• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:23 PM

Seriously... I hate them so much... They are worse than snails and spider-mites and they won't just leave. I guess they figure if they wait long enough, ill set out a new food source for them. The thing is, i don't have flies, i don't have bugs in my house, nothing... I don't get how they are getting in... How do i deter them? Is there any repellant for these assholes? Ugh God.... Do we really need fungus flies and gnats and mosquitos? Like i really think the Earth could do without those 3... Anyway, if you know any good ways to kill them at their source please let me know. I know they are laying eggs in my outdoor pan cyan, cubensis, and mexicana patches.. Do i have to let them dry up, or is there another option? Please, any help would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

#2 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,235 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:35 PM

gah... I thought i was going to have a decent response for you but this happening outdoors was a curve ball! I was going to tell you that they are laying eggs in you substrate and until you get all of the infected substrate blocks out it isn't going to stop.... Hopefully someone will have a solution for you... Nature has always found its own balance outdoors for me....

Have you considered planting some citronella?

• ChocolateStarfish likes this

#3 2Ape2

2Ape2

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 60 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:23 PM

I truly have nothing as far as a solution goes but I chuckled at your lamenting if we need them.  I like the one theory where Homo erectus discovered the psychedelic effects of some mushrooms by way of consuming the mushroom to ingest the larvae that was feeding within the fungus.  You'd could always just enjoy a little extra protein?!    :blink:

Edited by 2Ape2, 01 July 2020 - 06:23 PM.

#4 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

Once they have an infestation there is nothing you can do but stop growing for a few weeks. Put up a lot of flypaper and get a uv bug trap for the room.

• coorsmikey likes this

#5 sandman

sandman

BACTERIA!

• Honorary Former Staff
  • 3,814 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:40 PM

oh nevermind i cant read

• Arathu, PJammer24 and ChocolateStarfish like this

#6 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,235 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:24 PM

oh nevermind i cant read

stay in school kids, dont do drugs... You don't want to end up illiterate and on mycotopia like ole sandman....

• sandman, Arathu, flashingrooster and 1 other like this

#7 Skywatcher

Skywatcher

Walk's between...

• 7,376 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:48 PM

Diatomaceous Earth in and on the substrate is a good control but not full proof. If nothing else you may gain some satisfaction by knowing they are ripping up and shredding those miserable body's as they move through the razor sharp skeletons.....

• PJammer24 and ChocolateStarfish like this

#8 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,235 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:01 AM

Diatomaceous Earth in and on the substrate is a good control but not full proof. If nothing else you may gain some satisfaction by knowing they are ripping up and shredding those miserable body's as they move through the razor sharp skeletons.....

I have this in my will, back fill my grave with diatomaceous earth!! I want to be DAMN sure that I don't come back as part of the zombie apocalypse... With the way things have been going lately, I am pretty sure the world will end filled with zombies, hell, I've seen plenty of zombies on the news lately!!  At the very least, hopefully the diatomaceous earth will tear me up enough that you won't be able to tell that I am the zombie that ate you... I would get some comfort in that...

Edited by PJammer24, 02 July 2020 - 08:02 AM.

#9 pastyoureyes

pastyoureyes

Manure Muscler

• OG VIP
  • 652 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:13 AM

I have this in my will, back fill my grave with diatomaceous earth!! I want to be DAMN sure that I don't come back as part of the zombie apocalypse... With the way things have been going lately, I am pretty sure the world will end filled with zombies, hell, I've seen plenty of zombies on the news lately!!  At the very least, hopefully the diatomaceous earth will tear me up enough that you won't be able to tell that I am the zombie that ate you... I would get some comfort in that...

I don't think DE would tear you up unless you are the size of a small insect. Which maybe you are?
  • Skywatcher and ChocolateStarfish like this

#10 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,235 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 July 2020 - 08:31 AM

I don't think DE would tear you up unless you are the size of a small insect. Which maybe you are?

Really just depends on your perspective I guess!!

• pastyoureyes and ChocolateStarfish like this

#11 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycophage

• VIP
  • 168 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

I have this in my will, back fill my grave with diatomaceous earth!! I want to be DAMN sure that I don't come back as part of the zombie apocalypse... With the way things have been going lately, I am pretty sure the world will end filled with zombies, hell, I've seen plenty of zombies on the news lately!! At the very least, hopefully the diatomaceous earth will tear me up enough that you won't be able to tell that I am the zombie that ate you... I would get some comfort in that...

Really just depends on your perspective I guess!!
You're all insects to me -_- mwahahaha

Lol just kitten. Thanks for that, i have tried everything on these bastards... And because i have then outside... They easily get inside and infect my indoor grows as well. Had to throw away my entire mexicana chicon nindo grow after i got 3 pins because i guess one of them got in and layed eggs and they had infested the FC... Luckily non of them could get out because i make my chambers air tight where the only air that comes in and out is from my air pumps, or when i open the chamber to spray water in (probably how the bastards got in)... I took it outside and threw it all away:/ which really sucked because i had a lot not so cheap grow toys in that box... I just didn't want to risk bringing larvae into my house to hatch and give them a chance to do it again. It seems they LOVE mexicana mycelium more than any other kind of fungus. Those bitches will do anything to get to the mexicanas, but dont really care for pan cyans, cubensis, or zapotecorums from what it looks like.. It seems if they have an option, they want the mexicana mycelium.. Which i find intriguing.. Not that they wont infest and feed off the others too... But when there are mexicanas in there, 9 out of 10 times, they will only go for them and leave the others untouched.. Which really sucks, because of those little bastards, i have yet to try mexican fruit:/

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk

#12 PJammer24

PJammer24

Archetype Novice

• OG VIP
  • 2,235 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:46 AM

gnats are more of a nusience than anything else.... They are a pain and a little gross but I wouldn't be throwing out my projects because of them... I typically just grin and bare it until I have a pause in the action long enough to properly shut down and deal with it... similar to vert to me as far as how I deal with the issue

#13 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 09:23 PM

had a problem with awhile back, just dumped everything and waited a month before starting over, got 14 tubs right now, and no fungus flies.

#14 FunG

FunG

Been there, read that.

• Free Member
  • 866 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 06:51 AM

My solution is not a safe one.....keep that in mind.

It involves a can of axe body spray and a bbq lighter.....light those f'ers up!

But that's funG idea with lowered medication so probably not safe to do inside but seeing as your problem is outside, well then.....

And I was about to look for stmhunters thread on them to show you the remedy list..
But I cant find the darn thing atm.

Essentially if they're infesting a outdoor grow you're pretty much screwed since those flies can smell fungi for miles all around. I'd destroy the patch/containers throw them all away and wait until they go off to infest the next poor suckers grow then start up again.

Not much else can be done

But that homemade flame thrower will defiantly make you feel better if you zap some with it. It dod for me way back when I got the gnats.

#15 Alpoehi

Alpoehi

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 399 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:44 AM

Thought the creatures would die from the presence of Axe alone ... double-sided carpet tape could help. The idea is the flies want to have a rest on it, stick to it and cannot escape but I don't know how it works in humid conditions.
  • flashingrooster likes this

#16 stmhunter

stmhunter

stxsp

• Free Member
  • 682 posts

Posted 27 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

when I dealt with them, I just shut everything down for a month, they only live 2-3weeks.

#17 Severian

Severian

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 247 posts

Posted 01 August 2020 - 12:26 PM

I'm just now having to deal with the fuckers in my outdoor grow.

I just moved half of the bed to a more sunny, more airy location, with the hope that they're an indicator of an imbalance more than anything else. Terrain 'theory' of disease and all.

We'll see if this solves anything. In the meantime, let me know if you find an effective method.

• coorsmikey likes this

#18 Dabluebonic

Dabluebonic

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 278 posts

Posted 02 August 2020 - 09:25 PM

Back in the day my uncle had a bunch of black fly traps around his farm. They would literally be overflowing with them.

Im thinking if you use this method, and place them around your grow area you may ward off the scrubs. If you do watch the clip i like the yeast producing co2. But ime nothing bait them like rotten tomato wedges.

[Direct Link]

#19 Moonless

Moonless

Mycotopiate

• Free Member
  • 563 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 02 August 2020 - 11:11 PM

They are extremely bad in the summer months. Preventative measures are to best, once you have them you will likely have them for a whole life cycle which is around a 20 days. There are no good methods that wont hurt your mycelium and killing the flies wont't kill off the eggs and larve in your sub. Best thing to do is keep the fungus away from your houseplants when you start a new. Mycobag grows are good because the flies cannot get in through holes or open lid.

• FunG likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!