• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 08:06 AM

Seems like the temps are beginning to climb into the realm that makes sense to move my focus to outdoor growing, and, I'm blessed with being in a space right now where I have (for the summer at least) an abundance of forest space to make outdoor beds in.

I'm fairly new to the whole growing game, and entirely new to the outdoor realm- so this is all pretty experimental.

The first bed I dug was around the 23/24th of May-

I inoculated a 5 micron mycobag using Buckaroo Banzai's nugget tek- The bag developed trich, more than I was able to eliminate using chemical warfare (distilled white vinegar)-

So it volunteered itself as the best candidate for the first outdoor bed

I found a spot that I thought might be good- a few feet below where a pond is on the property in the woods- which seemed good and moist. (I have questions now whether or not it's TOO moist... more on that in a minute)

I pulled back the topsoil layer, and dug a hole about 2 feet by 2 feet x 6 inches, and then I scooped off the trich, and broke up the grain spawn on top of the bag and layered it up with the substrate, which was 40/40/20 Coir/Castings/Vermiculite

Then I replaced the removed top"soil" - more of a knotted mess of roots and pine needles

A few days later I decided to remove it, as that layer was real thick and I was worried that it was too dense a casing layer for the mycellium to poke through- I sprinkled some of the jet black forest soil on top instead

Days later I noticed some slugs decided to move in.

I've been checking on the bed daily- Today I decided to do something about the slugs, and layed a fence of diatomaceaus earth around the bed, as well as sprinkled some on it- Wondered if the lack of pinning could be due to the mycellium sensing the slug trails... though more likely that it's some combination of low nighttime temps and the fact that it's in a rather moist location- Could also be a time thing

Bed has been colonizing good though- seems to have consolidated strongly- no signs of contamination- I may just be a bit impatient- even my indoor projects right now seem to be taking their sweet time pinning.

Temps have been around 50 at night, 60-80 during the day.

Here are pics from this morning

IMG-0289.jpg

I reached the bed earlier than normal, and it's the first time I've seen the diatomaceus earth on the bed- it may be a trick of the light, because it looked as if the DE was molding... difficult to tell in the overcast-morning light between the trees.  You can see the different colors of the powder... Going to stop back by in the afternoon when the light is better.

Also, you can see that DE did nothing to deter the slugs

IMG-0291.jpg

TodayYesterday I cut down cedar logs to use for the real beds- Intention is to make 2 4 foot x 4 foot beds-

I scouted some 2 locations that feel good- where the soil is actually at field capacity or pretty close- Moist but not wet.

I dug two test beds in those sites, using some questionable grain spawn,  pastuerized alpaca/sheep poo and dead grass

Here are two photos of one of the sites-

IMG-0287.jpg

IMG-0288.jpg

Some questions I have

I'm wondering if the acidity of the soil has an impact on the outdoor growing? Certain trees that do better than others? I've read a bit about oak being desireable, and located one bed (not currently pictured) underneath a massive oak tree.

And also what is the best location as far as sun goes? I  was guessing "dappled/speckled sun through the leafs" is best- Both areas have ferns growing there. 

• ElPirana, makinbones69, YoshiTrainer and 1 other like this

#2 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 09:39 AM

Seems like the temps are beginning to climb into the realm that makes sense to move my focus to outdoor growing, and, I'm blessed with being in a space right now where I have (for the summer at least) an abundance of forest space to make outdoor beds in.

I'm fairly new to the whole growing game, and entirely new to the outdoor realm- so this is all pretty experimental.

The first bed I dug was around the 23/24th of May-

I inoculated a 5 micron mycobag using Buckaroo Banzai's nugget tek- The bag developed trich, more than I was able to eliminate using chemical warfare (distilled white vinegar)-

So it volunteered itself as the best candidate for the first outdoor bed

I found a spot that I thought might be good- a few feet below where a pond is on the property in the woods- which seemed good and moist. (I have questions now whether or not it's TOO moist... more on that in a minute)

I pulled back the topsoil layer, and dug a hole about 2 feet by 2 feet x 6 inches, and then I scooped off the trich, and broke up the grain spawn on top of the bag and layered it up with the substrate, which was 40/40/20 Coir/Castings/Vermiculite

Then I replaced the removed top"soil" - more of a knotted mess of roots and pine needles

A few days later I decided to remove it, as that layer was real thick and I was worried that it was too dense a casing layer for the mycellium to poke through- I sprinkled some of the jet black forest soil on top instead

Days later I noticed some slugs decided to move in.

I've been checking on the bed daily- Today I decided to do something about the slugs, and layed a fence of diatomaceaus earth around the bed, as well as sprinkled some on it- Wondered if the lack of pinning could be due to the mycellium sensing the slug trails... though more likely that it's some combination of low nighttime temps and the fact that it's in a rather moist location- Could also be a time thing

Bed has been colonizing good though- seems to have consolidated strongly- no signs of contamination- I may just be a bit impatient- even my indoor projects right now seem to be taking their sweet time pinning.

Temps have been around 50 at night, 60-80 during the day.

Here are pics from this morning

IMG-0289.jpg

I reached the bed earlier than normal, and it's the first time I've seen the diatomaceus earth on the bed- it may be a trick of the light, because it looked as if the DE was molding... difficult to tell in the overcast-morning light between the trees. You can see the different colors of the powder... Going to stop back by in the afternoon when the light is better.

Also, you can see that DE did nothing to deter the slugs

IMG-0291.jpg

TodayYesterday I cut down cedar logs to use for the real beds- Intention is to make 2 4 foot x 4 foot beds-

I scouted some 2 locations that feel good- where the soil is actually at field capacity or pretty close- Moist but not wet.

I dug two test beds in those sites, using some questionable grain spawn, pastuerized alpaca/sheep poo and dead grass

Here are two photos of one of the sites-
IMG-0287.jpg

IMG-0288.jpg

Some questions I have
I'm wondering if the acidity of the soil has an impact on the outdoor growing? Certain trees that do better than others? I've read a bit about oak being desireable, and located one bed (not currently pictured) underneath a massive oak tree.

And also what is the best location as far as sun goes? I was guessing "dappled/speckled sun through the leafs" is best- Both areas have ferns growing there.

It's looking ok for now all my outdoor grows take 2ce the time as indoors, also for the slugs place either copper wire around the bed, slugs tough copper they die it's almost instant. I would do a couple rings like a target . Or you can circle the bed with cardboard that has copper tape as a boarder .
I hate slugs this is the only way without salting which could damage your bed or poisons that may harm you. I'll take a look I just skimmed it cause im at work .
Not bad man

Your friendly neighborhood toybox

#3 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 02:58 PM

Well, I'd remembered that salt and slugs don't mix like tequila and mormons, so I put a ring of salt around the bed- none on it though-

Was wondering what effect salt might have on the mycellium- I didn't put any on the bed itself- hopefully any rain doesnt give them more than they van handle.

I would have taken a photo of the salt ring of sauron but I went to snap the shot and was informed "no card in camera" so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

• Toybox78 likes this

#4 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Well, I'd remembered that salt and slugs don't mix like tequila and mormons, so I put a ring of salt around the bed- none on it though-

Was wondering what effect salt might have on the mycellium- I didn't put any on the bed itself- hopefully any rain doesnt give them more than they van handle.

I would have taken a photo of the salt ring of sauron but I went to snap the shot and was informed "no card in camera" so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

Salt can mess up the dirt ph and cause stalling that's why I suggested copper it's the safest.

#5 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:14 PM

Looks like I may be removing that salt barrier then and pillaging the copper out of my neighboors utility box.

#6 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 300 posts

Posted 09 June 2020 - 03:21 PM

Meatheads unite! Lol

#7 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,072 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2020 - 04:35 AM

Very nice, as long as mama nature keeps the RH up for you there.....you'll probably need a basket soon.......

Slugs.....what a pain in the arse! Try making nice clean grain spawn too and using with HPOO or other manures......

Those low growing green layers of foliage are definitely in our (and the shrooms) favor......

Can't wait to see these fruit.....good job man!

A

• Toybox78 likes this

#8 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 246 posts

Posted 31 July 2020 - 09:56 AM

Thought about starting a new thread- but what follows is clearly the continuation, so less clutter!

Learnt alot from the above, with those test beds, and about pests etc.

Life has been crazy lately- Quit working at what turned into a cult- well, long story

Anyhow it's my explanation of why I didn't document this the best that I could.

To begin this thread continuation- A couple of side by side photos-

Largest Mushroom for previous grows- Wet weight 21.63g

IMG-0481.jpg

Largest Mushroom from current, out door grow 36.41g

IMG-0587.jpg

Well, a slight continuation of the explanation, as I belief it's necessary to get an idea of the hodgepodge nature of what happened to my mycology work.

Basically, I was given a short notice to vacate the place I was living- packed all my shit into a new (old) trailer, and parked it at a friends place, who also has a bit of growing experience- though very very basic- and very loose with the method-

I took all of my bulk bins, One was poo/straw , and had only flushed once, the other coir/coffee/castings and had flushed twice- I mixed those with straw, and alpaca/sheep poo compost that had been composted for about a year- these I cold pasteurized for 48 hours w/ lime (calcium hydroxide).  This is the bed I documented below

I also had 4 half gallon jars of coir/coffee/castings that I'd done via Buckaroo Bonzai's Nugget tek-  These were fruiting very slowly and starting to stall when I handed them off to my friend.

He cut them out of the jar, and just dumped them into my dub tubs- and then grabbed fresh green grass and just set it on top- sort of barely layering it. Real Messy.

IMG-0516.jpg

IMG-0520.jpg

IMG-0521.jpg

IMG-0524.jpg

IMG-0523.jpg

IMG-0522.jpg

These got trich. Suprise! But no problem- it never became bad and they've been fruiting continually for the last two weeks, before I remixed them into a mix of coir and some manure bought from the local feed store. No pastuerization this time. Saw the first fruit this morning, though the big tub isn't finished colonizing yet. I remixed them maybe 5 days ago- so they've got some time left before full colonization.

Pulled maybe 3 oz dry total from all these tubs before remixing

Also, had a couple of super ready to spawn grain bags- Took one of them and just used it as a giant seed, in order to hopefully stave off the inevitable contam that would come from breaking that bugger up and spawning it as we normally would- Just stuck it in the middle of a dub tub and mixed coir/manure over it. Seems happy so far! No Photos of this yet-

Nutshell- outdoor growing is WAY easy.

Larger Nutshell- FUCK BUGS.

Here's the bed- It's 5ft x 2ft, and around 6 inches deep. Lined with concrete tiles(?) and a roll of hardware cloth on top- which has so far been effective at detering any chipmunk type critters. Lots of Beer traps around- I haven't seen any slugs in the interior of the bed since I put those down two days ago- but I'm still seeing chomps- difficult to tell if these chomps are previous chomps enlarging cuz mushrooms getting bigger, or other creatures- Though I'm noticing fungus flies as well.

So far I've pulled 95 grams wet from 5 mushrooms. Not counting the missing bits from the slug chomping.

IMG-0597.jpg

Circle of Protection: Slugs

Mana Cost $10.99

Frat Boy Slugs Can't Get enough

"Scuse me sir can I see your ID."

"Ah no this isn't for me, I'd never drink this stuff! It's for the slugs"

IMG-0598.jpg

IMG-0592.jpg

View facing South-Southwestish

Notice the leafy young maple- Blocking most of the midafternoon light

IMG-0601.jpg

View facing Eastish

IMG-0602.jpg

thought I'd photos of North and West

Intent was to show the type of light the bed is getting.

I dug this bed around June 24th- It started fruiting last week- And only in the left half of the bed-

When I dug it, the pastuerized straw/manure was still WET WET. and it's been super rainy- and still pretty chilly at night- It's this combination of WET/DAMP/DARK that I'm pointing too as to why it took so long to colonize/fruit- and to why I think slugs have been as bad as they have. 

Contrasted with the bucket of compost/substrate dumped in a Sunny-for-the first half of the day location in tall grass, that's been fruiting consistently, if only tiny mushrooms recently, and I think that an actual-wooded location for an outdoor cube bed is a poor choice-  Considering the origin story of dung loving mushrooms being on the plains, I think it makes sense that they would want at least some actual sun during the day- At least more so than the slight dappling they receive where their at. 

IMG-0519.jpg

So my next plan is to harvest the lower half of the bed- Which seems to be mostly colonized but not yet fruiting, and to stick it in one of these

external-content-duckduckgo-com.jpg

And raise it up on blocks in the middle- to see if the addition air/evap/sun/heat will help it to fruit faster. Will actually photolog this process.

• Arathu, ElPirana and YoshiTrainer like this

#9 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 485 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2020 - 10:33 AM

Wow, great job! You need to get some wood lovers going next!
  • Arathu likes this

#10 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 6,072 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 31 July 2020 - 11:58 AM

Wow, great job! You need to get some wood lovers going next!

You know what they say....once you go to the WOOD......hahahaha

You might just grow the others for fun.....

Good job man...

A

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!