• Please log in to reply
520 replies to this topic

#41 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:36 PM

if the protests are being funded by outside sources i guess someone forgot to tell me where to pick up my check

• Moonless likes this

#42 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:44 PM

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit: these protests (at least the ones in Minneapolis, which started the whole thing) are absolutely about George Floyd; people in the community here have been experiencing this kind of policing forever, and this was apparently the final straw. We've had huge protests here repeatedly over the years when the cops murder black people, which is an unfortunately common event with the MPD; this one blew up, I think, because of the brutality of the video and the excessive police response to the initial protest, with some ambient influence from (as you say) the general tension of the times. It has not been a "race riot"; the protests have been diverse and inclusive, although the state is increasingly managing to drive wedges with wild rumors, which are then being spread by people too scared to think critically.

We're at a weird time where people are primed to believe any stupid ass conspiracy theory some yahoo throws up on social media; this is not helping anything...

I generally ignore foreign news not about medicine or science, so I'm not acquainted with all of the details of this, but I doubt this is about that Floyd guy.

People are unemployed, frightened, and bored to tears because of covid. There really isn't anything they can do about covid. It was just a matter of time before some tiny spark triggered this and gave people an excuse to make some excitement.

I have a friend in London who has seen protests about this. In London!

Whats next, will swedes demand "justice" and burn a local library? Will Uzbekistan have race riots "because of floyd"?

This is simply people behaving badly, mostly because they are not equipped to handle adversity maturely.

I've seen riots on the horizon ever since people started hoarding toilet paper.

Its just stress making immature people do irrational things.

As an aside, every time people post youtube videos about crimes by the american police the video is promptly deleted from youtube. Is there some sort of .onion site where socially relevant youtube videos are archived for posterity?

• Moonless likes this

#43 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

ૐ शान्तिः शान्तिः शान्तिः ૐ

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 03:48 PM

BTW, London has a history of racial unrest as well.  My respected advisor, Mooji, was a long time resident of Brixton, a racially diverse part of the city.  Riots in 1985 started when his sister was shot by police and paralyzed.   There were riots in Brixton in 1981, '85, and '95.

• newmoon likes this

#44 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,163 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:01 PM

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit...

There are a great many things that aren't "either/or" but instead, "and, also".
  • coorsmikey likes this

#45 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:09 PM

Agreed; but, while there are many different things contributing to the Minneapolis (and now national) uprising, I think it's essential to recognize that the police murdering George Floyd is the center.

There are a great many things that aren't "either/or" but instead, "and, also".

• Moonless likes this

#46 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:09 PM

The demonstrations are indeed about the death of George Floyd, but more about the fact that his death might as well have been a replay on ESPN, for all the times we've seen it before.  So, we see the cops on one side, and the demonstrators on the other.  Where are the referees?   No one gets to call any fouls.   It makes me think of those movies where someone sets up a hunt of a human on their private island.  That's about how sporting this all is.  The rules are decided by one side alone.  The protectors of property function smoothly in most times, and a perceived threat is a threat, if you are the one with the gun and badge.   Policing is a class function. 

• newmoon likes this

#47 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 14,651 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:11 PM

I'm sorry, but this is bullshit: these protests (at least the ones in Minneapolis, which started the whole thing) are absolutely about George Floyd; people in the community here have been experiencing this kind of policing forever, and this was apparently the final straw.

The protests, sure.

Those who are responsible for what appears to be a majority of the violence, arson, and looting (by helpfully smashing a store window for the crowd in many cases) clearly don't give a shit about Floyd or police brutality.

That said, it's getting complicated fast since there are more and more reports of blatant suppression of Constitutional rights, such as people being grabbed out of crowds for ...talking during a peaceful demonstration. The government attempting to revoke the First Amendment is what the Second is for. To paraphrase an old warning: "First they came for those who spoke up about what they believed in..." and to restate a more recent one: "A riot is the language of the unheard," which makes me wonder why so many police apparently want to cause a lot more rioting.

Here are some examples, with a few others linked in the feeds:

This is Charleston, I believe: https://twitter.com/...319103167107072

Kansas City: https://twitter.com/...923192612016129

I'm only linking tweets because I don't know how to embed the videos they contain, which are mostly from the oddly-popular Chinese Tik-Tok app.

• Moonless likes this

#48 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:17 PM

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~John Fitzgerald Kennedy

• newmoon likes this

#49 newmoon

newmoon

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:28 PM

The protests, sure.

Those who are responsible for what appears to be a majority of the violence, arson, and looting (by helpfully smashing a store window for the crowd in many cases) clearly don't give a shit about Floyd or police brutality.

There's been little violence on the part of the protesters here in MN; most of the injuries to humans (as opposed to stuff) have been at the hands of the police. I think we certainly have some outside agitators here, but I don't think they're driving the bus, as the state is claiming. This is an old tactic to let the police off the hook for their brutality - I thought this did a good job of making the point.

For example, the guy who started smashing windows at the auto parts store is certainly sketchy - but, the Target and grocery store in the same parking lot were already being trashed at that point by members of the community. If he hadn't been there, I'm quite certain someone else would have been. I think it's easy to underestimate the rage in the local community about this murder.

I don't have much insight into other cities, but I do have a firsthand perspective on what's going on in Minneapolis, and I think many of the reports flying around the internet are heavily biased.

Edit: Re: your point about the 2nd amendment (which I don't disagree with), the local community is trying to make sure there aren't weapons at the protests, because it's not going to go well against 4000 soldiers and a local police department that's repeatedly shown its love of initiating violent situations...

Edited by newmoon, 01 June 2020 - 04:31 PM.

• Moonless likes this

#50 Guy1298

Guy1298

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 1,093 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:33 PM

Pretty wild. As I always say... this world is crazy.

• newmoon likes this

#51 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:24 PM

Independent autopsy shows George Floyd died from asphyxiation from sustained pressure when his neck and back were compressed causing blood flow to be cut off from his brain. 

• newmoon likes this

#52 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:45 PM

Are Under Cover Cops Pushing People Into Police Line To Start Riots?

Five minutes:

[Direct Link]

• Moonless likes this

#53 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:24 PM

I call bs on this

https://www.reddit.c...unds_at_people/

Shots fired into house...

So most people's first knee jerk reaction to that is, holy shit the police are shooting into people's homes. This is crazy, maybe they are right.

If you spent thirty seconds actually watching the video you will see that they shot them with paintball guns. After being told to go inside their house around eight times. While It may seem aggressive and I would probably be upset if I got shot. Implying that they were firing actual rounds into a a private residence goes way beyond inflammatory

Edited by flashingrooster, 01 June 2020 - 08:27 PM.

• onediadem likes this

#54 Alder Logs

Alder Logs

• 15,025 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:40 PM

I searched "get inside" and "light 'em up" and see that that video made it widely to teevee news.

https://duckduckgo.c...tb=v82-1&ia=web

Yes, they say those were "paint rounds."  All in good fun, then, I guess.

The rounds are called, "paint canisters."   Is that the same thing as paint balls, or something else?

Edited by Alder Logs, 01 June 2020 - 08:52 PM.

#55 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

Big fat nothing burger

#56 coorsmikey

coorsmikey

Passenger

• App Administrator
  • 9,106 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:01 PM

Maybe its white people pushing black people in the lines? Please don't turn this topic that we can use to vent our frustrations of what's happening into one with an agenda. At this point this behavior that we are witnessing is not good, nor right. Mycotopia is not the vehicle that's gonna continue to spread the bias, rage, hate, violence or ignorance behind it. At this point neither side is right and there is more on the table to focus on than trying to create more divide than the bigger player social media can do.

Sorry if anyone disagrees with me but I will not let this place be a place to fuel current events. I will let it go down before Mycotopia is a contributor to this nonsense.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong

Edited by coorsmikey, 01 June 2020 - 09:58 PM.

• onediadem and Myc like this

#57 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:24 PM

I call bs on this

https://www.reddit.c...unds_at_people/

Shots fired into house...

So most people's first knee jerk reaction to that is, holy shit the police are shooting into people's homes. This is crazy, maybe they are right.

If you spent thirty seconds actually watching the video you will see that they shot them with paintball guns. After being told to go inside their house around eight times. While It may seem aggressive and I would probably be upset if I got shot. Implying that they were firing actual rounds into a a private residence goes way beyond inflammatory

Yeah it wasn't meant to kill just to put them back in their house. Thing is they shot those paint rounds while those people were on their private property. That is a problem. 

Just a hypothetical, but what if I was sitting upstairs paranoid with my 30-30 lever action rifle pointing at those police officers walking down the street when they start firing on my family. I blast off as many rounds as I can before they unload on me, but am I wrong for defending myself? I don't think I'm wrong. Fire on my family on my personal property. No, that isn't cool and it isn't legal. 

I'd likely die in the above scenario, but I'd die defending my family. 

• onediadem and Coopdog like this

#58 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:31 PM

Sorry I wasn't trying to defend the police in that situation so much a point out peoples use of inflammatory language to exacerbate a situation.

Like when alder posted the video of the news network video of the same situation, they clearly state that they are pepper rounds and chose to focus on the language the cop used instead. The light em up.

People love to pour gas on the fire and maybe I am too so I will just shut up about it

#59 Wimzers

Wimzers

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 206 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

Sorry I wasn't trying to defend the police in that situation so much a point out peoples use of inflammatory language to exacerbate a situation.

Like when alder posted the video of the news network video of the same situation, they clearly state that they are pepper rounds and chose to focus on the language the cop used instead. The light em up.

People love to pour gas on the fire and maybe I am too so I will just shut up about it

Naw man, you're awesome. I know you well enough to know you wouldn't defend their actions. I think I came across poorly because I'm uptight as hell from this mess. Then hearing a while ago that the military is being called into DC. Makes me wish I drank again. 

#60 FLASHINGROOSTER

FLASHINGROOSTER

Semi-Pro Taco Robot

• Black VIP
  • 2,890 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 June 2020 - 10:01 PM

Yeah I am a little more disconnected physically from it all so it's probably easier to be judgemental.  This video clip culture we live in now eh :hug: 

I find myself making quick judgments on something I really don't know jack about

Like I never really considered before I posted why were those cops marching down the street. Now I clearly see that curfew was enacted so that would likely be the reason?

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!