• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BorealGhost

BorealGhost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 09:37 PM

My BRF cakes were made with too high of a moisture content due to a misunderstanding and when they were birthed one of them had a gooey center. Because of this I didn't dunk them and put them directly into the fruiting chamber. Once exposed to a dryer environment the super aggressive Rhyso took over and finished colonizing them. Do I need to dunk them now that they are good to go? Should I even dunk them or just let them chill in the sgfc? I tried using the search bar and couldn't find a good answer so I hope this isn't too nooby of a question.

#2 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,099 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:25 PM

Id let it go threw first flush and see.

Question.. how did you find out it was gooey?

If it was not fully colonized it shouldn't have been birthed.
You risk contamination..

I wait to see pins forming before birth, then I know for sure its ready.

#3 BorealGhost

BorealGhost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 11:11 PM

I think that due to the moisture content the outside finished colonizing and the other cakes were all ready. I definitely pulled them too early, it was my first time and I was just pretty inexperience with how it should look. I waited a week after external colonization. I dunked the cakes and just had a gut feeling about the one that was gooey and I was able to see that the center was off. I pulled them after and hour and just went into panic mode and put them in the sgfc. It has since colonized and I'm impressed with the resilience of the cubes. But I was curious if I should dunk them again or if they'll be fine.

#4 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Black VIP
  • 696 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 10 June 2020 - 11:41 PM

You can let them produce a first flush and then dunk them!

#5 BorealGhost

BorealGhost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 June 2020 - 05:47 AM

Alright cool, Ill just let them be and see how it goes. Thank you for the replies

• Boebs likes this

#6 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 1,099 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2020 - 09:04 AM

Should be fine.
Id fruit and hope for the best.
After the first fruit then redunk.

I dont usally dunk right out the jars since i wait for decent size pins.
Almost a little invitro, after they grow and are pucked then dunk and roll
  • BorealGhost likes this

#7 BorealGhost

BorealGhost

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

Good news , I have pins on the cakes! I was surprised but some really thick pins with little brown-gold heads started popping up about a day ago. It's insane, probably the only thing I did right is properly PC my cakes. Everything else I did I made mistakes again and again and they just keep on trucking. One of the cakes even has a big old hole in the center from scooping out the mush. And it's the one popping out the most.

So I've read all of Roger Rabbits notes and he talks about putting Verm in the little divets of the cakes and hydrating them. I filled the hole with verm a while back and I'm wondering how frequently I should hydrate it now that they're pinning. 

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!