• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 12:57 PM

Hey guys! Should I trim up the botttom layer of my plants? They pre flowered some .. well one is pre flowered forsure others went back. But lmk how much!!! I’m new so I don’t know how much or where do I get max later. I wanna keep the small nugs and stuff but after thinking I’m like nooooo.. lol I want good tight buds! idk if I should trip the top or big leaves or just the bottom. Lmk

Attached Thumbnails

• 2C73045B-A0FC-4CB7-AE5C-95487051608D.jpeg
  • 85C8CE31-2A1D-4051-9053-FAFAD93DF927.jpeg
  • 7F8EE9E1-38B5-497A-B326-9478AC4E73FA.jpeg
  • F7DFB2FF-7C60-4EB1-A207-797131DF7BA6.jpeg
  • 0A068253-896C-4F29-AAD3-1D7ED3B33389.jpeg
  • CFC2CB84-2CCB-456D-B7E8-053EA7BA7269.jpeg
  • 320536DA-BAA8-423B-80D4-67CDB3D385D7.jpeg
  • F7542E9D-DF75-45AD-BD8C-7441F4431D6E.jpeg

#2 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2020 - 01:14 PM

If you're growing outdoors, I personally would not do any pruning.

Wait for Skywatcher and Hyphaenation to weigh-in on this one as they are both expert outdoor gardeners.

The reason for pruning indoors is because there is usually no side lighting. The top lighting is not strong enough to penetrate through the canopy and the lower branches are starved for light. As a result, they tend to produce smaller buds.

The plant only has so much energy to commit to distribution of bud sites (indoors). Some growers prune-off all the the branches which will not receive adequate light. This forces the plant to commit the energy to the remaining potential sites and they tend to grow bigger as a result.

Outdoors - you have a seriously powerful lighting source so the game is changed. I prefer sunshine grown bud to indoor grown bud - personally.

• el_ronhub_bird, Skywatcher and FLASHINGROOSTER like this

#3 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 13 June 2020 - 09:09 PM

Your girls are looking good kidd.

They appear to be spread out reasonably well. I would not pinch anymore now, but you could still tie the branches down more horizontal to allow more upright growth to form. Be gentle and don't snap anything.

At this phase, it looks like you are seeing only preflower's. Unless these are auto's, we are just now hitting the longest days of sunlight, and you can still produce some good veg growth for flower support. When you see the flowers start packing tighter and beginning to clump, you can remove some of the old bottom leaves. I do not personally like to heavy prune for flower prep in the fall. Outdoors I see much bigger colas form when the entire plant is leafed and feeding the flowers.

I mostly remove old leaves or really small branches at the base.

I do not know what kind of nutes you are using, but the color looks good. I would start adding some fuels that add the food for flower, but not stop the veg foods quite yet.

• Myc, Coopdog, stonnerkidd and 1 other like this

#4 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 13 June 2020 - 10:21 PM

Your girls are looking good kidd.
They appear to be spread out reasonably well. I would not pinch anymore now, but you could still tie the branches down more horizontal to allow more upright growth to form. Be gentle and don't snap anything.
At this phase, it looks like you are seeing only preflower's. Unless these are auto's, we are just now hitting the longest days of sunlight, and you can still produce some good veg growth for flower support. When you see the flowers start packing tighter and beginning to clump, you can remove some of the old bottom leaves. I do not personally like to heavy prune for flower prep in the fall. Outdoors I see much bigger colas form when the entire plant is leafed and feeding the flowers.
I mostly remove old leaves or really small branches at the base.

I do not know what kind of nutes you are using, but the color looks good. I would start adding some fuels that add the food for flower, but not stop the veg foods quite yet.

I’m using fox farm happy frog nuts slow release organic everything. soil to nuts. Just coco perlite , forest grounds and I got the all purpose, veg , and flower pack. Like 4 lbs of each. Been adding and seems to be taking wellll!! Also got some more earth worm castings!! I make teas with the nuts and earth worms too. Thanks guys!
  • Skywatcher likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,463 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:43 AM

I like fox farms and use them myself. Grow Big with Big Bloom is a good fuel for now. Later in the beginning bloom stage you can start with Tiger Bloom. Their feeding charts are pretty good recommendations....

https://foxfarm.com/feeding-schedules

Edited by Skywatcher, 14 June 2020 - 08:49 AM.

#6 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

I like fox farms and use them myself. Grow Big with Big Bloom is a good fuel for now. Later in the beginning bloom stage you can start with Tiger Bloom. Their feeding charts are pretty good recommendations....

https://foxfarm.com/feeding-schedules

ahh yeah I’m trynna stick with dry fertilizer organic. That feeding schedule for me is too messy lol.

Edited by stonnerkidd, 14 June 2020 - 04:07 PM.

• Skywatcher likes this

#7 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 03:44 PM

hey guys i really need help! Please my plants have pre flowered and toooons of leafs and enegery went to that. im trynna trim and its going back to veg i think. i have trimmed some leafs that werent connected really to nugs but even then i still have tonnnns of new leafs. i notice they are in the colas! as i openup and dig into the plants i see alot more growth. but its back to veg.... the plant doesnt seem to know either to keep flowerjng and sugar up or veg. lol its stalled and veg i think! But anyways any tips or what to loooook for be helpful! i know take the small branches from bottom layer but i think its abit more then that.. i could be wrong! if my plants seem ok and good outside then yes! also!!! my one of my plants the leaves seem to be getting shiny? a bit hard??? the other plant same strain water and stuff they seem more alive and soft. just normal. The orher one seems idk if PH? nuts??? i gave it flower nuts but thats because it was 1-2 flowered. now thats its back im like shit..... lol veg schedule again... alot of learning this year on this! i love it . the picture below is after i trimmed up a bit! but damn doesnt loook like i really did a dent..

Attached Thumbnails

• 53FFE93A-AE44-4112-8B58-9B51140B7ED5.jpeg
  • F92659B4-3414-4F88-866A-74BEADF42E4F.jpeg
  • 1898E41C-4B42-4723-9D97-C3BED354060C.jpeg
  • 360E54D3-BC5D-48A8-A049-26EEBBFBF650.jpeg

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 June 2020 - 04:25 PM

I would leave those precious treasures to do their thing.

Don't worry about the leaves. They are solar panels which convert light into nutrition.

It's still early in the season yet. Relax and let the plants do what they've learned to do over the thousands of years leading up to your personal adventure. Nature doesn't need much of a guiding hand my friend. Just the occasional nudge.

• Coopdog, PJammer24, Skywatcher and 2 others like this

#9 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 09:56 PM

so they seem ok?? i trimed some fan leaves but looks about same! had a buddy who grow here in LA at a legit grow and he pointed out some spots or key points. thank you guys tho! i was freaking out thinking my nugs or whatever be not as good! but last few weeks i notice its stop shooting up and alottttt ton of leaves and fans and branch action. took care of it and now its alll good! i never wanted to strip the plant i love the oragnic bushy look. i just worried because i had some leaves on a plant turn like hard and shiny??? idk they seems not soft and stuff as the other same plannt?? i feed them all same water and nutz??? Idk maybe i need to mix Ph better. i thoight maybe bugs too??? but no. or i thought i had toooo many leaves and some would roit away or whatever. my plant was telling me something!!! Lol the others 2 big girls are fine. but one the shine of the leaves has me in question
  • Coopdog likes this

#10 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 581 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:21 AM

They look perfectly fine, they're just trying to outgrow their brief adventure into blooming. If you had started them indoors in January-ish you could've have harvested your plants twice or grown two separate crops. A friend in your part of the world gets a smaller very oily harvest in late May/early June. He usually cuts the kolas back to a certain point and them trims any remaining flowers from the plant. After a week, the plant is growing like crazy towards the big fall harvest in Oct/Nov.

If you are in a hot and sunny part of LA, you might consider giving your pots some shade from direct sun. In hot areas, direct sunlight on black plastic pots can "cook" your roots. Even just leaning a piece of plywood against the pots would work to protect them.

Keep up the good work!

Btw, shiny leaves are fine.
  • Hash_Man, Coopdog and stonnerkidd like this

#11 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:36 AM

few! well things are looking good! they got thirsty for a few days with the heat!!! had to water every day! lol soaked em so every other Day now and alof!!! lol gawd dawmn lol. Things are coming to a end fho as i notice its flower time for all!!!! Dont think i need to add any more nuts??? i added a bunch of flower and veg mix oganic blend nuts and added some hand fulls on top dress.. they dont seem to yellow and i dont wsnna get nut burn. think i almost got one with one plant. so ima just water! Might add some worm wasting tho! ill post pics soon!

#12 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:25 PM

hey guys! so my vanilla frosting they are taking off on me! but im worried i may get loose buds on some :/ i have 3 of this kind and size. but one is ahead of rest in flower. this plant has smaller leaves all around.
and my #2 looks beauitfullll i think ideal and has long big leaves and bushing up. but when THEY ALL bushed up i didnt know what to take off. they already pre Flowered on me so sooooooo much came out. and now that it had pre flowered again its crazy! lol mayeb they are just stacking up crazy nice??? anyways just wanna little help and point the right way! Ima give it last feedings soon this week all purpose and flower. any tips on where or what to do with so many leaves! i know its gunna bush and to leave most but i just can imagine theres some points or whatever i can take off to help the buds! I havent been de leafing the bigs ones like i did at first.

Attached Thumbnails

• 5097DD40-A3F4-496C-87C3-4451E53AF18D.jpeg
  • 744DA5E2-515A-467C-B433-D28A1D161CE4.jpeg
  • 2136C4A5-F733-4AB3-9D5E-B1847E836DE9.jpeg
  • 92D24650-213C-4FB7-82AA-BBEA0A27F9A0.jpeg
  • 5A464A35-C737-4A43-A6B9-EA1FD5C55B5F.jpeg
  • 4C21ACD4-4790-472D-BD3F-9B667D50471F.jpeg
  • A439CDA3-C940-420F-967F-B7F5C7AA973A.jpeg
  • A550CCF1-AAC4-4590-8F41-39B4A718459E.jpeg
  • 2813A68C-DE5C-4DBA-AA60-1FA577E54DB3.jpeg
  • 3AB11948-74B7-4197-8492-0F6F9F807EB6.jpeg
  • 6FFEE474-D803-4519-90BB-9CF7FCCEAFDD.jpeg

#13 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:27 PM

last pics. so first couple pics are #1 plant then #2 and last couple #3

Attached Thumbnails

• 6BA92500-EC0A-4602-BB30-70906F52F9A8.jpeg
  • DD3513EE-EEEC-4E30-A3B1-26B13343CB3B.jpeg
  • BDE5C787-0880-4DAC-942E-205ABBB7DEF7.jpeg

#14 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:33 PM

over all view. these vanillas frosting havent really gave me any bug problems! but on the bottom bottom 1/3 portion some leaves die and fall off??? should i de leaf and get more air down there??? i get good wind here. im not to worried tho about the bottom nugs. seems like that natures way of saying bye bye hahah. too much fruit on top maybe. lol

Attached Thumbnails

• AA5BDD94-9A47-4189-B237-3D4E41B41553.jpeg
  • 0D9F7BCA-0569-42D3-955C-7358400E2CD7.jpeg
  • 736481F2-03BD-4F69-B856-4BA270CCF792.jpeg
  • E3D91C36-F485-46D7-9457-E358507690BF.jpeg
  • 33E658F7-98F1-4804-98E1-A55780AA13AD.jpeg
  • A2E8317A-3F3B-4EF3-88B6-919C386F6A0F.jpeg
  • 4D6E7F04-B656-4156-891E-4D2D551C9E59.jpeg

#15 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,336 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 July 2020 - 01:55 PM

The colas that get the most light will produce denser buds... The ones that are in shadow will be looser... I would cut anything that is being heavily shaded by the flowers above it.

It is not uncommon for plants of the same strain to have different growing traits... If you are growing them from seed, there are different phenotypes that will have different traits expressed... Some may remain more stout while others will stretch out... Same as when you cross two humans... They may have a son that is 5'10" and an Amazon daughter that is 6'4" tall... These are likely different phenotype being expressed in your garden and does not mean that one is "behind" the others in terms of maturity...

#16 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 29 July 2020 - 05:54 PM

The colas that get the most light will produce denser buds... The ones that are in shadow will be looser... I would cut anything that is being heavily shaded by the flowers above it.

It is not uncommon for plants of the same strain to have different growing traits... If you are growing them from seed, there are different phenotypes that will have different traits expressed... Some may remain more stout while others will stretch out... Same as when you cross two humans... They may have a son that is 5'10" and an Amazon daughter that is 6'4" tall... These are likely different phenotype being expressed in your garden and does not mean that one is "behind" the others in terms of maturity...

cool yeah!!! forsho yeah i was telling buddies about that!! ii get different smells from each. they are similar but different. hahaha i love it and the different structures. cool and hmmm yeah the bottols buds dont really get any light. might have to do some serious trimminh. lol thanks for the tips!

#17 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:10 PM

ok so trimmed alot today! a wholeee bunch of little toos trynna grow on the bottom i got rid of. i noticed all the buds on bottom bottom were drying and loose and so i just got rid anyrbing down there. i understand more and more as i go! now i understand that i need to really kill those early or just have faith that taking em out will make the top better. bet it does! after trimming up and you can see it looks efficent now snd ideal and healthy. alot of work in the sun tho!!!!! ahahahahaha omg on scond water bottle rn. saved the trimming in freezer for hash! alot of small buds i didnt notice..... i lacked on de deaflinh and stuff. and it pre flowered on me and just made it a messs. ahaahah. i know so much now tho!!!!! i just want like 3-4 oz from each plant and i be happy! they in 20 gallons so hopefully. ima so sad if alot of my buds end of dying or whatever

#18 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 04:13 PM

some pics! still needa a little more trimming i think but i dont wanna do too much

Attached Thumbnails

• D1F89967-5CF2-49A4-A5E6-21218D883B53.jpeg
  • 3E937D74-AAE8-46FE-B7DD-CD30FB40A530.jpeg
  • 6B1F61B2-2C88-47BE-87C6-BDC2F0924E31.jpeg
  • 76D0B8B7-5EDA-42ED-87E9-CD349E4CF635.jpeg
  • 6A166D95-17A4-4D87-87BD-3973070484D9.jpeg
  • BB98E671-D433-4F34-ABE7-F6D9BED0B20A.jpeg

#19 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,330 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 July 2020 - 07:31 PM

I so admire your enthusiasm, I could just hug you may friend.

The best thing you can do is to provide shade to the pots - a shallow fence that can block sun from directly hitting the root-ball and soil - but not blocking light from the plant.

What you won't learn from the Marijuana Horticulture book is that the soil needs care just like a fungal substrate. The plant is the litmus paper - or indicator of a healthy soil population. Your "nutrients" are actually microbe food - who in turn, convert the "nutrients" into nutrition for the plant - with an agreeable exchange. The plant secretes favorable compounds from its roots in order to establish this handshake.

Cooked soil - think of sitting outside in a black t-shirt all-summer long - will not be healthy. This may explain some of the plant stresses I've skimmed through in your notes.

I laugh but I have to ask:

Do you have children?

If not, your wife is going to be one of the most cared-for ladies on the planet. Ultrasounds 3-times daily up until delivery. Poor gal. ;)

• coorsmikey, stonnerkidd and YoshiTrainer like this

#20 stonnerkidd

stonnerkidd

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 413 posts

Posted 30 July 2020 - 08:54 PM

I so admire your enthusiasm, I could just hug you may friend.

The best thing you can do is to provide shade to the pots - a shallow fence that can block sun from directly hitting the root-ball and soil - but not blocking light from the plant.
What you won't learn from the Marijuana Horticulture book is that the soil needs care just like a fungal substrate. The plant is the litmus paper - or indicator of a healthy soil population. Your "nutrients" are actually microbe food - who in turn, convert the "nutrients" into nutrition for the plant - with an agreeable exchange. The plant secretes favorable compounds from its roots in order to establish this handshake.
Cooked soil - think of sitting outside in a black t-shirt all-summer long - will not be healthy. This may explain some of the plant stresses I've skimmed through in your notes.

I laugh but I have to ask:
Do you have children?
If not, your wife is going to be one of the most cared-for ladies on the planet. Ultrasounds 3-times daily up until delivery. Poor gal. ;)

thank you! and yes hugs all around! ahha no im not married yet:/ or children but soon! yes! i want start a family of my own so bad ahahha. soon tho i got time! Im 23 and trynna find a good chill mexican girl ideal ahaha. I hope. but yesss makes sense what you said!!!! makes alottttt of sense because rn the water is just going thru so fast and its breathable fabric and hot sun is just sitting cooking. if i had some shade it be more ideal temps down there......... (: thank you! now i see how a green house of some type would work wonders... bug control, light, others. and i added a cake of fungi from my mazatapec brf cakes. just took a gamble. didnt think it could hurt. hahaah.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!