• Please log in to reply
342 replies to this topic

#1 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,482 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:05 AM

I'd guess that what's been going down across the country the past couple of days is not news to anyone at this point.

Has the unrest been happening up-close and personal for anyone here?

It would be interesting to read first-hand accounts to compare with how things look on the news (as it always is).

I've noticed that there have been many more reports coming out of provocateurs getting caught or accused of being such by acting very strangely for protesters, which has probably always been the case in situations like this but it's apparently getting tougher to get away with it. That guy dressed in black with the umbrella was clearly a cop and the umbrella was his sign to other cops that he was an undercover (some departments assign a "color of the day" that undercover cops wear so that there's less chance of their being mistaken by uniformed cops as being civilians and therefore at great risk of being mistakenly shot, which has happened more than a few times). But since cops were shooting people with "rubber" bullets the provocateurs need to have something that identifies them to other cops at a distance, hence the umbrella in a city where no one owns a fucking umbrella. Plus like one guy pointed out, "he walked like a cop," lol. Which was true IMO.

And then there's the "boogaloo" psychos who just want to watch shit burn apparently (and call themselves that without a hint of irony). It might be time for the protesters who have a point and a purpose to prevent those who don't (and in many cases aren't even really "protesters" at all) from setting shit on fire. Or from setting the wrong shit on fire, as it were. I think a huge opportunity was wasted when the police station was torched; it would have been MUCH more productive and interesting to go through all the drawers and filing cabinets and seize the records, communications gear (radios) and computers to take home and analyze.

It was mentioned during one livestream I was watching from LA that due to the pandemic nearly everyone who is getting arrested is being processed and released a few hours later. So everyone involved in last night's unrest will be out of jail by tonight, at the latest. They also mentioned that police were processing those who've been arrested as slowly as possible to keep them off the street and as a punitive measure since in some cases people arrested on the early side had to sit there zip-tied on the sidewalk for 4 or 5 hours. Too bad none thought to stash a "zip tie removal tool" in their waistband (I can envision a few designs that would pass a frisk).

Although it's technically "too soon" to laugh about any of this, I still couldn't help it when it became apparent that in LA even the rioting and looting is centered around and dependent upon cars. Police helicopters were trying to track small groups of vehicles that would drive into a quiet neighborhood, start smashing and looting, and then flee when the police showed up en masse (also in a long line of police cars and SUVs). There was some mention of lots of people pointing lasers at the helicopters to make it harder on them. They'd drive off to do it again in another neighborhood. And unlike in '92, this time they're (also) hitting the high-end retail (and residential!) areas (not only in LA). Now THAT will get the attention of more of the people who generally ignore this kind of stuff, assuming it won't affect them. Still, it would be really interesting to know how many stores being trashed and burned were really insurance scams. With so many businesses likely on the edge of going under it's not hard to imagine that some will choose to try to get a check rather than declare bankruptcy.

• riseabovethought, Oneyedraven and Wimzers like this

#2 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:12 AM

Do you suppose the Fed will have more $trillions at the ready for the insurance industry? 

I posted this yesterday, but I can't stop myself from doing it again.

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 31 May 2020 - 11:13 AM.

• Uncle G likes this

#3 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,482 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:14 AM

As long as their printer doesn't run out of ink, I suppose they will.

• Oneyedraven likes this

#4 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 11:16 AM

I understand that umbrella man at AutoZone was recognized from his voice, walk, and his face as he turned to the camera as a St. Paul cop by his ex-wife.   Jimmy Dore will probably post a trove of video today from his live stream of yesterday.  He had many incidences of agent provocateur activity documented with video.

Edited by Alder Logs, 31 May 2020 - 11:19 AM.

#5 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,482 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:16 PM

A lot of the kind of stuff you probably won't find on the news: https://www.reddit.c...ublicFreakouts/

It appears that a lot of police officers are not getting the message at all. Some of the shit in that thread is truly disturbing.

Then there's the footage of these assholes firing pepper balls at people for standing on their own porches: https://www.reddit.c...unds_at_people/

That shit demands a strong response. That is what Martial Law looks like. We'd best not get used to it. That one video alone will push a lot of fence-sitters firmly over to the "Fuck the Police" side.

The Reddit link has the surreal footage of the guy in SLC who shot an arrow into the crowd just before the crowd justifiably beat his ass and flipped his car. When he was bleeding and crying about it later on the news (since unlike the police, the protesters didn't reflexively kill him for threatening to murder them by pointing a deadly weapon at them) he forgot to mention his bow. Who the hell brings a bow and arrow to a mass protest?

Tonight is going to be interesting. But if they keep targeting the press we might not see or hear much about it. And they are definitely targeting the press. This is one of many such reports I've seen: https://twitter.com/...911382613692422

Edited by TVCasualty, 31 May 2020 - 12:21 PM.

• Arathu and Alder Logs like this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,286 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 12:57 PM

It's a mad, mad, mad, mad world.............as the fabric unravels.......holy fuck!

That's not just what martial law looks like....it IS martial law......

I have seen no unrest near me yet.....I'm NOT in the city....

A

Edited by Arathu, 31 May 2020 - 01:01 PM.

#7 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:47 PM

I am a contributor to Status Coup and just received notification of this video being posted.  I was not on with the live broadcast it was from.

[Direct Link]

#8 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:32 PM

Jimmy just dropped the first video, which could be another Rodney King, the day before yesterday, in San Jose, CA, who was guilty of walking down the street and video recording police.

Seven minutes:

[Direct Link]

#9 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:48 PM

Jimmy Dore, whose grandfather, father, and oldest brother, all Chicago cops, who himself took the test to do the same and was rejected (suspects he scored too high or was profiled another way and eliminated from consideration), posted another six minutes from yesterday's live stream. This one in New York Flatbush was texted to him during the broadcast.

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 31 May 2020 - 02:49 PM.

#10 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,482 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:10 PM

I'm wondering when the sniping is going to start. The rage is at a full boil thanks to responses like that but no one wants to get close enough to get beaten to death, which is what rifles are for. So much for body armor.

I wouldn't be surprised if the heavy shit starts tonight. And I mean protesters doing the shooting, which won't be pepper balls. There will also probably be deaths in fights between looters and people trying to protect their stuff. I saw what looked like one murder and in the reddit thread there's video of a guy who got shot who also admits to murdering someone (after 4 shots are heard at the beginning of the clip) by shooting him in the back of the head. The guy who recorded that one also recorded the shooter dumping the gun, so that video will probably end up convicting him for murder. Well, eventually.

If shots are fired and cops are killed then the response will probably be over the top intense, at which point the response to the response will be over the top intense, too. The Big Question is how the hell are we going to deescalate a situation like that without either plunging into bad-chaos or banana republic-style, Dictatorial oppression (i.e., mass murder of citizens for not running into their houses fast enough and suspension of civil liberties by the state)?

To his credit, the Sheriff in Flint, MI took off his helmet, put down his baton, offered to talk and then joined the protest with his officers: https://www.theguard...ers-flint-video

And not just in Flint: https://www.forbes.c...y/#6f719d245edb

This is from Coral Gables, FL, which is another town that apparently decided it didn't want violence, looting, and fires:

960x0.jpg?fit=scale

So all is not lost quite yet, and IMO it's not time to start shooting back. But it's getting way too close for comfort, and the arrogantly-dense, 'roid raging meatheads among law enforcement just might push things over the edge. I've been wondering how my cousin is doing in all this, and I think I saw his team in one of the livestreams but it's hard to tell since cops all look alike in riot gear (he's a bit too busy for me to bother at the moment, what with being on the SWAT team for LA County and right in the middle of it. I hope he doesn't get killed just as much as I hope he doesn't kill anyone).

And Jimmy has a terrible Cartman impression, but to be fair his heart really wasn't in it.

Edited by TVCasualty, 31 May 2020 - 03:12 PM.

• Arathu and Alder Logs like this

#11 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:23 PM

The point Jimmy keeps trying to make, that if they aren't all "bad apples," then where are the cops who step in when the response is obviously criminal?  It reminds me of when my late Wobbly friend and mentor, Will, who had a junk yard which got a mandatory State Patrol inspection each month to insure no stolen cars were in his yard, the subject of our County Sheriff (at the time--allegedly the arsonist who burned out the first hippies to come to the county, after all their animals had been shut in the house), when Will brought our illustrious Sheriff into question, the State Patrol sergeant said, "well, I'm not supposed to say that."  To which 80 year old Will replied, "That's the trouble, because as long as cops continue to protect killer cops, the people will have to have cop killers." (BTW, Will was the only surviving member of a party of four who attempted to take food into locked in striking miners in West Virginia, the others killed by national guard {I think that was in the 1920s}.)

=========================

One of your videos has made it to Y'ube, the people shot in their own house (45 seconds):

[Direct Link]

BTW, that looks just like the Hummer the feds gave to our Sheriff's Dept. here in the county without a stop light.

Edited by Alder Logs, 31 May 2020 - 03:43 PM.

• Moonless likes this

#12 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:34 PM

Trump adding fire to the flames should automatically get him impeached. I don't hear 1 republican senator telling him to shut his mouth. He is now calling Antifa a terrorist group when it's not an organization? 

Edit: Something I ran across in psychology today. Not sure if it will agree with some of you, but I found it interesting considering my family.

A meta-analysis culled from 88 samples in 12 countries, and with an N of 22,818, revealed that “several psychological variables predicted political conservatism.” Which variables exactly? In order of predictive power: Death anxiety, system instability, dogmatism/intolerance of ambiguity, closed-mindedness, low tolerance of uncertainty, high needs for order, structure, and closure, low integrative complexity, fear of threat and loss, and low self-esteem. The researchers conclude, a little chillingly, that “the core ideology of conservatism stresses resistance to change and a justification of inequality.”

Edited by Wimzers, 31 May 2020 - 05:07 PM.

#13 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 05:37 PM

This is all bullshit. I am sorry. When people started destroying things, they lost all respect from me. Martin Luther is rolling over in his grave. They have deprived people the means of taking care of their families, and destroyed black peoples businesses, cars, and lives.

R.I.P to those who have and will lose their lives with actions that will absolutely not change a fucking thing. Every black person I know is disgusted by this.

• coorsmikey, Arathu, darci and 3 others like this

#14 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:56 PM

I read something today about people being in quarantine, taking away the outlets to let of frustration(bars, sports etc..), possible death from unseen enemy, 100,000 have died, and a president that backs up racism this was bound to happen after that police officer murdered George. It may have started out peaceful, but there is plenty of coverage seeing police officers going after innocent civilians.

• Juthro likes this

#15 onediadem

onediadem

Insidious Drivel

• OG VIP
  • 16,397 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:22 PM

I cannot stand trump, but the last thing he is, is racist.

• Uncle G likes this

#16 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,482 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:32 PM

If anyone needs to show a "smoking gun" to someone who is skeptical about how the vast majority (if not all) of the violence and destruction is at the very least being instigated and begun by either white kids living out their Purge fantasy or undercovers trying to discredit the movement then here is a list of smoking guns so long I quit scrolling eventually: https://twitter.com/...598693647638528

The footage of the pallet of bricks that had been left conveniently at an intersection where there was no construction anywhere in sight was a nice touch, if lacking in subtlety.

This is both really good news and really bad news at the same time.

Word is getting out, so hopefully those fuckers will be stopped with extreme prejudice, so to speak.

Edited by TVCasualty, 31 May 2020 - 07:33 PM.

• riseabovethought, Juthro and Moonless like this

#17 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 13,482 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 07:35 PM

I cannot stand trump, but the last thing he is, is racist.

Unless you're a dirty, rapey Mexican that is.

• Myc, riseabovethought, Juthro and 1 other like this

#18 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 May 2020 - 08:16 PM

This interview segment with Chris Hedges ends on what could be seen as a positive note, seen from his perspective as a foreign journalist, having seen revolts that ended with, as Teev posted above, the gendarmery or constabulary refusing to protect and serve as they have historically, their masters, the owning classes. 

Time stamped for the final four minutes:

[Direct Link]

#19 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:10 AM

Looks like Jimmy's crew has finished the editing of his riot cops being bad videos and made a 30 minute compilation. 

[Direct Link]

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 June 2020 - 08:10 AM.

• Moonless likes this

#20 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,023 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:49 AM

George Floyd died of natural causes.   Chris Hedges explains the system that killed Mr. Floyd. 

Seven minutes:

[Direct Link]

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!