• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:02 PM

So,i am fixing to put zapotecorum var. Australia into the fruiting chamber, and i just have a few questions about them to anyone who has experience tripping with them.
1st question- i know zapos are similar to semperviva, and i have heard semperviva can be a little heavy on the body load... So with that said, do zapotecorum also have a high body load?
2nd question- i have heard 2 things about their environmental preferences, one saying they prefer less humidity to fruit and hate getting there caps wet, other saying that they love high humidity and don't mind getting misted a little. What is it?
3rd question- are they more potent than pan cyans?
4th question- if you have tried zapotecorum var. Australia, are the noticeably different from other zapotecorum strains?
Thanks for any answers.

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
  • bezevo likes this

#2 Jrotten

Jrotten

Amateurish

• Gold VIP
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

What is your substrate?

#3 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

What is your substrate?

My substrate will be 30% coir 40% humus-rich fertilizer mixed with worm castings 30% vermiculite, and I am going to add sand to it as well, I just don't know in what increment just yet.

#4 bezevo

bezevo

Mycotopiate

• Gold VIP
  • 967 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 23 December 2020 - 11:52 AM

so Starfish dod you get fruits ... any  trip reports

• ChocolateStarfish likes this

#5 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 23 December 2020 - 12:14 PM

so Starfish dod you get fruits ... any trip reports

Actually i made a mistake and opened my jar to do a sniff test because the mycelium looked very strange, and it contaminated a few days after the sniff test. I should have waited to do the sniff test when i was ready to put it in the FC. However, i have just started on them again and will definitely make sure to update this post as soon as i get fruits, which i definitely will this time. I have just put put agar wedges in a grainspawn bag, its not a super fast colonizer, but isn't exactly slow either. I estimate ill have zapo fruits by mid february to early march at the latest.

• bezevo and Moonless like this

#6 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 01:14 PM

moving pretty damn fast compared to last time, i only put the spores to agar and then put the agar directly to grain, so it is still MS, but it looks like i still got at least one amazing phenotype in there. Can't wait to see how it fruits, does anyone know if zapotecorum can fruit directly from grain or do i have to spawn to bulk? Either way, i would consider this a bulk grow, considering i inoculated a 10 lb grain bag with the zapos, if i spawn to bulk, i may have to spawn to like 2 tubs, maybe more depending on the optimal substrate contents. 

• YoshiTrainer and coAsTal like this

#7 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:07 PM

sect.zapotecorum Australia grows in Northern NSW coastal rainsforest and fruits during the monsoon season. If they didn't like wet and humid they'd never survive there. Potency is reported similar to Pan cyans.

• ChocolateStarfish and YoshiTrainer like this

#8 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 25 December 2020 - 06:49 PM

sect.zapotecorum Australia grows in Northern NSW coastal rainsforest and fruits during the monsoon season. If they didn't like wet and humid they'd never survive there. Potency is reported similar to Pan cyans.

See i have heard that it is "reported" as strong as pan cyans, but ive read several peoples' trip reports stating they were as strong as azurescens (in their experiences). Also, yes i am aware they like to grow in lots of water in the wild, i have just heard mixed things about its preferences when being cultivated indoors, pan cyans love rain in the wild, but if you mist those guys directly when they're pinning you'll get lots of aborts. Im trying to get info like that, though i do appreciate the information given.

#9 smellitstinknot

smellitstinknot

Mycophiliac

• Free Member
  • 53 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 26 December 2020 - 12:23 AM

I'm not sure azures are stronger than pans TBH but I think it's safe to say they're all in the same ball park (zaps,pans,azures)

Misting pans doesn't cause them to abort in my experience but poor FAE will. They get a lot more FAE in the wild. They also grow much larger outdoors so there's certainly some lessons yet to be learned about optimizing conditions for indoor cultivation. Attitudes are changing regards misting this species with past syringe feeders switching back to direct misting and increasing FAE to allow evaporation. 

#10 ChocolateStarfish

ChocolateStarfish

Mycotopiate

• VIP
  • 211 posts

Posted 04 January 2021 - 02:06 PM

I'm not sure azures are stronger than pans TBH but I think it's safe to say they're all in the same ball park (zaps,pans,azures)

Misting pans doesn't cause them to abort in my experience but poor FAE will. They get a lot more FAE in the wild. They also grow much larger outdoors so there's certainly some lessons yet to be learned about optimizing conditions for indoor cultivation. Attitudes are changing regards misting this species with past syringe feeders switching back to direct misting and increasing FAE to allow evaporation. 

I have never had azures, but i have grown a lot of pans, and I have always thought it unlikely that any mushroom could be much more potent than the wild keys island pan cyan strain I have, but people say azurescens are the strongest mushroom, so chemical analysis shows azurescens to, on average, be stronger than pan cyans... though i have never seen a alkaloid analysis done on pan cyans.. so i could be wrong.

And in my experience misting doesnt cause them to abort either, but i have heard a lot of people say it doeas (people more experienced than me) and so i strictly use a fogger now for all my grows, that way i dont have to risk it.  And in my experience a lack of filtered air exchange just makes them grow ridiculously tall with really small caps, like im talking almost a foot and a half tall stems (i have done it on a few occasions), what i have seen makes them abort is a lack of fresh air, like not enough air pumps. the way you get those crazy tall fruits is by having plenty of air pumps, but not enough places for carbon dioxide to escape from your FC and no fan inside either, and so not enough FAE, it gets plenty of oxygen, but there is also too much carbon dioxide in there as well.

Though, this method sometimes gives you the better harvest in weight, and in my opinion, without a doubt gives you the better harvest in potency.. the fruits just look completely unlike their wild counterparts, where they are short with larger caps.

Edited by ChocolateStarfish, 04 January 2021 - 02:10 PM.

• Jrotten likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!