• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 07:52 PM

Can someone recommend an LC Tek. It was recommended i make a liquid culture, and I want to. I just need a Tek on the LC and also on how to make lids, though it's pretty self explanatory- a tek would help. Hopefully one with pics?

Also. Are home made self healing injector ports made of silicone gasket material functional enough for myco purposes? I can't find it now, but saw a how to on "how to make lids" and it showed this method.

Do I absolutely need a syringe filter and injector port ? I hate buying stuff from Amazon unless I absolutely have to. I used to use Tyvek Fed Ex Envelopes for lids. Just used silicone after inoculation. Is this something anyone still does? It always worked well.

#2 Mycol

Mycol

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 06:08 PM

If you scroll to the bottom of the page in the right hand corner you’ll see “the new vaults” in there you will see some lc teks.

For injections ports I’ve only used RTV gasket maker, I’ve heard someone use silicone before though . I don’t have a syringe filter on mine either . I use quite a bit of tyvek but I remember reading it was discouraged for LC (ive done it tho lol) .

I saw someone take a lid Andrew put two holes in it one was made into a SHIP and the other had a small brass fitting you’d find in the plumbing section stuffed with poly fill inside thr brass. Put that in the lids second hole and use gasket sealer where it meets up with the lid on the inside And out.
  • Zorkloin likes this

#3 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 09:24 PM

Thanks, I could not find any TEKs for the life of me

• Sidestreet likes this

#4 Sidestreet

Sidestreet

May your tracks be lost...

• App Administrator
  • 8,629 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:25 AM

There are instructions for my favorite lids on page 58 of the "Magic for the Masses" PDF linked in my signature. 

Also here's a good one: https://mycotopia.ne...e-test-of-time/

Found here:  https://mycotopia.ne...st-of-the-best/

Edited by Sidestreet, 29 May 2020 - 05:31 AM.

#5 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 08:55 PM

I bought some .03micron syringe filters, and also some self healing injector ports. I'm deciphering a lot of info. Are the
syringe filters for gas exchange? I'm seeing several kinds of lid designs

I can't understand how the long gauge needle we use in myco would not just put a hole in those syr. filters

#6 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 422 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 09:43 PM

For LC I use syringe filter and resealable port. Drill your holes in the lid tight. The resealable port is pressed in place, the syringe filter is also pressed in place with a little high temp hot glue to make seal between the filter and lid. Remember to scuff the surface of the lid before gluing. I also use a silicone O ring inside the lid and a few broken bit's of glass in the jar.

500ml water, 5g MEA, 1Tbl Karo, PC 30 min @ 15psi.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200615_194136-1.jpg

#7 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 12:42 PM

Just was confused on purpose of syringe filter, gas exchange only? I have some and would rather use them than post office Tyvek

#8 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 422 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 01:21 PM

The syringe filter becomes a permanent SHIP for your LC jar, allowing you to draw up your LC w/out creating a vacuum. Probably some gas exchange too.

#9 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:11 PM

I'm assuming one must use the syringe filter with no needle ?The layout of most lids I see have a pre made or silocone made self healing port, with a syringe filter on the other side.

Why both? edit: Oh I see what you're saying about not making a vacuum, that's the purpose of having both?

Oh and I can't find the SHIP acronym, something entry point? Sorry , I'm stressed about this. Cramming my brain waiting for pins

Edited by Zorkloin, 16 June 2020 - 07:15 PM.

#10 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 08:26 AM

Has anyone had trouble with the cheaper GREY injection ports? I was reading that the red ones are more reliable, and that the grey ones don't hold up?

Those of you who have done it.. Is making a port out of aquarium silicone just as reliable?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!