchen at all you should give it a whirl, it is a really simple recipe with taste results far beyond the effort that goes in to it :)

• Juthro likes this

#4 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:51 PM

We are already big fans of stroganoff over rice here, and do up a similar version, though I look forward to trying your recipe.  It's good to try new ways of doing things.   Though I do really like about 1/4 cup of a dry sherry to be reduced into the mushrooms when they are being cooked.  It gives the sauce a little extra flavor.

A lot of times if I'm trying to toss together a meal quickly, and want to add some meat to make it go a little farther, but haven't taken the time to marinade and cook up something special for the dish, I will use a pint jar of home pressure canned stew meat.  Its shelf stable, and fully cooked, ready to eat.  You just add it at the end of making your sauce.  It's super tender, and falls apart like shredded beef after the PC'ing.  Not a traditional stroganoff fixing, but we like it added to ours.

• Cuboid likes this

#5 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:10 PM

"home pressure canned stew meat" - didn't think of this ! Sounds like a great idea and more uses for the PC :)

I like the sound of sherry too. I'll be doing this again soon with the modifications.

#6 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 9,012 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:49 PM

"home pressure canned stew meat" - didn't think of this ! Sounds like a great idea and more uses for the PC :)

I like the sound of sherry too. I'll be doing this again soon with the modifications.

If you already know how to run a pressure canner, its super easy.  75min @ 10psi (above 1000' 15psi) of pint jars, and 90 @10psi for quarts. 

We also home can game meat, fish, and chicken (boneless skinless breasts are very versatile canned, we stock up when they come on sale).  Its a great way to preserve your meat in a shelf stable way, no need for refrigeration until you open a jar, and its ready to eat right out of the jar if you had to, though it's generally better in recipes.  (with the exception of canned smoked salmon, or smoked oysters,  I happy to eat them right out of the jar any day of the week)

Here are the NCHFP's instructions for how to PC beef safely,  https://nchfp.uga.ed...nd_chopped.html

They are a killer free resource on how to can, and preserve all kinds of food at home.  Here is their main page, https://nchfp.uga.edu/index.html, it's a good link to have in your bookmarks.

• Cuboid likes this

#7 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 755 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:31 PM

Thanks so much for the canning links. Definitely trying this out soon.
  • Juthro likes this

#8 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 625 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:52 PM

The stroganoff looks amazing. Thanks for sharing the recipe, I’ll have to give this a try soon.
  • Juthro and Cuboid like this

#9 ElPirana

ElPirana

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 625 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

I went ahead and gave this a try today, very tasty indeed! My family enjoyed it as well. I was thinking, another non-meat option could be to use cauliflower instead of mushrooms. Last week I made a type of roasted cauliflower, you could do this to pre-cook it a bit then add it into the stroganoff.
  • Juthro and Cuboid like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!