Hi I wanted to share a funny and interesting story of a good friend of mine, Ken. He is not a mushroom enthusiast but we have talked about the subject along a few hikes.
Ken texted me pictures a few weeks ago of a large mushroom that he found growing in his garage directly on an unused bag of soil/mulch. I have uploaded pictures of the bag and the mushroom cluster. I told him it was probably oyster mushrooms, a very healthy and safe species, but he was rather shocked and terrified because it was a few days old and 'looked like an alien' lmao.
He and his wife threw the soil into the forest before I could tell them it was still usable.
I was shocked, though, because i was under the impression that substrate needs to be pastuerized to prevent mold and contamination. Do you think this was just a lucky oyster spawn? We have an abundance of wild oysters here in northern Kentucky, so i'm sure he picked up spores on a hike.
I was thinking of buying the same brand of soil/mulch for my own grow. I do not have a pressure cooker so I am thinking this may be a work around.
Thanks, everyone! Please feel free to tell me what you think. I am working on a first grow right now, so I am very novice still.