15 replies to this topic

#1 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:01 PM

Ok Ok... extravaganza might be a bit overkill but what can I say... I like alliteration lol

I'm making this thread to serve as dumping ground for pictures, information and questions as well as to journal my first serious foray into the lovely world of cultivating edible mushrooms. I have a lot of plans and I'm sure I'll have a lot of questions too... Who knows I might even have some useful information for others in here as well lol Hopefully we can have some fun in here :)

So, first of all let me tell you what I have going on right now!

Mrs. Ethno got me a Lions Mane kit for my birthday (she's too good to me) and I've been having fun playing with that recently. I Have it in a clear tote with damp perlite in the bottom and I've been gently misting the walls and fanning daily as well as leaving the lid cracked a few hours a day. The kit was simple as hell... just cut a few slits in the grow bag and keep it humid lol Here are some pictures of the progress its made so far:

These are the first real signs if life I noticed about a week ago.. about a week after cutting the slits in the bag. I tried to find the best looking spots to make my slits but, damn, Lions Mane mycelium is so odd... I would have sworn the substrate wasn't colonized if i didn't know better... This block looked straight up brown when I got it lol

Lionsmane.jpg

A couple days later things were definitely progressing!

Lionsmane2.jpg

I loved watching these grow... they grew slow and steady...

Lionsmane3.jpg

Here's a picture I took today...

Lionsmane4.jpg

Now at this point I will admit I have no idea what to do lol... I've read that they are ready to harvest when the 'teeth/spines' are 1-2cm long. They seem to be around that size but I've also seen people wait longer and sometimes get that typical look they have in the wild where the 'spines/teeth' are longer and pointed down. I have also read that its common for the fruits to discolor slightly when they are passing peak ripeness so I'm inclined to wait a bit longer to see if I can't get them a bit bigger... I see no signs of discoloration so I think I should be OK to give them a bit more time.

What do you think? Harvest tomorrow or let them do their thing a bit longer?

I also cloned some store-bought Shiitake Mushrooms directly to wheat berries by carefully removing a piece of inner stem tissue and placing it into the jars... I made three jars like this and from what I can tell they seem to be doing alright!

I've never seen Shiitake mycelium but this looks right to me... what do you think?

Shiitake.jpg

Another shot:

Shiitake2.jpg

And one more:

Shiitake3.jpg

The mycelium looks a little wispy but it does look healthy IMO... Ill be keeping an eye on these jars and with any luck I'll get one to colonize fuly! My plan from there is to do a G2G transfer to build up a reasonable amount of spawn and then spawn to bran supplemented Hardwood Fuel Pellets with the bran making up maybe 10% of the mix. I have everything I need all lined up so I'm hoping these guys make it lol

Aside from that I have a Lions Mane culture on the way as well as a "Sporeless Oyster" Culture that I'm hoping to get going in an LC and on some grain. I was super interested in the "Sporeless Oyster" strain because I really don't want to have to deal with the typical sporeload of Oyster mushrooms in my house lol Hopefully they'll live up to their name!

So that's about all I have in the works right now... I also have plans to grow more species of edible and medicinal mushrooms including Reishi, Turkey tail, Wine Caps and likely more :)

Ill be sure to keep you guys and gals updated! Any questions, comments and/or advice are welcomed and appreciated as always!

Thanks for tuning in,

-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 05 June 2020 - 06:08 PM.

• Arathu, Skywatcher, Juthro and 6 others like this

#2 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

Awesome job 420! Way to go........I was just looking at my culinary culture collection in the fridge just a little while ago.....I think I'm going to get some rye berry jars going.....

And an agar barrage is almost assured......you can definitely eat that Lions Mane at any point from there on...even small fruiting strains with bunches of them is good too.....

I'm going to get plug spawn going too and nock up some logs along with more bags....gotta get a gas bottle for the grill and start sterilizing stuff.....

Looking forward to sharing your adventures.......

A

Everything looks good to me right there......

Edited by Arathu, 06 June 2020 - 01:06 PM.

• ethnobotanist420 likes this

#3 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 06 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

Thanks man!

I was actually just looking at your thread... I need to get in there and read it from start to finish.. you have some amazing info in there!
  • Arathu likes this

#4 p2p

p2p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 08:09 PM

Aside from that I have a Lions Mane culture on the way as well as a "Sporeless Oyster" Culture that I'm hoping to get going in an LC and on some grain. I was super interested in the "Sporeless Oyster" strain because I really don't want to have to deal with the typical sporeload of Oyster mushrooms in my house lol Hopefully they'll live up to their name!

Can you please share the source of the "Sporeless Oyster" Culture?

Would be interesting to try it.

#5 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 985 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:06 AM

Thats really cool! What is your enviornment like? Are you doing a greenhouse when you add the shitaki, or sticking with tubs? Whats your fanning and misting schedule btw?

#6 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 12:25 AM

Can you please share the source of the "Sporeless Oyster" Culture?

Would be interesting to try it.

It was from a friend... If it works out and is actually sporeless or even very low on the spore load I’ll be happy to spread some cultures around to people here :)

Thats really cool! What is your enviornment like? Are you doing a greenhouse when you add the shitaki, or sticking with tubs? Whats your fanning and misting schedule btw?

Honestly I haven’t even put a hygrometer or thermometer in the tub to check lol it’s pretty cool in my place... between 68-74 degrees most of the time. I don’t really run an AC in my place so it can get warm during the days and cooler at night but it seems to work. Call it emulating nature lol the humidity in the tub is good... definitely high 80’s there’s condensation on the walls and it stays that way... I’ll pop a hygrometer/thermometer in there tomorrow and get some readings.

For now I’m gonna stick with the tubs... just to keep things simple. In the future I do see maybe getting a greenhouse... or possibly more tubs... like a tub for each species connected to a fogger and FAE line. Like a modular setup... I like that idea a lot now that I mention it lol I’ll definitely just be rocking the one tub for a while tho until I get substrate recipes down and have clean and proven cultures on hand to go bigger.

As for misting and fanning... I fan when I wake up... quite aggressively for about 5 minutes then I leave the lid cracked open about 10% of the way and leave it like that for a few hours. Then I mist the perlite and sides of the tub, give it a quick fan and close it up. Before bed I fan it aggressively for 5 minutes one last time. Sometimes I’ll fan it once more just for the hell of it if I’m walking by but that’s about it! Super simple :)

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 07 June 2020 - 12:40 AM.

#7 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 07 June 2020 - 09:47 AM

I'm out of likes before noon..............hahahaha

So this is a surrogate like that admins will have to remove.......

I just ordered a six disc unit from House of Hydro for FOG making......

I'm way past the point of no return now and since I don't tend to take things lightly it will get completely out of control here.... what the hell am I talking about..... it already has...... :ohmy:

Call it emulating nature lol

A critical point that each of us would do well to actively remember and explore, a "contaminated" substrate taken outside will many times heal up just fine for example....IMHO

A

#8 p2p

p2p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 106 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 09:13 PM

House of Hydro makes very good foggers. Just have to maintain them regularly and they will last for a long time.

• Arathu and ethnobotanist420 like this

#9 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 06:03 AM

Mine is on it's way........cool fogs coming to an 8ft X 10ft X 7ft green house.....very soon indeed........

A

#10 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:40 PM

A little update...

I decided to harvest my Lions Mane! I think she got as big as she was gonna get and I was getting hungry lol

Two days ago she looked like this:

Lionsmane5.jpg

I had some things to prepare before I could harvest her so I let her go one more day and when I picked her yesterday she looked like this:

Lionsmane6.jpg

I LOVE how these mushrooms look... They start off looking like weird cauliflower blobs and end up getting these beautiful coral like formations! Absolutely stunning mushrooms... it felt velvety smooth in my hand too...

I held off on harvesting until yesterday because I really wanted to clone her... I could have just tried cloning her straight to grain but, damn it, I've been putting off agar for too long! I finally decided to put my supplies to use and whip up a batch the day before I harvested her.

I decided on this recipe based on what I had on hand:

500ml of Hardwood tea made by simmering maple chips in water for a couple hours... I got a beautiful amber liquid:

HWTHA.jpg

After straining the chunks out I added 1tbsp of Honey and 10g of Agar. I brought it up to a boil and stirred vigorously before pouring way too much into 4 jars lol I PCed them at 15 PSI for 30 minutes and set them at an angle on my oven racks (Oven was off) to set up overnight...

HWTHA2.jpg

Did I mention I overfilled them? lol To my surprise and delight they actually set up perfectly overnight and I turned them upside down until I used them to help get rid of any condensation... I cant believe I waited so long to try making some agar... I'll definitely be making a hell of a lot more!

HWTHA3.jpg

I don't know how ideal this recipe is but I feel like it has a reasonable chance of working... what do you think? I ended up taking two inner tissue samples from the Lions Mane and two tissue samples of some store bought Shiitake mushrooms... I feel like I did an OK job of getting them onto the Agar but its anyone's guess now... I'll try to keep my expectations low and hope to be surprised lol

HWTHA4.jpg

So that's whats new here! Should be getting my cultures in the mail this week and I'm going to try to get the "Sporeless Oysters" set up on some agar as well... My plan is to go Agar->LC->Grain->Bulk but we will see how things go!

Thanks for tuning in! Let me know if I did any questionable shit and feel free to give me a nudge in the right direction haha

More updates to come! Love ya,

-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 09 June 2020 - 09:41 PM.

• ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#11 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:07 AM

Very nice work 420! You enjoy that mushroom right there and by the looks of things you'll be enjoying much more......

Agar is definitely the way to take our work to new levels....you'll find a methodology that works and that you become comfortable with...obviously....

Various flours, definitely BRF, and even instant potato flakes which I would try on the next batch of that agar, can be added to your agar recipe's. I haven't tried honey yet but it's definitely on the list......

I just got new lab grade malt extract, dextrose, yeast extract, and some Gentamicin Sulfate Antibiotic......there will be spores germinating here and clones attempted for sure. I'm going to continue trying to build a culture library from the wild.....

And of course do like you are doing......YUMMY! :biggrin:

Make sure you test those LC's on small grain jars FIRST.....I've found out the hard way......but man is this hobby fun and rewarding....we're learning skills and growing food and medicines......

Beauty!

A

Edited by Arathu, 10 June 2020 - 04:09 AM.

• ethnobotanist420 and p2p like this

#12 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2020 - 12:29 AM

Thanks Arathu!

I’ll definitely be sure to test my LC’s before inoculating a ton of spawn haha

Making some BRF agar right now as per your recommendation... I got my cultures! Hopefully they like it :)

Speaking of cultures... any idea how long a colonized agar wedge inside a centrifuge container would last in the fridge? My buddy hooked me up hard and I don’t really have the space to work with them all at once... what do you figure?

Might have to give out what I’m not using right now ;) and maybe the person/people who take them off my hands can hook me back up with a culture later down the road lol

Full update tomorrow!
-Ethno

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 19 June 2020 - 12:32 AM.

• Arathu likes this

#13 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 19 June 2020 - 05:11 AM

I have my cultures (and I just got hooked up big time as well, like over a dozen species of edibles), right now they are suspended in sterile water and indeed stored in the fridge.

I'll be experimenting with slants, the main reason for using agar "slant" is to provide a clean growing medium for long term, but "long term" is relative so we shall see. 

The methodology used to create the cultures I've been gifted is called blended mycelium. When desired the culture is taken from the fridge and aseptically put right back onto sterilized grains. (I'm still learning to do it)

Yep, culture libraries are the deal but I also started taking prints just in case.....a lab fridge is definitely a bonus....

A

#14 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:29 AM

OK time for an update finally... where did I leave off? lol

Lets start with the Lions Mane block... I had a slit cut in the other side of the bag and I got a pretty nice fruit off of it!

Here it is on the block:

Lionsmane7.jpg

And here it is after harvest!

Lionsmane8.jpg

It looks nice to me! A little Coral-y... I've read that can be caused by not enough FAE... I'll try giving them a bit more next time and see if that changes the appearance at all. Either way tho.. That's 2 nice fruits from this block so far! I'm going to let it rest for a few days, dunk it, maybe re-wrap it, and get set up for the second flush!

As for the hardwood tea and honey agar I made a little while ago... all 4 jars are looking good! 2 Lions Mane cloned from the previous fruit and 2 Shiitake cloned from store-bought mushrooms. I'll post a picture of each... BE WARNED... These pictures are trash lol

Shiitake:

HWTHA5.jpg

Lions Mane:

HWTHA6.jpg

Told you these pictures were garbage lol I can see into the jars pretty well but getting a good picture is a nightmare... I see no growth anywhere other than where it should be and the growth I am seeing seems right for the species. The Lions Mane looks wispy as hell but that's par for the course from what I've read... What do you guys think? I plan to transfer them into better agar containers (hopefully legit Petri dishes) after they grow out a bit more to make sure they are clean and let you guys have a better look :) I wanna get some proper plates even if its just for the sake of getting better pictures lol

The 3 jars of wheat I cloned the Shiitake to are also... doing something... lol They don't seem to be contaminated but the growth is a little slow... I think It might have something to do with the moisture content of the grain honestly. Its "hard winter wheat" and every time I try to use it the kernels seem to dry out quite fast and slow down growth... I cant seem to get it to hold enough moisture for my liking.

Anyway here's a pic of that:

Shiitake4.jpg

And another:

Shiitake5.jpg

I think I'll probably end up ditching these but I'll let them hang out for now lol I picked up a 50lb bag of whole oats the other day and I MUCH prefer working with those anyway... not to blame the wheat... I just like oats way better haha I'll probably just wait for the agar clone from the Shiitakes to finish up and eventually put that to LC and then to oats. We'll see what happens with these jars in that time tho... Fun side project if nothing else.

The biggest update is that I got my cultures!!! Lions Mane, Sporeless Oyster, 3015 Oyster, Yellow Oyster, Pink Oyster, Maitake and Red Reishi.... I was only supposed to be getting the Sporeless Oyster and the Lions Mane but my friend hooked me up pretty hard lol  I'm trying to get him to join up here... Hopefully he does... He's a pretty cool guy!

Anyway... I grabbed out the Lions Mane, Sporeless Oyster and Red Reishi to play with right now... the rest are chilling in the fridge for the time being... They should be fine in here for a while. I decided I would put a bit of each on agar and try out an LC of each as well. I went with BRF Agar (Thanks Arathu!) and a simple honey LC... The agar recipe was:

-500ml water

-10g freshly ground BRF

-10g agar

It ended up setting up really nice! Super simple and I have high hopes for it! The LC was 500ml of water with 1 Tbsp + 1 Tsp of honey... I was aiming for around 20ml of honey per 500ml of water to give a concentration of ~4%... This has worked really well for me in the past.

I loaded up the SAB and got to work...

SAB.jpg

I took a piece of the colonized agar wedge of each species and flipped it face down onto some new BRF Agar with a sterile scalpel. I scraped the mycelium off the rest of the wedge with a sterilized needle. I injected sterile water into the centrifuge tube containing the wedge and sucked it back up, repeating the process of injecting, stirring and sucking the water back up until I had all the mycelium suspended in water in the syringe. I did that with each species and inoculated an LC of each using the respective syringes of suspended mycelium... The leftover suspended mycleium went back into the fridge to chill :)

Here's the Lions Mane... 1 agar jar and 1 LC jar:

LCandBRFA.jpg

And the Sporeless Oyster:

LCandBRFA3.jpg

And the Reishi:

LCandBRFA2.jpg

I didn't even bother trying to take a picture of the agar surface... I'll get everything transferred over to better plates eventually and we can all get a good look then :) lol

I have found myself obsessing over the image of a beautifully colonized plate of agar lately... I know people like using jars but they are taking up a lot of space and I REALLY want that beautiful aesthetic of a fully colonized plate so bad lol Its all I can think about lately... I see them in my dreams.... Send help... haha

So yea I'll probably order some petri dishes... Nothing fancy just PP5 plastic plates. I also have a lot more agar recipes I want to try out...there are SO MANY... if there is an agar bug I have definitely been bit lol

That basically brings us up to speed! Gotta wait and let things grow now! I'll probably post some more pictures of the Lions Mane block while I'm waiting tho...

Thanks for tuning in! Let me know what you're thinking :) More updates soon...

Much Love

-Ethno

• p2p likes this

#15 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 7,488 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 June 2020 - 06:32 AM

I have found myself obsessing over the image of a beautifully colonized plate of agar lately... I know people like using jars but they are taking up a lot of space and I REALLY want that beautiful aesthetic of a fully colonized plate so bad lol Its all I can think about lately... I see them in my dreams.... Send help... haha

Yeah right....I'm dreaming/seeing about fruiting mushrooms coming up out of blocks and hearing the call......

TOO LATE BUDDY......they got your number and YOU proved that you know how to help them grow.......

Careful what you wish for........hahahaha

That BRF agar works pretty well actually....man I have to pour plates.....

I got lab grade dextrose, yeast extract, and malt extract now but the BRF works as you've mixed it. In fact I need to pick up some organic brown rice too....

Good stuff 420.....I look forward to your next and ongoing adventures.....

A

#16 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 September 2021 - 02:21 AM

I shit the bed hard on keeping this thread alive didn’t I? Lol

All is not lost tho! My cultures have survived my heinous neglect and now it’s time to really get this mycelium running :)

Finally Mrs. Ethno and I have our own place and I have been allocated a very large portion of the basement in which to pursue my hobbies lol

I have big plans... eventually my aim is to grow edibles to sell at the farmers market and eventually to partner with a local organic greenhouse to add mushrooms to their repertoire. They have expressed sincere interest in working together which is ridiculously exciting!

That’s all up in the air for the time being tho... step 1 is to get my cultures up and ripping through substrate. So that’s where we’ll start!

To anyone tuning in... I apologize for abandoning ship out of nowhere. Life is weird as hell... but so am I lol

Let’s get this show going again! Hopefully we can all learn from each other... I’m not pulling any punches in documenting and investigating my failures either. We won’t learn a damn thing in life doing that lol

Thanks for tuning (back) in! I look forward to documenting this journey with you all :)

-Ethno
  • Arathu, Skywatcher and YoshiTrainer like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!