13 replies to this topic

#1 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:57 PM

Salty is back at it again!

Came and went like a breeze through the trees, my old device that I logged on from has not been in a condition to be used for some time.

That being said, my first attempt at yielding these perspective-altering fungi went.. fairly well I'd say! Considering my working conditions at the time, it comes to little surprise that I lost a couple bulk sub totes to contamination, but not all was lost [for which I am grateful for if it weren't for the knowledge I obtained here, I may not have had a yield at all! So for that, I thank you all.] The GT's that I spawned in sterilized rye berries and transferred to coir/verm sub /and fruited/ graced my partner and I with perhaps not the most plentiful yield, but provided us with experiences that we didn't even realize we needed until we were in the moment.

So in hindsight, I'm not upset about the totes that were lost to contams. One of these days I will try to attempt to retrieve the  photos from my mostly-broken device to share, as we had 2 BIGBOIS in the second flush in comparison to the others that grew near them. One weighing in at 121g fresh, the other weighed in at 96g fresh.

Both of which I proceeded to chop chop chop into a cup, squeezed about... 6 limes I think it were, and let it sit for a couple minutes before adding approx 4fl oz of Kombucha Tea.. gave it a swirl.. then said "teach me" and pounded it down.

That... I have no regerts for doing that. The visuals were beautiful. The flora around me in the yard (located on a private drive set back in a densely wooded/marshy area leading up to a river) seemed to grow and change in color from gentle blues to purples and around to subtle greens and yellows. Closing my eyes and listening to various notes played by my partner on her Keyboard in a sort of ambience..-esque manner resulted in some magnificent sceneries; from zooming through clouds to floating through what seemed like a body of what I could breath in (all the while retaining the cognitive notion that I am NOT a living species capable of flight or aquatic respiration)

About 2 hours after what felt like a peak, I started to become more and more self aware of my hallucinations and even procured the understanding of ways I could manipulate my visual experience through sheer desire to do so. Almost sort of like.... Augmenting my reality to the way I want it. The way I see fit.

The afterglow lasted for months. I felt a whole new connection with nature and the world around me. I was able to shed the negativity that plagued the back of my mind, and got closer to becoming the person that I want to be. The Teachers taught me the path I needed to take to become the person I want to be.

I became more determined, ambitious, and driven to achieve my goals and attain the future self that I caught but a silhouette of. The monotony of my work days as a CNC Machine operator seemed to melt away. I started to rather enjoy the line of work. Taking more pride in the field and more pride in my capabilities to do well and put in my 150% every single day I hit the time clock. I found myself being able to pull longer shifts more often with little to no mental repercussion from a 12+ hour work day. It really was a perspective-altering experience...

WHICH BRINGS ME BACK AROUND TO MY HEADLINER  :biggrin: 

Since then, I have procured a couple of Liquid culture genes..

z-strain..

Blue Meanie cube..

GT..

B+..

and Mazatapec.. [I like to abbreviate it with MZTP personally..]

BM, GT and MZTP are currently spawning.. the meanies should be ready for birthing in a few days.. GT's should be ready soon after by the looks of things

[pics to come]

And just like I have read time and time again, MZTP is notoriously taking 'er sweet ol' time. And that's okay. One of the things that the GT's taught me in my previous experience is that the crossing of paths will happen when it is time to happen.

GOING FORWARD

I intend to begin working with Agar, as I will shortly have a sanitary and secure place to dedicate to the more sensitive tactics surrounding working with Agar.

I also intend to move away from coco coir as my substrate, and replace it with that sweet sweet "field chocolate" that I've heard makes such an impact on the yield and potency.

ON A SIDE NOTE

If I am misusing terminologies regarding the production stages/titles, feel free to correct me as I tend to see terminologies be used in various ways. 

What I thought the core order of process for most teks seemed to be were:

[inoculation]

Germination/Spawning
Birthing
[casing]

Colonizing

Fruiting

I get that NOT EVERY tek is going to follow the same "order of operations" so to speak, this just seemed to be a common "core concept" I noticed while studying various teks and their processes of other individuals.

THE  WRAP-UP

I do apologize for the lengthy -ish ramble thread.. I simply felt that I would like to get back on here now that I have another stable device to post/upload photos from that's not a mobile device and share my experience with the community that provided me with the knowledge I needed to achieve an end product.

If there's any further recommendations to how I should conduct my operations, I would be happy to receive them and any/all constructive criticism.

Here's a couple pics of  my spawn bags from a couple days ago. I need to go check them out again and take more photos.

BM IMG_1244.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

GT IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1239.JPG

The MZTP, as expected, is spawning slower than the BM's and GT's, so I don't have any interesting photos as of right now to show for, but with the little activity I have seen, I can't imagine it being too much longer before more growth becomes visible.

More pics to come in time. If you got this far, thank you for taking the time to read my post in it's entirety, I appreciate you  :biggrin:  :wub:  :meditate:  :victorious:  :thumbs_up2:

• Arathu, p2p, Boebs and 2 others like this

#2 p2p

p2p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:56 PM

Interesting that I have not noticed any difference in time for spawning GT and Mazatapec.

I did use an isolated strain on agar for grain spawn, so maybe this is the reason.

Manure will certainly increase the yield, but I find it a bit messy.

Trying to work out a way to pasteurize the manure instead of sterilizing it.

I prefer to incubate the grain spawn at about 77-78 F. I think it produces more consistent results.

• Salty117 likes this

#3 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:45 PM

You can begin pasteurization very simply if you have a decent size beverage cooler you are willing to get dirty.
  • coorsmikey, Arathu, Salty117 and 1 other like this

#4 Arathu

Arathu

Dirtmaker

• OG VIP
  • 5,993 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 06:54 PM

You can begin pasteurization very simply if you have a decent size beverage cooler you are willing to get dirty.

Truth right there...I still use the old Army hot case I started with....works like a charm and I don't mind it getting dirty.

Old coolers work very well too......IME

A

• Salty117 likes this

#5 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 28 June 2020 - 08:17 PM

I've been using one I got from goodwill a few years ago. Just recently bought a sous vide and made a little cooler for that. I'm getting fancy now.

A simple pillowcase method works fine but I'm tired of squeezing water out of my sub trying to get back to field capacity.

#6 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:20 PM

I intend to pasteurize the manure I procure, I've just been trying to decide which method to go with, whether using a pillowcase and a cooler or heating it in a foil tray in the oven.

I read somewhere that the pillowcase method removes some of the "nutes" that sustains healthier mycelium, but if it's been working for you guys then I don't see the harm in giving it a whirl.

As far as the mess goes... if the end justifies the means then that is simply the cost to procure the best fruits of my labor!  :biggrin:

• pastyoureyes likes this

#7 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:05 PM

I intend to pasteurize the manure I procure, I've just been trying to decide which method to go with, whether using a pillowcase and a cooler or heating it in a foil tray in the oven.

I read somewhere that the pillowcase method removes some of the "nutes" that sustains healthier mycelium, but if it's been working for you guys then I don't see the harm in giving it a whirl.
As far as the mess goes... if the end justifies the means then that is simply the cost to procure the best fruits of my labor!  :biggrin:

That's a good point, I don't think much about the nutes I'm losing from the pillow case method since i still get acceptable results. The bigger issue for me in practice was the water bath throwing off the moisture content and having to squeeze the sub out trying to get back to field capacity.

You could solve both of these issues by pasteurizing properly hydrated sub in food saver type vacuum seal bags with a weight on top. It would also mean you dont have to sacrifice the cooler assuming you dont accidentally pop a bag.
  • Salty117 likes this

#8 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

I'll add these to my notes and see how my end results turn out  :smile: 

I intend to keep track of not only what seems to work well, but also what seems to hinder to try to avoid making hinderances in the future

#9 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:52 PM

I have procured roughly 45lbs of manure, I'm off to get the pasteurization rolling along  :biggrin:

#10 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:25 PM

One no squeeze/drain bulk recipe for 6qts.

3 Qt HPOO
1.5 Qt Verm
5.3 oz COIR
1.5 C worm castings
1/4 C gypsum
10.5 C boiling water

Mix dry ingredients in ice chest, dump in boiling water, let sit 6? hours.

For my purposes, i use warm water instead of boiling. After 15 min or so, I put the bulk into 1/2 gallon jars and PC for 2 hrs. When cool, I put them on my shelf until I need them. I can use the bulk as it is or sometimes, add a quart of soaked and squeezed straw per 1/2 gallon of bulk in a bag and PC together.

Edited by YoshiTrainer, 01 July 2020 - 06:25 PM.

• Salty117 likes this

#11 YoshiTrainer

YoshiTrainer

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 422 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:38 PM

I forgot, if you soak grains like WBS or others, save the soak water in jars in your freezer. When it is time to make your bulk, use some of the soak water as a % of you 10.5 C boiling water.
  • Salty117 likes this

#12 Salty117

Salty117

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:23 PM

I forgot, if you soak grains like WBS or others, save the soak water in jars in your freezer. When it is time to make your bulk, use some of the soak water as a % of you 10.5 C boiling water.

Interesting note, thank you for this  :biggrin:

• YoshiTrainer likes this

#13 p2p

p2p

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:25 PM

You could solve both of these issues by pasteurizing properly hydrated sub in food saver type vacuum seal bags with a weight on top. It would also mean you dont have to sacrifice the cooler assuming you dont accidentally pop a bag.

I pasteurize in bags using steam. Substrate always maintains the original moisture content and never loses any nutrients.

Definitely a good way to do it.

You can even spawn in the bag and place the bag into a tub. Once the substrate is colonized, simply cut the bag to expose the substrate.

This reduces the exposure to contaminants until substrate is colonized.

You can use regular bags, 2 mil is good enough and they can withstand the steam.

Edited by p2p, 01 July 2020 - 11:31 PM.

#14 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:06 AM

One no squeeze/drain bulk recipe for 6qts.
3 Qt HPOO
1.5 Qt Verm
5.3 oz COIR
1.5 C worm castings
1/4 C gypsum
10.5 C boiling water
Mix dry ingredients in ice chest, dump in boiling water, let sit 6? hours.
For my purposes, i use warm water instead of boiling. After 15 min or so, I put the bulk into 1/2 gallon jars and PC for 2 hrs. When cool, I put them on my shelf until I need them. I can use the bulk as it is or sometimes, add a quart of soaked and squeezed straw per 1/2 gallon of bulk in a bag and PC together.

Here's a simpler poo based alternative recipe for 6 qt:

1/3 brick of coir (equals roughly 2 quarts when expanded assuming the brick is the same size as eco earth brand.

2 quarts of your choice of manure.

This leaves room for 2 quarts of spawn or 1 quart of spawn and 1 quart of casing.

If you want to use regular ziploc bags for pasteurizing be sure to do the water displacement method.

https://youtu.be/iULF9JCR3zg

The worst that could happen with ziplocs is the bag opens up. This wouldnt be a huge problem if it's just a simple water bath but I wouldnt trust it with my expensive sous vide machine.

Edited by pastyoureyes, 02 July 2020 - 08:06 AM.

• YoshiTrainer likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!