• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 Shroomatic

Shroomatic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:31 AM

Just wait for the veils to get open, and then 1 day extra. Then finish with the 1st flush.  :dry:

Yeah, I'm trying to do that, but new mushrooms keep popping up so I don't know if I should dunk with those mushrooms, pick them before they keep growing or not dunk yet. Maybe the flush isn't done yet?

I've also noticed a bottom pin growing towards the water that's in the humidity chamber. I may have to get another plastic tub of the same size to be able to lift the plastic rack higher away from the water while keeping enough top space for the taller mushrooms. 

Edited by Shroomatic, 31 May 2020 - 06:14 AM.

• Alpoehi likes this

#22 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:57 AM

Just wait for the veils to get open, and then 1 day extra. Then finish with the 1st flush.  :dry:

Yeah, I'm trying to do that, but new mushrooms keep popping up so I don't know if I should dunk with those mushrooms, pick them before they keep growing or not dunk yet. Maybe the flush isn't done yet?

I've also noticed a bottom pin growing towards the water that's in the humidity chamber. I may have to get another plastic tub of the same size to be able to lift the plastic rack higher away from the water while keeping enough top space for the taller mushrooms. 

That's what I meant with waiting 1 day extra. One does never know in advance how a grow is going..

The most important element in all this is one's own intuition. You decided for yourself. And that's good.

Intuitively we all know how to do it. We sometimes think we don't have access to that information.

But it's there, all the time. I learned that in gardening and ,later on, from the mushrooms.

The mushrooms will show you the way, so to speak.

I have sometimes a pin growing towards the bottom, I just harvest it as it is.

When you wanna rescue it just harvest it half way through.

Enjoy!

#23 Shroomatic

Shroomatic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:11 AM

That's what I meant with waiting 1 day extra. One does never know in advance how a grow is going..

The most important element in all this is one's own intuition. You decided for yourself. And that's good.

Intuitively we all know how to do it. We sometimes think we don't have access to that information.

But it's there, all the time. I learned that in gardening and ,later on, from the mushrooms.

The mushrooms will show you the way, so to speak.

I have sometimes a pin growing towards the bottom, I just harvest it as it is.

When you wanna rescue it just harvest it half way through.

Enjoy!

Oh I see, I thought you said to wait for a day and then consider it finished. Didn't understand that you reccomended to wait that day to see if it is indeed the end of the flush. 

I like your way of seeing it and it sounds true on some level. However, since I'm very new to this, I can't help but think that there are some decisions that are better than others to promote the healthy growth of our friends.

For instance, I can think of different options concerning the bottom pin:

1) Let it grow and submerge in the water (doesn't sound like a good idea)

2) Flip the cake so it can grow freely (would probably end up with the same problem again and may damage the cake in the process)

3) Put something under the rack so it can grow a bit more without touching the water

4) Harvesting it even if it hasn't fully grown

All these solutions have their pro's and con's and as a newbie I feel like I have more odds to mess things up lol

I think I will harvest it pretty soon because that seems like the easiest option. 

Thanks a lot!

• Alpoehi likes this

#24 Shroomatic

Shroomatic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:23 AM

Hey!

Wanted to share with you that the first flush of the McKennai produced a decent yield (150g wet or so), whereas the Mazatapec only produced 5-6 regular sized mushrooms and lots of thin small ones. The yield from this kit was quite disappointing (5g dry). 

Botlh kits have been dunked and put back in the humidity chamber. The McKennai is producing a decent amount of mushrooms from all sides of the cake and the Maza's are behind (dunked them one or two days later as well). 

I got a question about humidity/FAE. Both flushes have quite a bit of fuzzy feet and I don't know how to improve FAE. Currently, I leave the lid slightly elevated so there's a 2cm gap that allows air to enter the fruiting chamber. Isn't that enough for proper air exchange? I'm worried if I open it more the cakes could dry out. 

Do you guys have any advice?

Thank you!

Edited by Shroomatic, 05 June 2020 - 09:23 AM.

• Alpoehi likes this

#25 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 10:18 AM

I think fuzzy feet do not indicate unproper FAE. I tend to keep my grows rather dry and the shrooms have these fuzzy feet.

An indicator for to much humidity is when some mycelium is growing on the cap or when you harvest, the mushrooms feel a bit wet and soft to the touch.

A 2cm gap is IMO a good doorway for contaminants to enter the fruiting chamber.

I would close the lid again and remove it for a short time when you want to have a look. Usually I let my lid closed 3 to 5 days, no problem.

When spraying a bit, the air on the bottom gets moved slightly, so that the Co2 can escape whilst the chamber is opened.

I spray on the walls around the grow, mostly for ventilation.  But I keep the bottom always filled with distilled water.

It seems that your Mazatapec is not optimal from the genetics; however nobody can say if the 2nd and 3rd flush will not bring what you desire. 

I got a very large one with my third flush, that was one only and after that I tossed the cake because it started rotting.

#26 Shroomatic

Shroomatic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 11:26 AM

Oh I see, I had always read that fuzzy feet indicate lack of FAE, but what you say makes sense because no matter how much I increase the air supply they still have fuzzy feet. 

Damn, I left the lid like that for over a week. Fortunately I see no sign of mold whatsoever. I always thought leaving the lid completely closed doesn't give enough FAE and creates bacteria and mold. I think I will make the gap smaller, but still leave it slightly open because I don't feel comfortable closing it completely. 

Yeah, I guess you're right about the Mazatapec :( 

Thank you!

#27 Shroomatic

Shroomatic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 12:16 PM

Damn, I just noticed you reccomended using distilled water for this method and I've been using mineral water for the last two weeks. Don't know if I may have created lots of bacteria. Do you think I should empty it and use distilled water instead?

#28 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 01:30 PM

The main thing is not to keep the whole thing too humid for a prolonged period of time.

Sometimes I make cakes from vermiculithe and rice flour.  They keep much more moisture. I grow a strain Ban Hua Thai it adapts very well to that. But after the first flush it's over. 

Everything starts to rot because for the moisture given, it grows fast - and it dies fast.  And the rice flour is more prown to contamination for that reason.

I avoid tap water because the filter for the water pipe system here in the house is full of algae and who knows what bacteria swims in the 10 year old hot water tank.

Using distilled water also makes the disk of my ultrasonic mist maker last longer.

#29 Shroomatic

Shroomatic

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

The main thing is not to keep the whole thing too humid for a prolonged period of time.

Sometimes I make cakes from vermiculithe and rice flour.  They keep much more moisture. I grow a strain Ban Hua Thai it adapts very well to that. But after the first flush it's over. 

Everything starts to rot because for the moisture given, it grows fast - and it dies fast.  And the rice flour is more prown to contamination for that reason.

I avoid tap water because the filter for the water pipe system here in the house is full of algae and who knows what bacteria swims in the 10 year old hot water tank.

Using distilled water also makes the disk of my ultrasonic mist maker last longer.

Makes sense. I think these kits are made of rye and vermiculite.

I had the mineral water in there for two weeks or so and changed it two days ago. I may get some distilled water tomorrow and change it again. 

How do you keep it from being too humid during the whole process, especially if you leave the lid closed? 

Even if there was some bacteria getting on the colonized substrate, the mushrooms would be safe to eat, right? Especially after dehydrating and making tea out of them.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!