• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

I have been waiting for these jars to fully colonize for about a month. Some were ready about a week ago, but some jars the mycellium pulled away from the jars and the color was a little off yellow in a patch. Some formed little pinheads but didn't really look like pins. Here are two photos:

IMG_1324.JPG IMG_1325.JPG

Advice much appreciated, but I have a bad feeling....

• sandman likes this

#2 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:13 AM

yea its wet bubble (mycogone/white mold)  or possibly dry bubble (verticillium) hard to tell in a humid environment they make similar looking bubbles but more likely it is wet bubble especially with that white funky carpet growth that is pretty signature white mold/mycogone. Yeet it at a racist.

Edited by sandman, 25 June 2020 - 11:16 AM.

• Robinsparrow and planetcaravan03 like this

#3 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:13 PM

I tried so hard to keep it clean! I may only have 4 uncontaminated jars...really disappointed.

#4 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:43 PM

Its a dirty syringe most likely. Someone took a print from an infected mushroom. At this stage if it was sterilization botch up you would be looking at cobweb or green mold or bacteria. Probably show up in all of the jars.

Edited by sandman, 25 June 2020 - 12:44 PM.

• Robinsparrow likes this

#5 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 12:52 PM

what does "Yeet it at a racist" mean, Sandman?

• sandman likes this

#6 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2020 - 01:12 PM

1f1.large.jpg

• Ronald Ray Gun, Robinsparrow, 2Ape2 and 1 other like this

#7 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:03 PM

I have to disagree with the syringe being dirty otherwise all of robinsparrows jars would be contaminated with the same contaminates.

If only four jars are uncontaminated that means it was picked up (cross contaminated) at some point in the inoculation process and the syringe is now dirty but started out clean.

Well, atleast you have 4 cakes to fruit for prints and then just reuse the syringe once its sterilized.

P.s try to catch the pun sandman lol

Edited by FunG, 25 June 2020 - 05:08 PM.

#8 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 June 2020 - 05:14 PM

(s)he will probably see the others start to experience the contamination soon enough.

• PJammer24 likes this

#9 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:31 AM

Yeah, thanks. At least it wasn't me, but it is very frustrating. This is my second try. First was very weak strain, and now this! Maybe back to just meditation....

• sandman likes this

#10 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 08:37 AM

Yes, I am seeing the same exact contamination in some of the others. It comes out as the whole jar gets filled with mycellium. And I bought it from a reputable place (nr.1 rated!).

• PJammer24 likes this

#11 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:01 AM

well they have to get their spores from some various illicit growers it's not like they can have a lab at their office and grow for prints. So ultimately it's on those growers. Who knows how all that stuff works but you can imagine not all of them are after pure quality.

• coorsmikey and PJammer24 like this

#12 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:03 AM

Don't give up. We can get you success I know it. 3rd try is the charm friend.

• PJammer24 and Robinsparrow like this

#13 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:24 AM

The worst thing you can do is give up! My first attempt i lost all 20 jars i had going. It took me months to see my first fruit. But when i did, it was like Christmas morning!
  • sandman, PJammer24 and planetcaravan03 like this

#14 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:30 AM

NEVER GIVE UP!

#15 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:38 AM

Yeah, but so much depends on the supplier; I do everything carefully, but in the end it's out of my hands!

#16 mushit

mushit

Shit Lover

• OG VIP
  • 2,238 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:59 AM

There will come a time when you won't have to rely on a supplier by making your own prints. :biggrin:

#17 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:00 PM

It's not really out of your hands! You can order a print instead of a syringe and then learn how to make agar plates (petri dishes or even agar in little tupperwares) Then you can know for sure you are working with good mycelium when you inoculate stuff. Sounds complicated but it can be no more different than making a different type of jar if you do no pour style little tupperwares or wide mouth half pints or something of agar. Catsandbats has some good writeups. 

• ElPirana and Robinsparrow like this

#18 Robinsparrow

Robinsparrow

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 32 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:59 PM

I think I'm still at the point where I should just be getting the spores from syringes. And I did use sporeworks! I appreciate what you are all saying (and offering) but I have limited space and I know the more steps there are in the process the more chance of contamination, especially when I'm so new at this. I can try sporeworks again and I guess tell them what happened.

#19 Ronald Ray Gun

Ronald Ray Gun

Woodchip fever

• Black VIP
  • 533 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:27 PM

I think I'm still at the point where I should just be getting the spores from syringes. And I did use sporeworks! I appreciate what you are all saying (and offering) but I have limited space and I know the more steps there are in the process the more chance of contamination, especially when I'm so new at this. I can try sporeworks again and I guess tell them what happened.

Be vague. Don’t tell them you tried to germinate and contaminated. Say something like spores viewed under microscope couldn’t be seen due to contaminates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • sandman, PJammer24, Boebs and 1 other like this

#20 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:53 PM

Be vague. Don’t tell them you tried to germinate and contaminated. Say something like spores viewed under microscope couldn’t be seen due to contaminates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

True story, someone once returned a pre-sterilized mix bag that they had ordered with the syringe due to contamination..... some people dont think before acting like the 100pounds of horse manure customs seized on me because it was American.....those racists!

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!