• Cooper Trouper, Coopdog, ethnobotanist420 and 2 others like this

#2 ethnobotanist420

ethnobotanist420

Welcome to the Machine

• OG VIP
  • 3,724 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2020 - 12:00 AM

These things are awesome! I’d love to get one someday... check out Patty Gurdy on YouTube... she kills it.

Edit: Here’s one of her songs:

[Direct Link]

Edited by ethnobotanist420, 11 June 2020 - 12:04 AM.

• Cooper Trouper, Coopdog and planetcaravan03 like this

#3 Coopdog

Coopdog

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 3,432 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 11 June 2020 - 02:29 AM

Seeing these things in videos, I almost have a sense that I would pick one up and run right off with it. I had an old Mandolin given to me 6-7 years ago, tuned it up (Never held one in my hands before and never seen any videos) I tuned it in sequence, not in pitch, and all of the sudden all these weird irish drinking songs just started coming out of it. I swear I had a past life with one. My wife said, "Man that is fucking weird... and kinda spooky to me!" It tunes completely different from a guitar, and I have had 40 years on the guitar. I played Mandolin better in half an hour than I ever played guitar in my life. It felt like getting back in touch with an old friend or coming across something that was meant to be in my life all along. Later I came to learn that I tuned it in 5ths which was a very common tuning for them back in the old days. 

I kind of think I could do the same with one of these, and actually inquired as to how much to get one built for me. They are not cheap! I also had an old time instrument given to me that is similar to a Dulcimer and was picked with a stick. Same thing. It just came to life for me. At the time I did not even know what Dulcimer tuning was. I am pretty sure I have had multiple lives with stringed instruments, because I play most of them now, and keeping up with my learning curves has kept me alive when the world has broke my heart more than I can say. Music can change your life (Save your life) for damn sure. Getting back into music is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself. I hope it keeps on working, because the world continues to break my heart despite it all. Music can heal it all though, most of the time. I suggest you look into getting one and learning how to play. IF you play any instruments, more power to you, and if you don't, do yourself a favor and pick one up. 

Edited by Coopdog, 11 June 2020 - 02:31 AM.

• mushit, Cooper Trouper, Wimzers and 1 other like this

#4 planetcaravan03

planetcaravan03

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 103 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 11:35 AM

Seeing these things in videos, I almost have a sense that I would pick one up and run right off with it. I had an old Mandolin given to me 6-7 years ago, tuned it up (Never held one in my hands before and never seen any videos) I tuned it in sequence, not in pitch, and all of the sudden all these weird irish drinking songs just started coming out of it. I swear I had a past life with one. My wife said, "Man that is fucking weird... and kinda spooky to me!" It tunes completely different from a guitar, and I have had 40 years on the guitar. I played Mandolin better in half an hour than I ever played guitar in my life. It felt like getting back in touch with an old friend or coming across something that was meant to be in my life all along. Later I came to learn that I tuned it in 5ths which was a very common tuning for them back in the old days. 

I kind of think I could do the same with one of these, and actually inquired as to how much to get one built for me. They are not cheap! I also had an old time instrument given to me that is similar to a Dulcimer and was picked with a stick. Same thing. It just came to life for me. At the time I did not even know what Dulcimer tuning was. I am pretty sure I have had multiple lives with stringed instruments, because I play most of them now, and keeping up with my learning curves has kept me alive when the world has broke my heart more than I can say. Music can change your life (Save your life) for damn sure. Getting back into music is by far the best thing I have ever done for myself. I hope it keeps on working, because the world continues to break my heart despite it all. Music can heal it all though, most of the time. I suggest you look into getting one and learning how to play. IF you play any instruments, more power to you, and if you don't, do yourself a favor and pick one up. 

It's weird, in a beautiful way, when an instrument comes to life in your hands. I have been "playing" guitar for around 20 years. I say playing loosely as I haven't progressed nearly as much as I think I should have. But whenever I tune up in DADGAD those Irish songs just flow right out. Even tuning in open chord tunings are amazing. Sometimes those alternative tuning just hit the right brainwave for magic. I think it's the drone strings that just do it.  I would love to have a hammer dulcimer. Check out Joshua Messick on YouTube. Holy crap that guy is amazing. I was gifted an electronic drum set a couple days ago for an early Father's Day gift from my wife and kids. The drums have always been my instrument of choice. I am finally at a place in my life where I have enough room to have one without upsetting the entire household and neighborhood. :biggrin:  

Edited by planetcaravan03, 16 June 2020 - 11:35 AM.

• Cooper Trouper likes this

#5 swayambhu

swayambhu

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 253 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 03:46 PM

Great tune but also fascinating to watch the hurdy gurdy man keeping tight time in spite of the shonky drumming;

[Direct Link]

• Cooper Trouper and planetcaravan03 like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!