• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BuddingMyc

BuddingMyc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 08:05 AM

Hi I wanted to share a funny and interesting story of a good friend of mine, Ken. He is not a mushroom enthusiast but we have talked about the subject along a few hikes.

Ken texted me pictures a few weeks ago of a large mushroom that he found growing in his garage directly on an unused bag of soil/mulch. I have uploaded pictures of the bag and the mushroom cluster. I told him it was probably oyster mushrooms, a very healthy and safe species, but he was rather shocked and terrified because it was a few days old and 'looked like an alien' lmao.

He and his wife threw the soil into the forest before I could tell them it was still usable. 

I was shocked, though, because i was under the impression that substrate needs to be pastuerized to prevent mold and contamination. Do you think this was just a lucky oyster spawn? We have an abundance of wild oysters here in northern Kentucky, so i'm sure he picked up spores on a hike.

I was thinking of buying the same brand of soil/mulch for my own grow. I do not have a pressure cooker so I am thinking this may be a work around.

Thanks, everyone! Please feel free to tell me what you think. I am working on a first grow right now, so I am very novice still.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG-0462.JPG
  • IMG-0463.JPG

• UnHeisenbug and YoshiTrainer like this

#2 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,468 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:01 AM

Welcome BuddingMyc !

That was your third post so you are now a free member and can post and start threads in all the forums. Looking forward to seeing your first grow !

#3 BuddingMyc

BuddingMyc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:19 AM

Awesome, thanks!

#4 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,334 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2020 - 09:29 AM

To answer one of your questions:

Not all substrate need be sterilized or pasteurized - as evidenced by your photos.

Outdoor cultivation is much easier than lab cultivation. Failure is less likely and the workload is less.

Pretty much all you need is clean spawn.

I would go and salvage the project that was thrown out and use it to inoculate a bigger pile of substrate.

• Seee, Arathu and BuddingMyc like this

#5 BuddingMyc

BuddingMyc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:53 PM

I would of thought outdoor would be more likely to contam. Very cool, I will have to try an outdoor bed, thank you.
  • Arathu likes this

#6 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2020 - 07:08 PM

Hahahahahaha is that bag of mulch a solid oyster block......friggin sweet......and it got thrown away into the woods???? Sweet!

GO GET IT! I would for sure....if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing....

If it's still one block I'd fruit it right in the middle of the new substrate, outside, in a bed.....

Welcome to Topia!

A

• Myc and BuddingMyc like this

#7 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,334 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:01 AM

I'm seeing what you're seeing Arathu!

That looks like a fully colonized, 40-pound bag of mulch.

Put that in the back yard flower bed along with - maybe a couple more fresh bags just like it. Somebody is going to be eating some oysters soon.

Edited by Myc, 06 June 2020 - 10:02 AM.

• Arathu and BuddingMyc like this

#8 BuddingMyc

BuddingMyc

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:14 AM

Dang, I hope its not too late! I'll try to salvage it and do a bed and update ya.

• Arathu likes this

#9 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,334 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 10:34 AM

If it was left in the bag you're completely golden.

Even if it was dumped out of the bag you're likely to be able to salvage something useful.

Try to keep the substrate in as big of chunks as you can manage. Then put those chunks into some freshly hydrated mulch.

Keep us posted. This is interesting.

• Arathu and BuddingMyc like this

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,224 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 11:59 AM

The optimum thing would be human tendency to just throw things away.....especially if that's still in the bag......OH MY!

40 lbs of obviously nicely fruiting oyster strain can easily be expanded 2X, 3X, +++ Just LOOK AT IT!

I'm a bit overzealous with fungus but eaters like that I'm just stupid.....I'd seriously be checking where that came from......

If found, and I've found before, whole bags like that right at the stores.......They might just GIVE IT TO YOU because it's "ruined" as the "product" it was marketed as.....landscape mulch.....

Definitely do update on your progress and capture that strain.....it has quite desirable characteristics...if nothing more than the table fair.....

Looking at the pictures again I can see pins under the plastic......holy shit! That's a beautiful thing right there!

A

Edited by Arathu, 06 June 2020 - 12:09 PM.

• BuddingMyc likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!