• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:46 AM

I think it would be beneficial to have a thread focused on showing photos of different types of contaminations

I'll start off with this- And post some photos of some inteeeeeeresting looking agar plates later this evening

IMG-0393.jpg

Bottom of my unlined tub- and there were splotches of that blue/grey (that I think is mycelium bruising due to stress from some contam) on the top of the tub as well- That yellow bit clearly looks off too.

Lets see your photos of your attempts to grow uninvited volunteers!

Edited by Severian, 18 June 2020 - 11:47 AM.

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,369 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 18 June 2020 - 01:02 PM

This is a site I have found very helpful over the years for identifying contaminates. At this point I have personally seen a lot of these and no longer need the reference but it is helpful for people who are dealing with things for the first time...

http://en.psilosophy...om_culture.html

Just fyi in response to a previous post of yours, at least I think it was you... I never use liners in my tubs... I have found that I still get a lot of side and bottom pins whether I use one or not... I just pull the sub out of the tub while harvesting, remove them, put it back in the tub, and pour water in for a dunk... I use smaller tubs and bags so it is easier to pull out and handle than if I were doing a monster size tub... The mushrooms on the sides and the bottom will at times get a flatter appearance but it all works the same... Since I dunk in the tub and since the liner has never clung to the substrate very well for me and I end up with side pins anyway, I have never had much use for a liner... I feel like it is just an unneeded step that's a pain in the groin that I don't care to deal with... The liner always gets in the way for me and is a pain when I am trying to add and pour off water for the dunks...

• Skywatcher, FLASHINGROOSTER and Severian like this

#3 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 326 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:48 PM

Thank you for that! 

I noticed that the tray I had with the liner in it still got massive side/bottom pinning. And the mono I have that is unlinered seems to have relatively few- I've read somewhere that a level surface of the sub has something to do with promoting more even evap and thus less side/bottom pins but I've yet to actually create a level surface to a tub- Make that a priority next time.

• PJammer24 likes this

#4 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:26 AM

Tried to germinate my spore syringe. Not sure what this is, did the spores even try to germinate? should I have tried transfering or were these doomed to begin with?

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200830_193925.jpg

• Boebs likes this

#5 Boebs

Boebs

Psychonaut

• VIP
  • 999 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 04 September 2020 - 05:33 AM

That looks kinda like yeast,
I had the same thing happen to me with my pan cyan spores.
Could be the wrong medium for your spores.

#6 LIFELESSDEAD

LIFELESSDEAD

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 08:24 PM

Really, I was kinda suspecting my syringe, I bought the cheapest off the internet, it's a pda I'm using btw.

So I took a bunch of contam pics last to add to this discussion. Please comment on if you agree or disagree with what im describing, I'm a noob making observations.

Pic 1 shows what I believe to be mycelium and cobweb mold sharing the dish.
Pic 2 more mold and mycelium with a few baby aborts
Pic 3 is some good mycelium with a splotch if trich in the middle.. could this one still be good. Splotches up top are reflections.
Pic 4 transfer of (mycelium? I hope) out of contaminated dish
Pic 5 mold right?
Pic 6 I think it's all cobweb, weird rope formation circles
Pic 7 left over agar that went bad, ketchup cups still contam free, bad seal on mason jar maybe.

Hope this helps us all thanks

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200904_162603.jpg
  • 20200904_161213.jpg
  • 20200904_160903.jpg
  • 20200904_160753.jpg
  • 20200904_160724.jpg
  • 20200904_191827.jpg
  • 20200904_160538.jpg

#7 FunnyFarmer

FunnyFarmer

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:46 PM

I found this grayish white mycelium growing next to shroom spore and wondering if anyone can ID it. (Cobweb?) I pulled it off the cake and now a day later that "contamed" material looks better than the cake. Did I panic over nothing? Since it seemed to be doing better I put it into it's own tub and will keep an eye on it.

DSC01502 (Medium).JPG

#8 ArcaneFungus

ArcaneFungus

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 07:36 PM

Is this contamination? The culture itself is looking a reddish maybe pink color, the spores are from some penis envy uncut, as I have not grown this species before I dont know if such coloration is natural or not

Attached Thumbnails

• 20200916_203349.jpg

#9 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 1,041 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:04 PM

This patch started out the size of a quarter but I allowed 3rd flush to finish and by that time it looked like this.....
20200918_091847.jpg

Pretty common green mold, always hits near the end of 3rd flush for me or midway threw 4th....

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!