4 replies to this topic

#1 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:00 PM

So.

Wasn't sure where to put this thread. Here  in edible fungi? Or over in cookbook?

Anyway

I've been eyeing (or tounging rather) this possibility for some time now, on way back burner, but, given that life has decided I must move from my current living situation, and that some of one of my lions mane jars begun contaminating and the rest are fully colonized (started on 4/9) it seemed like a good time to harvest the jars, and begin the dehydrating process.

Now, the possibility I speak of is entirely due to the similarity between this

Tempeh.jpg

"Tempeh"

and this

IMG-0468.jpg

IMG-0474.jpg

So, naturally, the first thing I do after harvesting these guys IMG-0466.jpg

I immediately try this IMG-0479.jpg

I pan fried them in coconut oil with a bit of salt- the little ones turn out sort of nutty tasting cuz of the short grain brown rice, and 'chippy' in a nice way

(Yes that is tamari in a petri dish. Totally unnecessary btw- or rather maybe the salt on the Mycrice was unnecessary. Either or)

but the thicker ones stayed slightly moist on the inside, more like tofu, and have an almost cheese like flavor-

There are plenty of possibilities here. Overnight marinades? This is just the beginning.

Also, I'm thinking that if this is desirable on a larger scale (I only made 8 qt jars, and thats definitely not enough to munch for any period of time) that I'd want to find larger, thinner bags to colonize, as the shape of the qt jars makes cutting tempeh like slices slightly difficult.

Edited by Severian, 27 June 2020 - 03:02 PM.

• Skywatcher, DonShadow, Moonless and 1 other like this

#2 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:05 PM

omg this looks fantastic! What containers/bags did you use to get the flat bricks? How did you inoculate?

#3 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 464 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:07 PM

omg this looks fantastic! What containers/bags did you use to get the flat bricks? How did you inoculate, LC?

#4 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 235 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:59 PM

Inoculated quart jars on 4/9 with LC

Fruits grown out invitro, which took up more/less half the jar, which were then easily removed by sticking my hand inside the jar and pulling the mushroom out, then taking a scalpel, slicing the remaining bits into 1/4s, and shaking them out. 

I used a kitchen knife to cut them into slices.

The first photo is actually a photo of tempeh, which is soybeans inoculated with a culture which if I recall correctly is a form of aspergillus

#5 DonShadow

DonShadow

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 489 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 27 June 2020 - 08:45 PM

This is great. I’ve also done this in a variety of ways... also makes for great high-protein vegetarian burger patties if you grind/crumble and mix with egg and spices.
  • Moonless and Severian like this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!