• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:10 AM

I  have included some pics, do I have enough holes? There are holes in the top, just none in the very bottom

I'm not seeing much action. I mist and fan five or six times a day. Temp is 77F

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_3929.JPG
  • 100_3933.JPG

• Toybox78 likes this

#2 Toybox78

Toybox78

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:19 AM

I have included some pics, do I have enough holes? There are holes in the top, just none in the very bottom

I'm not seeing much action. I mist and fan five or six times a day. Temp is 77F

That's plenty of holes, these hardest thing you will ever have to do is wait, fan and mist 3x is plenty even if it's 9o degrees , if the is moister running down the inside of the tub walls your good sometimes those cakes sab sit for 3 weeks depending on what spores popped. Don't think of it as comparing your results to a set of stats you read, think of it as your getting to know your specific grow , there are allot of variables at play so my advice is kinda slow down notice changes, so you know what you get for your process and adjust from there.
Like I said waiting is the hardest thing and it seems tote at that step

Your friendly neighborhood toybox
  • Zorkloin likes this

#3 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:25 PM

Ok, I've had faster fruiting in the past. But I see what you say I don't wanna be a broken record, but I'm misting the sides as much as possible and fannning about fifty strokes every four hours or so... that sound about right?

Edited by Zorkloin, 28 June 2020 - 01:27 PM.

#4 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2020 - 08:59 AM

These shotgun fruiting chambers are tough when it comes to maintaining humidity. They provide too much FAE in my opinion. I prefer to design my tubs with fewer holes and fill them with polyfil to adjust the air flow. FAE is necessary for cubes but you can have perfectly acceptable results with less FAE than is often suggested. I get great yields out of 5 micron bags with no additional FAE or fanning provided. In my opinion there is more emphasis put on providing FAE with cubes than is necessary. It does however help in limiting potential for competitors to get a foothold. When you are dealing with gourmet species, like oysters, providing adequate FAE is far more important.

• ElPirana and Zorkloin like this

#5 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:10 PM

I just had a look and my perlite got a little dry. I was misting almost every couple hours to keep visible hum. on the sides. I mite tape up some of my holes. I'm just now seeing some tiny pins or aborts, and I had to re wet the perlite. I do not like moving the cakes around, but I'm glad I took a look.

I hope my cakes didn't get too dry

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:34 AM

You will see aborts at a relatively high rate any time you are working with multi-spore... It is to be expected... The rate of abort may or may not have something to do with the conditions within your fruiting chamber.... It may just be genetic so don't get too frustrated...

Eventually you will get your tubs dialed in to provide adequate FAE while maintaining humidity. Tub configuration varies for me depending on where I'm staying and the area's climate... In my experience, tons of FAE is less important for cubes than for other strains, oysters as an example.... Oysters are a prolific species but they aren't going to fully develop and fruit maturely if they are not provided an influx of O2... (Does that mean they are extra aerobic? Can something be more aerobic than another? I understand what it means to be aerobic but I am curious if there is a scale to gauge how aerobic something is?) I see very little difference between my 5 micron bags which don't get any FAE until opened for harvest and my tubs when fanning regularly....  Cubes can be very forgiving on the FAE front, the biggest benefit of FAE with cubes is that it helps stave off anaerobic competition...

I would play around with your chamber's configuration.... Get a bag of polyfil at your local craft shop or wallyworld... if you stuff the polyfil into the holes you can adjust FAE and set things up so that humidity can remain high and your perlite moist....

I am not a fan of the SGFC, many will agree, it is really hard to dial in the SGFC doobers...

• Zorkloin likes this

#7 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

I have an aquarium, bad idea?

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:55 PM

you can do cubes in an aquarium just fine... I'm not the PF guru but PF Tek and aquariums are well suited. you should be able to get the job done.

#9 Zorkloin

Zorkloin

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:18 AM

Well last time was an aquarium, and I didn't have mold , like I do now. I had to toss one cake out, and the FC smells like shit. The cake I tossed, I tore it apart, not fully colonized. So there's one thing.

So , learning experience. Two aborts of no use. Some cakes left but I dunno what to do at this point. Start over I guess

Edited by Zorkloin, 02 July 2020 - 12:05 PM.

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!