• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 464 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:18 PM

These little dudes are about two seasons old now. Is it safe to repot them? Or should I be waiting for season change or something? I'd like to give the wee ones in the center a chance to maybe bounce back. I think they're struggling now due to shading from their larger siblings and because the center of the mix isn't drying out as quickly as around the edges. I don't recall my mix ratios at the time but they are in a combo of worm castings, coir, perlite, sand, and pigeon grit.

Pedros

PedrosSide

• Boebs likes this

#2 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,090 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2020 - 07:19 PM

better now than when they're larger and have larger roots to damage

I like your idea of leaving the little ones in the center

sounds like a good soil mix

• psilyguy808 likes this

#3 Ronald Ray Gun

Ronald Ray Gun

Woodchip fever

• Black VIP
  • 525 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 29 June 2020 - 10:48 PM

When you are using worm castings, are they wet? Or are they dried worm castings.

I ordered a huge bag of work castings for various projects and it being wet makes it difficult to work with. Just mainly been making tea with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#4 425nm

425nm

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 464 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:18 AM

@pharmer - When I pot out the bigger ones should I still keep them all together or start splitting them up? What size should the get their own pots?

@ Ronald Ray Run - I just mixed them into the potting mix. Not really hit them with much in the the way of nutes since the initial potting.

• psilyguy808 likes this

#5 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,328 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:28 AM

I would definitely start minimizing the number in the pot so they have some room to gain girth as well as height.  The roots tend to want to fill the pot pretty quickly, so you want them to have room. I also see that the size of the cactus has some bearing on the amount of base room it has so plan accordingly.

If you don't mind re-potting frequently (in years), make the pot at least 3x the diameter of the cactus or a bit more. If you decide to pot a few with multiple's in the same pot, don't put more than three and give them room between as well as around the outer perimeter.

Once those little guys in the center start getting more light and room again, they should take off.

• psilyguy808 likes this

#6 pharmer

pharmer

Mycotopiate

• OG VIP
  • 4,090 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:30 AM

what Skywatcher said :)

re: the potting mix - you could substitute well composted plant material for the worm castings. It just needs to be without sticks and leaves etc which tend to hold way to much water. It might be more nutritious than worm castings, or have a bigger profile of nutrients..

Edited by pharmer, 30 June 2020 - 08:33 AM.

• psilyguy808 likes this

#7 psilyguy808

psilyguy808

Mycophage

• Free Member
  • 103 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

I report them at this size. And for sure, the bigger they get the more roots to damage. They start to blow up a month after repotting.16d4cc7e05b4c9fb1b81fd5e7c540bc5.jpg
  • Myc, Skywatcher and Boebs like this

#8 Myc

Myc

El Jardinero

• App Administrator
  • 7,204 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:04 AM

When they're small like that they tolerate flourescent lighting - like would be used to propagate cannabis seedlings.

I grow the small ones under an 18-hour on / 6-hours off grow cycle. They tolerate this scheme for a year or two and then begin to prefer stronger lighting. At this time, I'll re-pot them into 3-gallon clay pots. After hardening them off I'll ease them out to sunshine.

Just be sure to never introduce them to direct sunshine all at once. Use a gradual process.

Great job on parting out that pot of pedros !! (How's that for some alliteration.)

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!