#1 Seee

Seee

Ghost

• Free Member
  • 565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:46 AM

Description:

Moved into a new spot and look who my neighbors are!
Armillaria Mellea (assumed, could be Tabescens), parasitic on deciduous hard wood,
found in a neighborhood of mostly older folks.. the trees and people and houses
are all very old and often windstorms will leave wood scattered everwhere down the whole street
they pop up in yards shoot across at least 15+ of moderate-sized houses in dense clusters
ive found them other places around town, but never so widespread like this! the largest is the species Armillaria solidipes, stretching a couple miles through a mountain range in Oregon, so i shouldnt be surprised.
Hopefully i can get some pictures in the fall of them going wild..

I took these picture some time ago now, and i never bothered to check the gills,
i had plans to eat them and maybe even dehydrate a ton of them,
but i kinda didnt want to mess with getting sick (no diarrhea pls thanx)
Ive gotten more and more curious to try them.. so im gonna give it a go once they pop up again.

Has anyone tried them, would you compare them to button mushrooms, or are they something special?

p.s. i love my stump. hes a good stumpy (the tree in the picture is a stump about 4-5 feet tall.. he has been asking for some shiitake dowels..

Attached Thumbnails

• honey mushrooms 2.jpg
  • honey mushrooms 3.jpg
  • honey mushrooms 1.jpg

Edited by Seee, 08 June 2020 - 12:53 AM.

• makinbones69 likes this

#2 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,873 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 11:39 AM

as a mycologist...

Has anyone tried them, would you compare them to button mushrooms, or are they something special?

Fresh out of school?

#3 Seee

Seee

Ghost

• Free Member
  • 565 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 12:53 PM

as a mycologist...

Fresh out of school?

the taste of them.. ive never eaten them before... ive seen them for years.. i know its a boring thread, but these pics have been burning a hole in my pocket :)

im always in school.. i never leave.. im studying right now

i may do a hand drawing study later.. what are you studying today? :)

Edited by Seee, 08 June 2020 - 12:53 PM.

#4 August West

August West

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,873 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 June 2020 - 01:12 PM

First mycologist I've ever encountered who hasn't eaten honey mushrooms. Life is full of firsts.

At the moment, I'm studying economics.

Edited by August West, 08 June 2020 - 01:12 PM.

• Myc likes this

#5 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 357 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 07:12 AM

Delicious

One of my favs honestly

Strip the stem, take the pith out of the stem and sautee it- with butter (/andgarlic)- delicious.

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,378 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2020 - 09:31 AM

Description:

Moved into a new spot and look who my neighbors are!
Armillaria Mellea (assumed, could be Tabescens), parasitic on deciduous hard wood,
found in a neighborhood of mostly older folks.. the trees and people and houses
are all very old and often windstorms will leave wood scattered everwhere down the whole street
they pop up in yards shoot across at least 15+ of moderate-sized houses in dense clusters
ive found them other places around town, but never so widespread like this! the largest is the species Armillaria solidipes, stretching a couple miles through a mountain range in Oregon, so i shouldnt be surprised.
Hopefully i can get some pictures in the fall of them going wild..

I took these picture some time ago now, and i never bothered to check the gills,
i had plans to eat them and maybe even dehydrate a ton of them,
but i kinda didnt want to mess with getting sick (no diarrhea pls thanx)
Ive gotten more and more curious to try them.. so im gonna give it a go once they pop up again.

p.s. i love my stump. hes a good stumpy (the tree in the picture is a stump about 4-5 feet tall.. he has been asking for some shiitake dowels..

With honey mushrooms, you typically only eat the cap... They are kinda like Shitake

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!