• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 10:42 PM

I have been on a hunting binge the last few days. Going to a bunch of different horse and cow fields and searching for whatever mushroom i could find and keeping some orrr taking pictures to post here for you guys. What are all of these? Lol thank you to whoever takes the time to answer my endless I.D.ing questions.
In order of where i found them. Starting with cow/horse field mushrooms. 1-9 are all cow poo shrooms. All the others were found growing out of grass in my moms front yard. Its rained every day since friday, and it poured bad tonight, so im hoping tomorrow there will be some nice psilocybin producing species out in the field tomorrow:)
ba50cd632fb48af12a5e6049f2f0f754.jpg6d010ff64f962f738879712b69a6e5d8.jpga61d5eb2f01117e5c111e923e16075b1.jpg8bfb869985fce685d7e3def36af48980.jpgdc514194106ec1d5669964cf56d593b2.jpgf911a4e5abe61a27883647c8f3b8fddc.jpg876fb96d664b0aca2c8897843c5ce93b.jpg1e924e3d297a77af1e5ab17668afca2e.jpg42f218b6170070ddbda2ccccb1161b72.jpgd32c5f909fadcf657adc46105e134c04.jpg4b8a7255ade78e2cacdf845cdde7fe64.jpgc57d8cc19cebe162145a366afd061786.jpg25460312e8f55432a06aaec85924ef8f.jpg9d34272596ca24f60d2b03f0a4cc4d3b.jpg01a07cb470e1c2a1c394eb29a0210f45.jpg745dd434109cbea7c414b49e982a0e86.jpg

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

#2 Cuboid

Cuboid

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 755 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 07:08 AM

I think I see Marasmius Oreades and Conocybe Apala but could do with better pictures. For ID  purposes in general, close up, in focus, shots of top and bottom of cap, showing the stem attachment, and shots of spore prints can be useful in general but always necessary.  Shots showing whole mushroom in situ, shots showing bottom of stem - unbroken so we can see shape and if any remnant of universal veil.

I don't see anything with a dark purpley brown spore there :(

For psilocybe you are generally looking for gilled mushroom with dark purpley brown to black spores and flesh bruises bluish.

Here's Paul Stamets on the subject:-

[Direct Link]

And Alan Rockefeller:-

[Direct Link]

• ChocolateStarfish likes this

#3 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

I think I see Marasmius Oreades and Conocybe Apala but could do with better pictures. For ID purposes in general, close up, in focus, shots of top and bottom of cap, showing the stem attachment, and shots of spore prints can be useful in general but always necessary. Shots showing whole mushroom in situ, shots showing bottom of stem - unbroken so we can see shape and if any remnant of universal veil.

I don't see anything with a dark purpley brown spore there :(

For psilocybe you are generally looking for gilled mushroom with dark purpley brown to black spores and flesh bruises bluish.

Here's Paul Stamets on the subject:-
https://youtu.be/HCAIqcioRq4
And Alan Rockefeller:-
https://youtu.be/VcL-7u80kjs

Yeahh i wasnt getting my hopes up that any of them are psilocybin varieties. Sorry i know the pictures suck. Its just im taking them while outside in their area where it has typically been raining every time. I know i have seen several panaeolus varieties due to their gill structure. That tiny bright orange one is a panaeolus for sure. It was just to small for my phone to get a detailed shot of its gills. Ive just been taking pictures of them all because i have never seen such an abundant presence of fungi before. Its so diverse also. Today i found 3 different mushrooms, none of which i had seen before today(ill post pics later) all growing writhing a 5 square inch area. 3 specimens from 3 distinctly different species. I have found a lot of panaeolus species,but none that blued or looked quite like a cyan so i didnt keep any besides a bunch of pins i found on a patty that im still unsure of. Regardless i now have both fresh field leeched horse and cow manure for my wild keys island strain i have waiting at home, and i got to see a bunch of very fascinating mushrooms this week. Even a bluing bolet mushroom. Pretty neat. Its a success in my book.

• Cuboid likes this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

The fact that you're getting out there and looking and exploring, learning, is a success in my book.....KEEP GOING....

Try to find and ID as many of the local poisonous mushrooms you can.....it's THE place to start in my views of things.

Super cool that you're in the field and looking....the substrates you're gathering are BONUS..... :biggrin:  

• mushit, Cuboid, Salty117 and 1 other like this

#5 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 12:13 PM

The fact that you're getting out there and looking and exploring, learning, is a success in my book.....KEEP GOING....

Try to find and ID as many of the local poisonous mushrooms you can.....it's THE place to start in my views of things.

Super cool that you're in the field and looking....the substrates you're gathering are BONUS..... :biggrin:  

A  

Thank you! At least someone gets it, lol. All fungi are fascinating to me, not just the psychedelic varieties. While it would have been cool to find some pan cyans of even some wild cubensis, what i really want is to find any undescribed species of mushrooms out there. Sadly i didn't bring large enough bags to carry specimens home... Next time i will bring a backpack with me full of small plastic boxes to keep the specimens safe until i can get them back to dry them. That way i can start sending off specimens. I did see some psilocybe cubensis and Panaeolus Cyanescens out in a cow field, it was just directly off a dirt road on the other side of a fence and there was a bull right about 15 yards from the area where i could see 2 pretty large capped for sure pan cyans, and after having a bad experience with a heard of cattle this weekend i couldn't bring myself to go get them:/ not worth getting gored over. I walked further down and saw a couple of cubensis again, right next to the fence near the dirt road, i think it was because there was a bunch of trees on the dirt road and it provided shade. Again, those damn evil cows:/ That was the morning we left the town. I shall be going back next weekend to go back to the area where i saw those. Next time i may go night hunting so the bull and cows will be sleeping, and will probably show less interest in me. Another thing, the horse poo i gathered has entire whole visible oats in it. I pasturized it at 140-160F for about 7 or 8 hours. Because there are whole oats in there, the guy who owns the horse said he was on alfalfa and oats, could i straight use that as a PF type substrate for straight up innoculating Pan cyan spores with it? not that i do multi-spore grows anymore, but i was wondering if it was possible because of the whole oats still in the poo.

• Cuboid likes this

#6 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 02:42 PM

Oh also, those bright orange capped panaeolus pictured above, i didn't notice until after i posted that, the tiny neon orange ones blued at the stem where i picked them. Does anyone know what those could be? I have encountered mushrooms that blued and werent psychedelic, but never found growing out of horse manure, and never a panaeolus resembling species. I am going to go back there to try to find more of those in particular next weekend. I am hoping my scouting out this time around, and the non-stop rain of all of last week, and a decent bit of rain this week will help lead to me finding more of those in particular. I am hoping they are bigger this time, as they were so small i couldn't even get a focused shot of their gills, which would have helped identify them. Anywat, just wondering if anyone has seen those before.

#7 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Onion tied to belt

• Gold VIP
  • 684 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 May 2020 - 03:12 PM

Perhaps you could use Eggar tek for cloning Starfish or take a horse pile home with you?

https://mycotopia.ne...loning-machine/

#8 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 04:19 PM

Perhaps you could use Eggar tek for cloning Starfish or take a horse pile home with you?

https://mycotopia.ne...loning-machine/

Thats a good idea. I just have to plan ahead this time. This whole thing was super spontaneous. The weather was just perfect so i decided to use it to and just go on a long ass walk to different places where i thought they might have been chilling. Now i know the hotspots and what i need. Next weeks post will be much better(;

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 May 2020 - 05:53 AM

For certain...and I'm not saying that you are starfish, but NEVER trust pins from the wild.

Take a look at this thread started by Hip way back in the day....hahahaha

https://mycotopia.ne...find-for-iding/

https://mycotopia.ne...9-safety-rules/

Finding and identifying various species of mushrooms is a great facet of this hobby. It takes plenty of time and effort to do correctly.

I have some book titles that I can post/recommend for anyone interested in going that route.

I definitely suggest a read through of the threads (short and sweet but dense in information) above and expand from there......

An identification should be made with no less than
size, color, gill connectivity, environment, a cross section, bruising color, odour, and a spore print.

A

Edited by Arathu, 28 May 2020 - 05:57 AM.

• ChocolateStarfish likes this

#10 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 170 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 10:29 AM

For certain...and I'm not saying that you are starfish, but NEVER trust pins from the wild.

Take a look at this thread started by Hip way back in the day....hahahaha

https://mycotopia.ne...find-for-iding/

https://mycotopia.ne...9-safety-rules/

Finding and identifying various species of mushrooms is a great facet of this hobby. It takes plenty of time and effort to do correctly.

I have some book titles that I can post/recommend for anyone interested in going that route.

I definitely suggest a read through of the threads (short and sweet but dense in information) above and expand from there......

An identification should be made with no less than
size, color, gill connectivity, environment, a cross section, bruising color, odour, and a spore print.

A

For sure! No i completely get what you are saying, and i really appreciate you looking out for the community, as a lot of people will see a mushroom that looks kind of like a psilocybe they saw on here, get really excited and eat it that night without a proper I.D. and risk getting really sick or even dying. I am not one of those guys, but you don't know that, and better safe than sorry. Hell, the other day i almost ate a raw bolete mushroom because it was bruising blue  when damaged... and i knew some mushrooms blued even though they weren't psychoactive, but it was just bluing so convincingly that i thought there was no way it wasn't a psychedelic. Regardless, you are very right, and one should be very certain on what kind of mushroom they have before even considering eating it. Getting a trip is not worth your life. I appreciate having people in the community who are very strongly opinionated on this subject, as misidentification kills too many mushroom hunters. I know where you're coming from. anywayy. Does anyone know what that bright orange capped panaeolus might be? It bruised dark blue then black after a while... Does anyone know what that could be?

• Arathu likes this

#11 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 04:13 PM

IMG-0213.jpg

IMG-0215.jpg

• Arathu likes this

#12 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,363 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:42 PM

First thing that comes to mind..............

Galerina marginata

galerina-marginata-xxx1105.jpg

Nothing to fuck with beyond learning to ID as many of your local poisonous species as possible.....IMHO

Nice pictures.......

A

Edited by Arathu, 10 July 2020 - 07:43 PM.

#13 Alan Rockefeller

Alan Rockefeller

Mycologist

• OG VIP
  • 2,035 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 22 July 2020 - 02:36 AM

Deconica coprophila, Inocybe and Volvariella.

• PJammer24 likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!