• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:12 PM

A friend just sent me approximately 200 grams of dried Psychotria Carthaginensis leaves. Since this easy to grow cousin of Viridis thrives in cool climates, I'm going to perform an A/B extraction on it very soon and determine once and for all the DMT concentration of the leaf. Multiple sources have indicated a concentration ranging from 0.07% to 0.025%. I'm estimating that the yield will be somewhere in the 50 milligram range needed for a full trip. Wish me luck...:)

#2 safTman

safTman

easily distracted

• Free Member
  • 566 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 07:53 PM

Good Luck,
and Godspeed my young friend.
Let us know how it turns out.
:bow:

#3 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:26 PM

this is cool, cutting edge stuff. keep us posted. this is very important for the home cultivator, because the pc is much easier to grow in non tropical climes than the pv.

#4 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:08 AM

Some of the Australian boards talk of 1/4 the strength of P.viridis. Some P.viridis may be 0.25% or more. Good Luck.

#5 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:20 AM

understood Mycot. but, I havent seen such an extraction done before and this would be awesome to know actual results from a member here. Mars is pretty famous for his extractions already :)

the percentage of alkoloids isnt as important as knowing the process. the fact I have pv die off like most everyone else but my pc flourishes is good news for those who want to become self sufficient with different plants.

#6 llamabox

llamabox

Researcher

• OG VIP
  • 1,406 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:44 PM

Have you been able to get seeds germinated?

#7 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 21 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

me? i dont have any, but if i did i probably could if they werent too old. im waiting for some fresh pv berries to become available.

#8 mycot

mycot

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 376 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:14 PM

If you can locate someone with a plant and can get them to part with a couple leaves(leaf cuttings)(cut the leaves across one inch wide,many plantlets arise from each section) or stem cutting you'll be much more assured of a good result.

#9 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 22 September 2006 - 01:54 AM

that is a fine idea as well mycot. thanks for the input, and i will give that a try as well.

#10 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 22 September 2006 - 04:44 AM

I have a dozen half-buried Carth leaves putting out roots with a handful of sprouts popping up. Just crease the leaves in half to snap the main vein and bury then sideways so that half the leaf is above the soil surface. Loosely drape a pice of plastic wrap over the flower pot and spray the plants daily. Took a month to get seedlings...

#11 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 01:51 PM

Well, the results are in and they are not good. Carth has a very very low level of DMT in it. Below are the details of the extraction:

184grams PC/three pulls of 25% vinegar = 3650ml,
basified with 90grams of lye,
extracted with five pulls of 100ml naptha = 500ml,
evapped to a thick oily clear film in small glass baking pan,
oily film re-dissolved in 120ml of pure HOT vinegar,
defatted with four 30ml defats of toluene,
rebasified with 10 grams NaOH,
extracted with four 30ml pulls of naptha,
evapped in a small glass baking pan to a thin oily clear film,
oily film re-dissolved in 100ml of HOT vinegar,
defatted 3x with 100ml toluene (total 300ml),
rebasified with 8grams of lye,
extracted with three pulls of 100ml naptha = 300ml.
evapped to a speckled clear film,
mixed with dried parsley and smoked with negligible effects. Maybe a 10milligram effect at most.

Bummer. Carth is too weak to be of practical value. I have a good supply of my own home grown Viridis leaf. Maybe over Christmas I'll extract it and post pix of the extraction and results...

Attached Thumbnails

• carth2.jpg
  • carth3.jpg
  • carth1.jpg

• Doctor D likes this

#12 yahutli

yahutli

Mycophiliac

• Expired Member
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:30 PM

PV likes to be potted with good-quality leaf mold or compost and fertilized weakly with organic nutes. I've tried inorganics and soilless mixes, but the results pale in comparison to organics. It also likes iron, understandably since it grows in Fe-rich soils covered with rapidly-decomposing OM.

Here's a pic of the results...

Attached Thumbnails

• P viridis small.jpg

#13 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:49 AM

bummers, mars.
think you might try a different batch sometime, since plants vary so much ?

#14 Hippie3

Hippie3

DUNG DEALER

• Founders
  • 40,642 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

that's a pretty P. viridis plant there yah

i think it will be the first nomination for decembers' pic of the month contest
:bow:

Edited by Sidestreet, 06 September 2015 - 08:03 PM.

#15 Pedestrian

Pedestrian

Dreamspace Transient

• Expired Member
  • 572 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 12:32 PM

Thanks for the write up mars.

I just curious as to why there are so many steps in your extract. Is it to get a truly pure final product?

Do you think you might have lost some spice with all the pulls and re-dissolves?

be well
-Ped

#16 rocketman

rocketman

Mycotopiate

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 4,602 posts

Donator

Posted 04 December 2006 - 01:12 PM

Sorry to hear that Mars, I think maybe we should try and get a new batch if youre game.

rocket

#17 marsofold

marsofold

Mycotopiate

• Expired Member
  • 348 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:38 PM

I did two consecutive A/B extractions because I got goo on the first try as I fully expected. The one time I ever extracted Viridis I got goo even after a xylene defat, so rather than give up the yield I did the only thing possible. Which was to re-acidify with just a small amount of hot vinegar and defat again with lots of xylene, then basify/extract all over again. That worked with Viridis. Got white crystals that time. So I went straight to the goo to defat the concentrated acidified solution. It worked with Viridis, but not with Cartheginensis. Just ended up with a thin oily film. Even did a smoke test on that. Useless. So I have to conclude that there is nothing in Carth to pull out. Quite a bummer when you've got a thriving bunch of young Carth plants you had high hopes for.

I just curious as to why there are so many steps in your extract. Is it to get a truly pure final product?

#18 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 12,240 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:55 PM

Might it still be worthwhile if combined with an MAO inhibitor? (to take orally, obviously)

#19 Chaos

Chaos

Mocksvillian

• Expired Member
  • 426 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:33 AM

What about skipping the a/b and going straight to the base extract? Oh with a defat first.

It seems to be all the rage.

#20 tregar

tregar

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 648 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 10:20 PM

Sorry to hear about the super low yield on the PC mars.

Should know the dream results of a 250 gram PV extraction later, 6 liters of ph=4 acidified water from combined multiple crockpot simmers have been reduced down to 600 ml of concentrated acidic extract by using a slow simmer in two 2.5 liter corning ware stove pots with a fan blowing over them for evaporation of most of the water...the concentrated acidic extract for use in a 1 liter sep funnel -- next steps defat, then extraction, sodium bicarbonate ph = 8.5 water wash, evaporation/freezing/evaporation...will post results then -- peruvian vs. hawaiian, with the peruvian done first...very interested in a 100% pure form of xtals for use with harmine hcl orally for pseudo--ayahuasca visuals/sessions (harmine composes 69% of caapi brew, and was used successfuly in pure forum (harmine hcl) by sync, godofemptiness, drstrange, and delysid multiple times at the aya forum many years back, resulting in spectacular dreams with no loss of the 'spirit' of caapi. Foaf has taken 170mg of pure harmine and experienced no nausea, no appetite loss, was pleasant, fasted 5 hours after a dinner containing 8 oz cheese dip, beef enchiladas with cheese...experienced no headache, or any other problems...look forward to adding the 'light' or xtals eventually. Many years ago foaf experienced the 'classic' ayahuasca visuals on high dose acid (10 plus hits) which included Egyptian pyramids (seen in all their newness and majesty) made of what looked like gold bricks, surrounded by golden sands, dragons, serpents, angels made of white light, teaching voice, etc...this leads me to believe that sacred ayahuasca visuals and sessions may be made possible by the use of xtals in pure form from the plants just as well as taking the plant forms in a brew...have read Benny Shanon's 'Antipodes of the Mind' several times and recognize that this is very different from smoked dmt. Pure harmine or caapi on its own without dmt ( in larger than normal doses, but not recommended because it causes loss of balance and sea-sickness feelings as well as loss of appetite--foaf has been thru this twice) has also resulted in faint closed eye visuals made of dark greens and blues (not bright at all) which included visuals of a grand wooden boat on the sea, Spanish stone architecture and gardens, serpents, jaguar, people, even a spinning ufo...items relating to culture and nature--these visions were highly detailed, they just weren't bright....foaf can hardly stand the taste of real aya brew...like drinking muddy water and extreme bitterness at the same time...I have tremendous respect for this medicine.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!