#321 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 08 August 2021 - 02:33 PM

I'm curious what y'all think of this fascinating design:

post-102948-0-38097500-1628450272.jpg

It's probably not actually being 3-D printed (yet), but it's an indication of the kinds of things we'll probably see be developed with that technology. It's been on the market for a few years (I only found out about it recently) and retails for around $600. Caliber is .380, single shot (one from each barrel) striker-fire design so it's hammerless, which is good since a hammer on a cell phone would be a tell that it might not be a cell phone.

It's also an example of what I mean when I argue that technology is making things like gun laws moot. At some point people will be selling thumb drives with the required specs for a printer rather than actual weapons, which means gun smuggling and illegal sales will eventually take place digitally over the internet.

Next time you see someone holding up their "phone" apparently recording something look close to make sure it actually has a screen. Next up will be a revolver that looks like a water bottle, I bet.

Attached Thumbnails

• LookWhatIPrinted.jpg

• Myc and makinbones69 like this

#322 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 30 August 2021 - 04:22 PM

Well this is nuts (it's a Meal Team Six training video, I guess; be sure to watch to the end for an amazing example of how not to do it): https://twitter.com/...420336906104836

#323 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2022 - 09:14 AM

Thoughts?

[Direct Link]

I'm wondering if a 12 ga. sabot could be designed that would fire that gun out of a shotgun and then it would shoot the target when it got there.

Oh, and when one of the guys in the video shoots a .50 and says they fired "possibly the fattest kind there is" (among rifles, I guess) I'm assuming he was still unfamiliar with the relatively new, Ukrainian-designed and manufactured Snipex Alligator 14.5×114mm Anti-Material rifle (a jaw-dropping piece of gear to be sure).

A comparison:

.50 Bullet weight: 710 grains (This is the current M2 round.) • Muzzle velocity: 2920 fps • Muzzle energy: 13,438 foot-pounds

14.5x114 Bullet weight: 978 grains • Muzzle velocity: 3280 fps • Muzzle energy: 23,380 foot-pounds

I bet is has a bit of kick to it, lol. It's more like shoulder-fired artillery than a rifle IMO. You could hide a micro-pistol in one of the shell casings.

#324 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2022 - 11:55 AM

Those Ukrainians are pretty damn good weapon designers, and they picked an ammo that is readily available from their current advisory.  The 14.5 x 114mm round was first developed by the Soviets at the beginning of WW2.  They used it for the PTRD, a single shot, bolt action anti tank rifle.  It's also the round they used in their KPV heavy machine gun (designed towards the end of WW2), which is widely used as the main gun on the BTR troop carriers, and in the quad mount ZPU anti aircraft guns.  It is an amazingly capable, and devastating round.

post-136504-0-15528200-1650214614.jpg

Can you imagine hauling this thing around a battlefield trying to hunt german tanks?  It's measures in at over 6.5 feet long, and more than 38 lbs.  Not to mention the incredible amount of recoil this thing had to have produced.   But back in 1941 it gave infantry a weapon that could stop a light tank with a well placed shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.jpg

Edited by Juthro, 17 April 2022 - 11:58 AM.

• TVCasualty likes this

#325 TVCasualty

TVCasualty

Embrace Your Damage

• 15,092 posts

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2022 - 03:01 PM

That looks like a giant anti-tank zip gun. From the looks of it and reading about the round it uses I'm guessing I'd probably want a bit more padding at the butt if I were using it. I also guess that it's got a de facto floating barrel since there isn't much else to it, lol.

I just read that 14.5x114mm rounds are not legal to import to the U.S.. That is a big endorsement of how insanely powerful they are.

• Juthro likes this

#326 Juthro

Juthro

dope smoking hillbilly

• OG VIP
  • 10,304 posts

Donator

Awards Bar:

Posted 17 April 2022 - 03:24 PM

Yeah, it was built in typical soviet fashion.  Simple, ugly, and cheap, but also sturdy as hell, and effective. 

It also was much lighter than many other man portable anti tank rifles of the WW2 era like the Swiss Solothurn S-18/100, or the Finnish Lahti L-39.  Both of which weigh in at over 100 lbs.  Though both of those were 20mm, and clip fed semi-automatic weapons, but they were also much more complex to manufacture, and much more expensive.

Here is an informative video by one of my favorite gun nuts. Ian McCollum, or gun jesus, as he's affectionately known to his fans.

[Direct Link]

• TVCasualty likes this

Like Mycotopia? Become a member today!