• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 1upFunGuy

1upFunGuy

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 10:44 AM

First of all. This is my first post. Thank you for welcoming me to Mycotopia, though I have been lurking these forums, gathering info for my own pursuits, for years.

I was considering switching to micropore tape for the GE holes on my mono tubs instead of stuffing polyfill after colonization has finished. I'm sure it will work considering I've used it on hundreds of jars in the past. Any thoughts on this? Will it limit the size of end-product due to lack of enough GE? Should I double tape over the lower holes that are at the level of the substrata to provide more resistance than the higher holes on the side near the lid?

These tubs still get a FAE once a day anyways.

If I am not explaining this well enough just point me in the right direction.

#2 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

I use tape on the bottom hole And poly on the bigs ones up top . But that’s just me.

Welcome to Mycotopia !

#3 BrotherDekatessera

BrotherDekatessera

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 59 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:05 PM

IMO unless its a fully automated tub that is almost never opened, those holes arent necessary.

#4 wharfrat

wharfrat

someone familiar

• App Administrator
  • 6,752 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:04 PM

IMO unless its a fully automated tub that is almost never opened, those holes arent necessary.

welcome to topia

#5 FunG

FunG

"Trump 2021"

• Free Member
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 02:59 AM

I just use a single strip of micropore tape to cover the holes. Works fine as a filter and wont hinder ge much at all since it filters at .03microns where as synthetic filter discs filter at .02 microns and you dont hear anyone complaining about synthetic filter discs stalling out their cultures:)

I use micropore tape for my jars too, synthetic filter discs were just part of the example.

#6 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 812 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2020 - 09:15 PM

My vote is for polyfil mainly because i think it is cheaper but I haven't really done the math to know for sure. I'd save the tape for other things.

#7 zentatonic

zentatonic

Mycophiliac

• Myco Newb
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 07:29 PM

I grabbed some of the 2 inch tub filters from Microppose - they're pretty nice.

I'd do micropore on the lower holes and loose polyfil on top.

#8 MrsPeacock1984

MrsPeacock1984

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 18 October 2020 - 12:50 AM

If you are doing FAE once a day manually then I would just drill eight 1/2 ince holes with microspore tape on the bottom. Not sure if you would get worse results without putting holes on the top too, my guess is probably not as the CO2 should just seep out of the 1/2" holes.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!